Another Fall Salad

by Lauren on October 25, 2011

With the change in seasons, I find my taste begins to change as well. Summer has me longing for huge crisp salads filled with ripe tomatoes, vibrant greens and some kind of sweet fruit. In the cool fall nights, I crave nothing more than a warm, comforting bowl of roasted vegetables.  I find the best way to ease into the transition is to incorporate the best of both worlds.

I will still get my salad fix, but these days, I’m embracing the goodness of root vegetables and winter greens.  This salad was created on a whim when I opened my crisper drawer and noticed a bounty of fall vegetables that needed a reason to be used. I never have a recipe until I come up with one in my head, which is actually the beauty in making salad creations…they hardly ever require a step-by-step plan and it’s nearly impossible to mess up.

Here is my latest fall inspired grain salad that I am sure you will enjoy just as much as I did.

Roasted Root Vegetable and Quinoa Salad with Kale

• 1/2 C cooked Quinoa
  • 1/2 Eggplant, Chopped
  • 1 C butternut Squash, Diced
  • 1 small Zucchini, diced
  • 1/2 C halved Brussels Sprouts
  • 2 C torn Kale
  • 2 tsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Agave
  • 1 tsp Lemon Juice
  • 2 T Balsamic Vinegar (I used Fig Balsamic)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Season the chopped vegetables with 1 tsp of oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400° for 25-30 min.  Meanwhile, cook the quinoa and set aside.  In a large bowl, combine torn kale, olive oil, lemon juice, and agave.  Massage kale for a few minutes until leaves are soften and the oils soak in.  Add cooked quinoa, roasted vegetables, and balsamic.  Mix to combine.
You can add whatever toppings you like.  I went for avocado, dried cherries, walnuts and honey goat cheese.
As sad as I am to say goodbye to summer, I have a feeling these comfort meals will help me get by.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 25, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Woah! This is quite the combo! I love it, looks quite yummy :)

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ October 25, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Im the same way! I still want my veggie salads but I want more fall themed items! and of course a nice piece of sweet potato bread on the side. i am kicking myself for not buying some of that balsamic this weekend but Bertolli just came out with a few new flavors of vinegar…pinot grigio white vinegar…AWESOME with pears and goat cheese!!!

Lauren October 25, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I know!!! I am so mad they didn’t take credit cards because I just ran out of my Napa Balsamic Fig. :(

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 25, 2011 at 9:37 pm

looks delicious!! i love roasted root veggies. as much as i miss summer salads with fresh fruit and crisp veggies, warm winter salads are definite delicious. my go-to dinner is a huge batch of roasted veggies, tossed with raw spinach and topped with melty goat cheese. yum!

EricA October 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm

How fun! I am making a fall salad for a potluck this weekend and have similar flavors in mind

Alexia @ NamasteYoga October 26, 2011 at 7:02 am

what a great combo!! i am in love with warm winter salads. most people dont like eating cold salads in cold weather but they just dont know how good a fall inspired root veggie salad can be!

Sami October 26, 2011 at 9:36 am

I love that salads are SO versatile….you can make a different one for each season! (:

xo.

ps- the pita pit is downtown! it’s right across from Spice, I think!

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness October 26, 2011 at 1:27 pm

This looks delicious! I have actually been craving salads lately and I’m loving the way roasted vegetables add another flavor dimension, so good!!!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables October 26, 2011 at 2:58 pm

This looks delicious! And I actually HAVE most of these ingredients on hand! I made butternut squash fries yesterday and I have some leftover squash to use!

{ 1 trackback }