When I was little, one dish my dad would make often was fried rice. He spent hours in the kitchen chopping ridiculous amounts of veggies all to make one gigantic batch of the best fried rice I have ever had. I’m still not sure of his secret but I’d like to think I learned a few things about make this dish with my many years of experience of taste testing.
Even though my taste has changed over the years, I still find this dish to be a huge crowd pleaser. Every time I make this at home, Toly comments that it is one of his favorites. It’s also so easily adaptable. You can add the veggies you prefer, the protein of your choice and keep it pretty healthy by controlling the sodium, oil and fat.
Vegetable Fried Rice with Tofu
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm tofu, drained, pressed and cut into (1/2-inch) cubes
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup frozen edamame and chic peas (drained)
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sake (rice wine)
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.oil to pan.
- Prepare tofu by mixing 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of hoisin sauce in a bowl. Add tofu and stir to coat. Place tofu on a coated baking sheet and broil for 5-7 min on one side, flip and broil another 3-5 min on the other side. Take out of oven and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a pan and heat on medium high. Add broccoli, peppers, and carrots. Sauté until soft (about 7 min). Add garlic, edamame and chic peas and cook for another 5 min. Remove veggies from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 another tablespoon of oil to the same pan you cooked the veggies in. Add cooked rice, remaining soy and hoisin sauce. Cook for about 5 min until browning begins. Make a well in the center of the rice and add eggs. Let the eggs cook into the rice for another 3 minutes.
- Add the veggies, tofu, pineapple to the rice mixture. Stir everything together and heat through. Top with sesame seeds if desired.
My rice may be organic and brown now, but this dish is just as fantastic now as it was back then.