The Sun Came Out and Dried Up All The Rain

by Lauren on September 10, 2011

Something strange happened today…

I woke up and saw the sun.

I haven’t mentioned this on the blog, but for the past week, we’ve been experiencing some catastrophic weather including some of the worst flooding our area has ever experienced.

Schools were closed, people were evacuated from their homes, many people have died.

It’s been like something out of a movie.

The destruction of this flood has left many people homeless or with severe damage. Luckily, where I live, it hasn’t been as bad and we’ve been very blessed to not have experienced any water damage or leaks in the new house.

I am sure the people of Pennsylvania did a little dance today for the fact that the rain subsided and gave us all a much needed break.

Saturday mornings are one of my favorite days of the week because I get to wake up first thing and teach RPM.

Pre-teaching fuel is always the same….

Rudi's Whole Wheat English Muffin, Sunflower Seed Butter, Mashed Banana, Honey

Today’s class was CRAZY!!!  The ventilation in the new spin room is broken and the humidity today was out of control. At one point, I thought a few people were going to pass out.

RPM is a very intense workout. You burn anywhere from 600-800 calories per class and loose about a liter of water.  As much as in shape I think I am, I am ALWAYS challenged by RPM which is why I love it so much.

After I’m done dying teaching, I hit up the Body Pump class that follows.  My two favorite classes back-to-back is a fantastic way to start the weekend.

I got home around 9:30am and realized I still had the whole day ahead of me.  The best part about working out so early is that you never feel like your day is shot.  I had some errands to run and then made it home for lunch.

Chobani with granola, peppers, snap peas with hummus

Pineapple, Orange, Hemp Smoothie

I realized that after I finished lunch, I really had nothing else on my to-do list for the day.  It was an odd feeling considering my days lately have been overloaded with to-do’s.

I went down through a list of things I could have done, but then ultimately decided that it would be in my best interest to take advantage of the down time and just relax.

The relaxing unfolded right into the evening….

Red Newt Cellars White Wine

My parents gave this to us from their recent trip to The Finger Lakes.  I was looking for a crisp white with dinner but should have known that it would be a tad too sweet for my liking.

The wine may not have been the best, but the food made up for it.

Grilled Tofu over Tomato and Feta Quinoa

For the quinoa salad, I simply prepared a 1/2 C of quinoa, mixed it with fresh tomatoes, feta, basil, evoo, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Grilled Eggplant, Zucchini, Asparagus and Hummus

A huge vegetarian plate of goodness.

Going to continue relaxing right through the night.  I hope you are all doing the same.

Take care!

Lauren September 10, 2011 at 10:43 pm

That breakfast looks SO good. What a combination! I need to start trying new things because that seriously looks delicious!

What does sunflower seed butter taste like exactly?

And I woke up this morning and my eyes felt like they were burning. I haven’t seen sunshine in SO long. Even though it randomly rained later in the day for like 4 minutes, PA definitely looked bright and sunny today!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life September 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Okay, first, all of your eats today look DELISH.
Second, I don’t know HOW you do RPM and then BodyPump?!? I feel like my legs would be like jello! Then again, that’s how they usually feel after I attempt just any sort of spin class on its own ;)
Looks like you had a great day, girl!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 11, 2011 at 8:42 am

It was SO NICE to see the sun yesterday, but it’s cloudy again here in southeastern PA today! As long as we don’t get anymore rain, I’m happy!

Amanda September 11, 2011 at 11:42 am

Girl, I don’t know what happened, but your posts haven’t been showing up in googlereader for me!! I’m so glad I just decided to click on the link off of my site to view your blog.

This flooding has been so crazy..in my area too. Glad to see you are alive and safe!! Happy Sunday!

Neyal @ Looking Up While Slimming Down September 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm

All the flooding everywhere is awful! Your food looks so yummy, especially your tofu and grilled veggie plate. Yum!!!

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ September 11, 2011 at 5:38 pm

wasnt this flooding crazy?! The school where I work was cancelled for two days and it took me an hour to drive to a supermarket that usually only takes 5 minutes. My prayers are with anyone who had major damage, is out of their homes, etc. it was just awful!
dinner looks yummy!

Erica September 11, 2011 at 6:07 pm

oh my gosh! That flooding looks purely nuts! I’m glad you’re ok! Teaching first thing Saturday mornings totally rocks. Glad your class is going well :) . Gotta love when the temperature is out of control in the room you’re teaching in. Hope your Sunday is going great!

glidingcalm September 12, 2011 at 12:10 am

The floods have been so scary! I have been keeping positive thoughts for everyone affected by the floods. Natural disasters are so tragic and hard!

sorry the wine wasnt fab… i love that your glasses match the bottle though!! :D

Also, i need to crash your house for dinner someday! your food is ALWAYS SO GOSH DARN BEAUTIFUL!

love you Lauren! happy monday and have a great week!!!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 12, 2011 at 6:58 am

Yum! YOUR eats always look so amazing! I am really loving the new blog layout :)