In the Spirit of Halloween

by Lauren on October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Halloween has always been one of those holidays that I could take or leave.  As a kid, I loved dressing up and getting candy, but as an adult, I find it more of a pain.  I know I know, I’m so cynical.  Where is my Halloween spirit?

This morning was one of those rare times when I couldn’t decide on a breakfast.  I frequent between 3 options during the work week…cereal, yogurt/fruit, or oatmeal.  This morning, the yogurt won.

This bowl contained Chobani, 1/2 a Banana, Raspberries, Blackberries, 1/4 C Dry Muesli, Granola, a touch of muffin crumble, Sunflower Nut Butter.

Much like my life, these bowls are usually complicated but full of love.  I want a little of everything but not too much of one thing.  Does anyone else find self fulfillment in their breakfasts? Just me…okay then.

Moving right along…

Lunch

In case you haven’t noticed, I’m trying to get as much healthy fats as I possibly can these days.  As soon as my doctor told me I need to increase my body fat  in order to get on a normal cycle, I took this as a challenge.

2 Eggs, Spinach, Goat Cheese, Avocado and Smoked Salmon

I don’t think I could possibly get any more healthy fats into this meal.  Go big or go home right!

I kept the sides simple with some greens and a slice of whole grain toast.

After lunch and work, I headed to the gym to meet my trainer for another total body strength workout.  I’m really enjoying these sessions as it’s teaching me to use my muscles in ways that I never have.  We focused on lower body today and ended with my favorite…pushups! (she says sarcastically)

I rounded out my workout by practicing the latest release of my RPM.  We launch the new one tomorrow so I needed to get it down before I teach it.

I got home just in time to put together dinner.

This mexican inspired bowl was a delicious mix of southwest veggies (zucchini, squash, and broccoli) with black beans, seasoned tofu and served on a bed of spinach and brown rice with quinoa.

Kind of like Chipotle only customized a bit more to my liking.

Something to do:

Go check out my giveaway for the perfect fall necklace from The Shabby Apple.

Check out this cool new site, Greatist. It’s a go-to source for all things health and fitness that contains some great articles and resources geared towards healthy living bloggers. They also have a fantastic A-Z Guide that tags just about anything you can think of into a categorized list of everything contained on their site.  Great stuff!

Do you get into Halloween or could you pass on this holiday?

EricA October 31, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Loveeee halloween! Its huge in charleston. Lunch looks amazing-im obsessed with eggs right now. Hope the launch goes well!

Marlena October 31, 2011 at 8:17 pm

You are so speaking my language! I love egg and avocado! Your journey is so inspiring.

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ October 31, 2011 at 8:18 pm

i am so not a fan of halloween. in fact i completely bypassed it and started listening to christmas music last week. haha perhaps a little premature but hey, i do love thanksgiving and christmas!!! why not extend those festivities and completely ignore halloween!
maybe im bitter because my mom never let us buy costumes growing up? haha we always had these ugly homemade ensembles that were pretty embarassing to wear around the neighborhood!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 31, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I could pass on Halloween! I like other holidays better :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 31, 2011 at 8:36 pm

meh – Halloween can be taken or left as well. I did have fun passing out candy though.

Amy October 31, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I love Halloween! Unfortunately it isn’t so popular here in Australia just yet. I brought in pumpkin spice cupcakes to the office and decorated my table at home with pumpkins. I even had a bucket of candy and some little Halloween toys for trick-or-treaters but no one turned up!
Oh well, guess I’ll just have to eat all the candy myself :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 31, 2011 at 9:01 pm

right now i could take or leave halloween… but that will all change when i have little kids to dress up!!!

your lunch looks delicious.

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition October 31, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I didn’t get dressed up this year and go out but I do love the holiday. I love decorating the apartment, scary movies and the fall food is my fave!

glidingcalm October 31, 2011 at 9:44 pm

mmmm healthy fats!! love me some avocado and smoked salmon!! :)

it’s okay, im not very halloweeenY either this year! didnt even dress up or carve pumpkins!! haha lame!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 31, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Mmmm my favorite foods consist of healthy fats – eggs, avocado, salmon, nut butter.

I’m not super into Halloween either. I like seeing all the kids in their cute costumes, and I will certainly take our kids out trick-or-treating some day, but I’m not crazy about it like some people. You’re not the only one! ;)

Alexia @ NamasteYoga November 1, 2011 at 6:54 am

as a european i never really “celebrated” halloween. but i love to read about it on blogs. we have some halloween parties in europe but they are more of an incentive to gather people and drink together! I love dressing up though!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 1, 2011 at 7:47 am

I’m not the biggest fan of Halloween; I didn’t even get that into it when I was a kid. I like the candy though!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 1, 2011 at 9:19 am

Finally, someone who agrees with me! I enjoyed it as a kid but now find it a hassle to have to make a costume for parties and such. I think I’ll like it again when we’re moved into our new home and have trick-or-treaters! Loving the healthy fats with your eggs! :)

brandi November 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

i used to love Halloween, too, but it’s definitely different now that i’m older.

we didn’t even have any trick or treaters last night! sad :( our new neighborhood doesn’t have many kids.