The Best Leftover Meal

by Lauren on November 21, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving Week!

As of most of you, I am quite fond of this holiday.  Someone today asked me how I am able to love Thanksgiving when I don’t partake in the turkey part.  To be honest, the turkey was never my favorite part.  I remember loading my plate with mashed potatoes and corn and had barely any room for the turkey.  But one thing I do remember that is slightly missed was the hot turkey sandwiches my dad would make the next day.

2 slices of white bread, leftover cold turkey, and hot gravy poured all over.  The best leftover meal ever.

This year, I’m contributing a few side dishes and a dessert.  Leave it to me to bring the vegetable sides.  I think it’s just expected that I’ll be the one who will provide the only shed of green on the table.  I’m okay with that.

With the hustle and bustle of the week ahead, I prepared myself and made a few make-ahead meals for the week.  Yesterday, I made a large batch of my Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers to freeze and tonight, it was a batch of Mama Pea’s Spicy African Peanut Stew.

In the word’s of Mama Pea…”oh my peas this was good!”

The only change I made was I added a few sprigs of fresh rosemary which only elevated the flavors.

A side salad with spinach, goat cheese, raspberries, and avocado and a hefty hunk of C-Ville crunch. (still working my way to the end of this thing. I have one or two more servings left)

I hope this is a short and sweet week for you all.  Happy turkey prepping!

What are you bringing to the Thanksgiving table this year?I asked Toly this question tonight and his response…”I’m paying for whatever you’re bringing.”  Nice!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Yum! Looks like a great recipe!! My thanksgiving was a month ago…so nothing! Haha :)

Amy November 21, 2011 at 9:07 pm

No Thanksgiving here in Australia but I did bring a delicious Maple and Walnut layer cake into work yesterday. Because sugar really is the only cure for Monday-itis :)

Lauren November 22, 2011 at 6:33 am

True! That sounds wonderful.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 21, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I’ve been wanting to make that stew forever, and I don’t know why I haven’t!

I am brining a squash side to the Husband’s family, and I deglutenize (real word, I swear) sides for my mom and me at my aunt’s.

Lauren November 22, 2011 at 6:32 am

You need to make it girl, it’s sort of incredible!

Sarah November 21, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I’ve been hosting Thanksgiving for I think six years now, so I will be cooking the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, and sweet potatoes. My mother in law brings the stuffing and a couple of desserts (at least one is diabetic-friendly). My mother always has to bring rutabaga because several other people besides her like it and they all only ever get it at Thanksgiving! I think she’s bringing a healthy version of green bean casserole this year too. My husband will be making lasagna, because he doesn’t like turkey that much. His aunt will be bringing another dessert or two, and his sister is always assigned to bring the rolls! (She comes from the greatest distance, so we don’t ask her to cook.) I don’t think anyone will be going hungry at my house on Thursday! :-)

Lauren November 22, 2011 at 6:32 am

Oh my! That all sounds wonderful! You guys will be eating for days. ;) Happy Thanksgiving Sarah!!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 22, 2011 at 8:00 am

I’m not officially “assigned” anything for Thanksgiving, but I think I’ll be whipping up some desserts!

Carly November 22, 2011 at 8:49 am

I’m making a pumpkin pear tart, it’s delicious!

Alaina November 22, 2011 at 11:58 am

I love the turkey sandwiches that follow! I’m contributing the cranberry sauce and a pumpkin coffee cake. And a bottle of wine. :-)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats November 22, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’m bringing Oh She Glows Cranberry, Apricot, Pecan Rice Pilaf and I’m on the hunt for a good mashed potato recipe as we speak!

Lauren November 22, 2011 at 7:32 pm

That recipe looked fantastic!

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness November 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Love your salads!!!
I’m doing all of the cooking for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, I’m also the only vegetarian, so the giant platter of roasted squash and vegetables will be consumed by yours truly ;0

Lauren November 22, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Hear that girl!

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness November 23, 2011 at 6:38 am

I can already hear the comments now…
this will be my first vegetarian thanksgiving.

Lauren November 23, 2011 at 6:41 am

Nothing wrong with that!! The turkey is the least exciting part anyways….at least in my mind. :)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness November 23, 2011 at 6:56 am

Agree!!!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 22, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Mmm, that stew sounds wonderful. I’m going to have to check it out. I’m bringing everything to Thanksgiving this year since I’m hosting. It’s gonna be haaaard, but I’m up for the challenge. :)

Lauren November 22, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Good luck girl!!! I’m hosting Christmas but still nervous. Thanksgiving sounds way more intimidating to me but such a fun challenge.

Lindsay November 22, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I am having a VERY small Thanksgiving this year. My dad is going out of the country to be with Family in the UK and my brother lives overseas, so it will be just my mom and I, but we plan on having turkey, rolls, roasted potatoes, veggies, salad, and thanksgiving cake! :D

Lauren November 22, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Thanksgiving cake? Sounds delicious!

Steph! November 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm

What a coincidence that I made Mama Pea’s Spicy African Stew a few days ago too! It is so freaking good. I’m saving a bowl for one Thanksgiving dinner. Otherwise, it’ll be sweet potatoes, Gardein Chicken Scallopini and vegan stuffing.

Lauren November 22, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving menu…fit for a vegetarian queen! :)