Feeling Fall Salad

by Lauren on September 29, 2011

I mentioned a few days ago that the entrance of fall is not easing in as it usually does.  There is something about this season when you just know it’s in full bloom.  I’m taking about the moment you walk out the door and are embraced with a crisp clean essence that fills your lungs.  That very moment is when I know fall has arrived.  I have yet to feel it.

But I have been trying to accept the change to colder weather by welcoming fall foods back.

This salad is one example.  A true taste of Autumn. Sweet and savory butternut squash, earthy brussels sprouts, cinnamon glazed pears….I’d say that covers most of my favorite fall foods in one bowl.

“Feeling Fall Salad”

(Warm Butternut Squash, Cinnamon Glazed Pear and Brussels Sprout Salad)

• 2 Cups Baby Romain
  • 1/2 Cup Diced Butternut Squash
  •  1/2 Cup sliced Brussels Sprouts
  • 1/2 Ripe Pear
  • 2 tsp Cinnamon (divided)
  • 2 tsp Coconut Butter
  • 1 tsp Chili Powder
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1 T Fig Jam
  • 1 T Fig Balsamic Vinegar
  • 2 T FF Feta Cheese
  • Radish
  • Tomatoes
  • Dried Cherries
  • Pumpkin Seeds
Preheat oven to 450.  Toss the butternut squash and brussels sprouts in 1 tsp of coconut butter and coat with 1 tsp cinnamon, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste.  Roast for 20-25 min.
While the veggies are cooking, prepare the salad.  Place romaine in a large bowl and top with radish, tomatoes, dried cherries and pumpkin seeds.  Add feta on top.
For the pears, slice 1/2 of a large pear into large chunks.  Heat a skillets with 1 tsp coconut butter.  Add pear to warm skillet and cook for 2 min to soften.  Add cinnamon and let the glaze form for another 2 min.
Once the vegetables are done, take them out of the oven and place in a bowl.  Add the fig jam and balsamic vinegar to the bowl and toss to coat.  Place the squash and sprouts on top of the salad and top with glazed pears.
Serve with a slice of toasted bread (Cranberry Walnut in my case with a bit more fig butter) and sit back with the flavors of fall.

16 thoughts on “Feeling Fall Salad”

1. RunEatRepeat says:

I love brussel sprouts! Can’t wait to eat way too many again…

2. This looks delicious! I grilled pears this morning with cinnamon and put them over french toast with plain greek yogurt and I will tell you what, it was a fantastic way to start the day!

3. Karen says:

Your salad looks amazing!! Where did you get your fig jam?? By the way, Wegmans carries the Adora discs : )

1. Lauren says:

Trader Joes. And yes!! I just saw them there yesterday! :) I definitely stocked up.

4. Yum! Looks great! Brussel sprouts are definetly once of my faves :)

5. EricA says:

Mmmm! This contains so many of my favs too! We had our first squash tonight-fantastic

6. This salad sounds wonderful! I love adding fruit to salads! :) I have actually never tried brussel sprouts so maybe this would be a good place to start!

7. This salad sounds delicious! Cooking pears with coconut butter?! I need to try this.

8. your salad looks great but what i just noticed was the sidebar pic of you drinking wine.. i LOVE THAT pic of you!! :)

1. Lauren says:

Awww, thanks Averie! That was taken in Napa. It truly captures everything I love. :)

9. This salad looks delicious! I love butternut squash and brussels sprouts. I’m definitely going to have to try making this. :)

10. Wow. That is the best looking salad, I love everything you added!!! I have yet to try fig butter, but I’ve only heard fantastic things about it :)

1. Lauren says:

You should definitely try it! It’s wonderful.

11. katie says:

girlfriend- this looks SO good!! Ahhh i miss you so so much! I hope you are doing amazing. i am LOVING coconut butter and coconut oil these days- sooo good! love YOU sista!

12. I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and maintain checking for brand new information.

Comments are closed.