I Took The Bite

by Lauren on November 7, 2011

One thing I love about fall daylight savings…

Natural sunlight at breakfast.

Natures Path Pumpkin Raisin Crunch, Banana, Frozen blueberries, TJ’s Pumpkin Granola, piece of TJ’s Carrot Raisin Muffin, Sunflower Seed Butter, Flax

For a Monday, it was actually quite enjoyable.

After a meeting in the morning, I made an hour commute for another meeting with one of my committee members.  After we worked, we took a lunch break together at my new favorite spot in Lititz, The Tomato Pie Cafe.

Lunch

I’ve been here once before and absolutely loved it.  Every time I am in Litit, I make it a point to go back because there are so many things on the menu I want to try.

My last visit, I went with breakfast, today, I took a turn and went with a more savory meal.

Smoked Salmon and Artichoke Panini
smoked salmon, artichoke hearts & tomato with a creamy olive spread on a pressed panini

It was delicious!  The salty olive spread along with the bold flavor of the salmon was perfect.

Erin and I chatted away while we both enjoyed another lovely lunch at The Tomato Pie.  I’m not quite done with this menu so I will be back to try the rest of the items.

After lunch, we crossed the street to go into The Wilbur Chocolate Factory so that I could pick up a gift.

While we were there, these caught my eye…..

Oh goodness, these are AMAZING!

I did pick up a chocolate sea salt bar at Trader Joe’s but it somehow disappeared.  I’m guessing it never got placed in my bag but now I’m kind of glad because it gave me a reason to buy these and these are by far some of the best chocolates I’ve had in a long time.

I had another appointment with my trainer after work today which went well.  We did a total body workout but also incorporated body weight and balance by using the resistance bands.  I’m still really enjoying these sessions on so many levels. It keeps me focused on working my body in different ways, it helps me stay within my goals, and it keeps me accountable.  I also like the fact that I am tracking my progress.  Even though my goal may not be the “normal” outcome for most people using a personal trainer, it still can be just as hard to gain weight than it can be to loose weight.  When you want to gain weight the right way and for the right reasons, it’s just as important to take it seriously.

Tonight, I made a HUGE leap and did something that I have not done in years.

Tonight, I faced my fear and sucked up my pride and put aside any of my own feelings.

Tonight, I ate meat.

No, I didn’t dig into a T-Bone steak, but I did go back to something I use to enjoy before I went meatless.

These are probably the safest thing I can get to meat without actually having to eat an actual chicken breast and right now, they are the only thing I am okay with.  So it may be a small step in comparison, but to me, it’s a big deal.

I ate my sausage along with a quinoa, sun dried tomato, and feta salad over spinach and kale with roasted broccoli and asparagus. I also added a spoon of hummus to pull this all together.

I didn’t gag after eating this.  I even really enjoyed the taste.  These chicken sausages taste more like veggies than chicken but it’s a starting point.  So far, I seem to be digesting it just fine so that is also a good sign.

A few of you asked me what else I bought at Trader Joe’s so here are few things to note….

I love most Trader Joe’s muffins but these are by far my favorite.

Strawberry Coconut Milk Ice Cream? Yes please!

These babies were only .89$!!!!  I couldn’t believe it so I had the guy triple check and they really were marked down to under a $1.00.  Obviously, I had to get them.  You would have done the same!

The two best nut butters ever.

And much more!

You guys have ONE MORE day to enter my Popchips Giveaway.  An entire case could be yours!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 7, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Congrats on the meat eating! That is a big step! Hmmm sunflower seed butta….no words needed! Haha :D

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ November 7, 2011 at 8:25 pm

um i need to get my hands on those salted wilbur thingers asap! what a great sounding dessert!!!
i love all your trader joes goodies! i actually made those same chicken sausages this weekened with some spaghetti squash and spicy marinara i made myself! throw in a little spinach and broc. and it was an awesome veggie packed meal!
great job once again at conquering a fear. you are doing so well and i couldnt be more proud!!!

Amanda @ the beauty notebooks November 7, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I love love love Wilbur chocolates! I visited the factory once with my family when I was around nine. Wilbur chocolates are another thing I love about home :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

That panini looks and sounds delicious!!

I’m glad you enjoyed the chicken sausage – it sounds tasty! I love all of your Trader Joe’s finds too. I wish we had a TJ’s here in Utah so badly!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Those salted caramels look to die for! I want some!

Clare @ Fitting It All In November 7, 2011 at 8:41 pm

That’s a HUGE deal and I’m so proud of you for doing it! I can imagine myself starting the same way if/when I start eating meat again.
And those are some of my fav TJs finds.
Love you lady!

EricA November 7, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Glad you had a nice lunch out! Super happy the meat eating went well!! I know i keep saying it, but its so worth it for the outcome!!! Love tjs sun butter mm

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 7, 2011 at 9:59 pm

TJ’s chicken sausages and those muffins are two of my faves!! good for you for facing your fears… baby steps, right?

Melissa @TryingtoHeal November 7, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Congrats on eating the meat!! My boyfriend is a huge fan of those sausages so I’m glad you enjoyed them!! And small steps girly, I know you can do it!

Allegra November 8, 2011 at 3:13 am

Aghhhh I am vicariously living through your TJ’s purchases! So wish they had stores in both Canada and England (thankfully we do have a couple Whole Foods). Whenever we go down to the states to visit family or campuses, I always make my parents stop at the nearest TJs. They thought I was nuts until they realized how phenomenal it is!! Love the sausage dinner. Looks veggie-licious.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 8, 2011 at 7:58 am

Those chocolates look delish! I am loving chocolate with sea salt!

Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files November 8, 2011 at 10:06 am

I am seriously OBSESSED with that almond butter. I just had my oats in a jar in that container because I went through it so quickly! And I love the light in the morning as well! It makes it a lot easier for me to get up for my 8am class:/

Shannon (Healthiful Balance) November 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm

That strawberry coconut milk ice cream sounds soo good! I really wish there was a Trader Joes here in Germany, cause I would totally go get some right now! :)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness November 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Once upon a time I used to buy a giant tub of salted caramels from Costco…when they were gone only days later, I wondered how I kept gaining weight…mystery solved ;) I’m not a huge meat eater, but I do love Trader Joe’s chicken sausages, they are so good!!

Alaina November 8, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I love TJ’s chicken sausage! I bought the italian style with mozzarella cheese. It’s the best on pasta. :-)

Jessica (Dalyauthenticity) November 8, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I volunteer myself to meet you in Lititz for your next meal at Tomato Pie! I have not been there yet and live so very close!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats November 10, 2011 at 10:13 pm

What a big step! Good for you girl! Those are my absolute favorite TJ’s sausages! :)

Kelly November 13, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I am always amazed by people who don’t eat meat. Not in a bad way at all. It is just so different than me that I am almost in awe of it. Does that make sense. I mean meat is so central in my life (not really red meat…but I eat chicken almost every single day) that for me to not eat it would be equivalent to me not brushing my teeth or something. I do make efforts to eat free range, orangice chicken and I actually even have my own chickens so we can get fresh hormone-free eggs.

On another note…those Trader Joe’s muffins look great. It makes me so sad that we don’t have a Trader Joes. Although the rumor mill is that Austin, TX is getting one but not until like 2015.

Lauren November 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I totally know what you mean. I feel the same way about people when they tell me they don’t eat vegetables. I can’t believe it! :)
We don’t have a TJ’s either but the closest one is about an hour away. So worth the drive every time.