Bread and Milk

by Lauren on November 15, 2011

Evening everyone!

This week is kicking my butt already.  I have some huge work events that all happened to fall in the same week so I’ve been knee deep in that.

Speaking of knee deep….

That is how I would like to be in this bread for the rest of my days.

The Great Harvest CVille Crunch bread has taken a large place in my heart and my stomach.  I somehow managed to eat more than half of this loaf in 4 days.  I did share a little with Toly but I take most of the blame.  Seriously, this bread is amazing.  So dense you can cut it with a fork…kind of like cake.

It’s slightly sweet but has a distinct texture from the nuts studded throughout.

It will be a sad sad day when this is gone.  That day is near and I don’t want to talk about it.

This morning, I taught a fantastic RPM class and came home to grab a quick breakfast.  Cereal is fast but oh so good!

Natures Path Pumpkin Raisin Crunch, Nuts About Granola, Banana, Blueberries, TJ’s muffin crumbles, Sunflower Nut Butter, Flax Milk

Notice something new in there?

Flax milk!  I’ve never even heard of this until a few weeks ago.  I’ve been trying to up my dairy fat and omega 3 intake so as I was browsing the health food store’s milk shelves, I cam across this.

I’ve also been trying to increase flax in my diet so this milk seemed to have it all.

It’s been studied that daily ingestion of flax helps reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes.  It’s also a good staple for women around my age to include in their daily diet.

I was definitely a fan of the taste as well.  It’s different than almond milk but still quite tasty.  I honestly feel it’s best to include a balance of milks so I tend to go back and forth between almond, coconut and now flax.

The start of the day didn’t go quite as planned.  I wanted to be productive and get some appointments out of the way; however, traffic was terrible and I ended up wasting over an hour of my morning just trying to get out of a traffic jam.

Most of my meals these days are eaten quickly but I’m definitely not compromising on quality.

I put together an “everything” salad with leftover black bean and sweet potato enchilada filling (recipe coming soon), corn salsa, pineapple, tomatoes, edamame hummus and an egg.  Notice the bread?  Yeah, that somehow manages to make just about every plate.  I wasn’t kidding!

As much as I would like to say my day got better, it didn’t.  I wasted another 30 min of my day trying to search for my car in a city parking garage.  This seems to happen to me ALL the time.  It felt like I was stuck in a Seinfeld episode but after walking up and down nearly 8 floors, I eventually found my car.

Dinner was the one meal I was looking forward to eating at a slower pace tonight.

I made one of my all time favorite tempeh recipes.  Orange Pan-Glazed Tempeh from 101 Cookbooks.

The glaze is the best part about this dish.

I made a batch of my coconut rice (brown rice made with coconut milk, best trick ever!) along with some simple steamed broccoli.

This meal never fails me.

Now, I’m taking a deep breath and pushing through the rest of this week.

What kind of milk drinker are you? I can not digest cow’s dairy and I used to only drink soy milk.  Soy started to upset my stomach so I then switched to mainly almond milk.  I still haven’t gotten into rice or hemp milk mainly because they are so much more expensive.

Clare @ Fitting It All In November 15, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I stopped drinking cows milk a few years ago (don’t know why, I still eat yogurt) and switched to mostly soy for the protein. However I’ve been trying to cut back on so much soy so I just bought some almond instead!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 15, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I’m an almond milk drinker, but I put soy in my coffee!

Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files November 15, 2011 at 8:18 pm

that tempeh looks SO yummy! I drink almond milk now mainly because I prefer the taste better, but I’ve also noticed that by limiting my intake of dairy has helped with certain digestive issues..kind of gross but true!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Yum, that bread definitely sounds amazing! My loaf would pretty much be gone by now too. ;)

I mostly drink soy milk and cow’s milk. I also enjoy almond milk, but only sometimes buy it. Good to know about the flax milk! I’ve never even heard of it before. I’ll have to check into it.

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ November 15, 2011 at 8:43 pm

gosh that bread looks good!!!
i am definitely an almond milk lover but recently enjoyed some coconut milk which is fabulous for smoothies!!!

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 15, 2011 at 8:57 pm

i’m an almond milk girl, but you’re right, it’s good to switch it up. i don’t like the super low protein in almond milk… which is why i’ll occasionally go with regular cow’s milk (i try to stay away from soy for other health reasons).

i still have never tried tempeh. it kind of scares me… but your looks delicious!!

Lauren November 15, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Oh don’t be afraid. Tempeh is awesome! Some people say it tastes like mushrooms but I’ve never understood that. It’s dense and nutty and delicious!

Lindsay @ biking before bed November 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I am intrigued by flax milk. I have never seen it in my grocery stores. I try to mix up my milks too. I do mostly almond and sometimes 1% cows milk. I am in love with the silk coconut milk coffee creamer.

Lauren November 15, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Me too! The coconut milk creamer changed my life.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats November 15, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Your meals today all look phenomenal! I drink almond milk and soy milk. I just stopped drinking organic cow’s milk at the beginning of the summer. I don’t really have any reasoning why but I like the other options! :) Not being able to find my car is the story of my life. lol. I even search all over for it in just the small grocery store parking lot!

Lauren November 15, 2011 at 9:14 pm

We need to come up with some kind of tracking device. I’m always a chicken when it comes to hitting the alarm button.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 15, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Flax milk sounds so cool! I definetly want to try :)

Carly November 15, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I can’t have cow’s milk either. My new favorite has been coconut milk!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 16, 2011 at 7:58 am

That breads sounds heavenly!

I’m a cow’s milk drinker! It only upsets my stomach if for some reason I consume copious amounts of dairy. Otherwise, I’m fine!

Laura November 16, 2011 at 8:46 am

Whhhaa flax milk? Does it have more healthy fats for you than almond? This is intriguing me..I’m usually a soy fan but wanna check it out! Wonder if my wallet can afford it.

Alexia @ NamasteYoga November 16, 2011 at 8:48 am

i find most of the almond milks on the market too sweet. I either make it myself or drink unsweetened soy (preferably organic) or oat milk. they are my favourites! great eats, i love your veggie bowls!

Marian November 16, 2011 at 10:55 am

You poor thing having to find your car! I feel your pain! My husband always reminds me to look where I parked. I also forget where I parked when I go to simple places like trader joe’s or walmart. I always walk down the wrong isle. I have lots on my mind:)
And yum flax milk! Learn something new everyday. I’ll have to try that.

Alaina November 16, 2011 at 11:36 am

I hope that unlike the Seinfeld episode, your car started. :-)

I switch between regular milk and almond milk. I like regular in my coffee and almond milk in my cereal.

Erica November 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Push, push, push through it girl! Hate crazy weeks! Flax milk? I must try! I’ve never heard of it either. Since my lactose intolerance surfaced, I’ve been full on almond and soy. I want to try coconut too. Egg on salad= amazing!

glidingcalm November 16, 2011 at 5:14 pm

mmm that bread does look delicious!! and the flax milk sounds intriguing!!

also need to try to make brown rice with coconut milk!!

one again, your tempeh looks phenom!!

adore you!