Unleashing My Inner Photographer

by Lauren on December 5, 2011

I am having all sorts of fun with my new camera.

Playing with ISO….

Here is my basic knowledge….the darker the room and less natural light, the more ISO you want. The above was taken on ISO 400. Too dark.

Now this is the same picture but with an ISO of 6400.

Too bright.

Okay, one more try but with the ISO of 1600.

See the difference?

Fun fact about me.  I used to be really into print photography.  I took classes throughout high school and absolutely loved the art.  I wasn’t half bad either but I lost all of my knowledge and skills after not using them for 8 or 9 years. I would really like to take another class at some point to brush up.

I am so happy that Toly and I decided to exchange presents early.  We usually wait until Christmas eve but we both pretty much knew what we got each other and couldn’t wait any longer. We’re awful at keeping surprises.

By the way, in case you were wondering…..

I got him the Kindle Fire and it’s awesome!

I’m finding myself turning more and more to hot oats in the cold mornings.  It usually happens around this time of year.  Although I still adore my cereal or fruit and yogurt combos, sometimes you need a stick to your ribs breakfast in the winter months.

Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats

On top:
1/2 banana
1 tsp sunflowerseed butter
1 tsp pumpkin butter
2 T pumpkin granola

Oh heaven!

Lunch was pretty glorious as well.

Lunch

I was feeling eggs so eggs is just what I had.  I lightly toasted a slice of Dakota, added a layer of edamame hummus, spinach and topped it with a soft scrambled egg and egg white and a touch of goat cheese.

Roasted brussels sprouts and grapes to complete the meal.

Quite a delicious and satisfying lunch.

The rest of the workday wasn’t so bad.  I had some meetings and a few things to get done in the office and that was that.  The rest of the week will be a little busier and a little more running around so I savored my low key office day.

I had planned on making a large salad with roasted squash until I pulled out the pre-cut butternut just to find it was slimy.  No go on that idea.

Salad take two….

• Romaine
  • Grapefruit
  • Pear
  • Feta
  • Walnuts
  • Homemade citrus dressing- Splash of OJ, Pom juice, grapefruit juice, balsamic, agave

I still wanted the squash but settled for a massive sweet potato instead.

I usually go back and forth between toppings but this one was a winner.  Coconut butter, brown sugar, greek yogurt and cinnamon…yum!

Eaten by candle light and with a side of Adele.

A perfect way to unwind for a Monday.

Fun Question: Name the top three actors/singers/athletes that you find the most attractive – Mine (in no particular order) Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, Chase Utley. Not really sure why I was thinking about this today but it came to my mind and I felt it worth sharing.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 5, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Hmmm I’ve never tried coconut butter with sweet potato! Yum :)

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ December 5, 2011 at 8:37 pm

that is a seriously hard question! chace crawford, zach efron, bradley cooper…
zach efron may sound a little weird but a like a man that can dance hahah
love the new camera skills! the pictures look even more yummy than usual!

lynn @ the actor's diet December 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm

ha – love your last question – i’m going to stay silent on that one…i have a friend who made a list and wound up doing a love scene with one of those actors. her fiancee went crazy!

Lauren December 5, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Ahhh that’s crazy!

kathleen @ the daily crumb December 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm

lauren, your pictures are beautiful!! i have a great canon rebel book (canon rebel for dummies) that i’m finished with and would be MORE than happy to pass along. let me know if you’re interested!

Lauren December 6, 2011 at 6:46 am

Aww you are so sweet! I would LOVE to borrow it. Only if you swear you are done with it. :)

Kelly December 5, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Ryan Gossling, Bradley Cooper and Tay Diggs. Fun question!

Allie@LiveLaughEat December 5, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I sense a photography addiction blossoming :)

Lauren December 6, 2011 at 6:46 am

You know me so well. ;)

Pamela | Girl Gone West December 5, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Bradley. Cooper.

And I wish my ISO went up to 6400! Hella jealous. The one thing I’ve found helpful to do manually is change the white balance. Makes SUCH a difference, especially in my drab, fluorescent, beige office. Enjoy!!!

Sarah December 6, 2011 at 12:25 am

Lauren-that bread looks DELISH! and i love the pictures with your new camera.

I don’t usually leave comments on your blog but I love reading it and had a question that just sprang into my head. Do you usually just make dinner for yourself and Toly does the same? I ask because my boyfriend is INSANELY picky and before he moved (we are now long distance) i noticed I gained a lot of weight and have lost it/become more healthy partly because he is not around to steer my food choices in the wrong direction, haha. I was curious how you make mealtimes, more specifically dinner, still feel like an important part of the day to connect with your significant other when you don’t share the same taste in food.

Sorry if it is a bizarre question, I just was curious on your opinion! Anyone else is obviously welcome to weigh in as well :)

Lauren December 6, 2011 at 6:46 am

That is a GREAT question!! I’ve actually posted about this a few times but I love answering it. :) So rarely do Toly and I ever eat the exact same thing. I do have a strategy when it comes to our dinner time meals however. I pick one central idea…like stir fry or pasta or fish and I customize the meal so that it suites both of us. For example, the other night I made Thai noodles with seared scallops. Toly hates scallops so I made his with chicken. Or like last night, he isn’t into sweet potatoes so I made him a baked potato and a turkey melt. I love to make him things that he loves but I also know that we will never eat the exact same things and that is totally okay. I really don’t spend much more time by choosing one general idea and placing a few extra touches to each of our plates. :)

Sarah December 6, 2011 at 9:42 am

Those are great ideas! I guess I never really thought of it like that. My boyfriend’s mom does that when we eat as a family, but she ends up spending a LOT of time in the kitchen! I am going to try hard to not turn to eating out a lot with him like I did in the past when we are near each other again here in a month- new years resolution? :) Thanks for the great tips Lauren :)

Lauren December 6, 2011 at 8:15 pm

You’re so welcome hun!

Alexia @ NamasteYoga December 6, 2011 at 8:16 am

Great photos with the new camera. I am looking forward to seeing some fantastic photos and experiments with your camera in the near future.

Most attractive actors/singers/athletes? wooahh.. there are many! but i am a fan of bradley cooper and clive owen!

chelcie @ chelcie's food files December 6, 2011 at 9:30 am

you’re pictures look awesome!

London Accountant December 6, 2011 at 10:37 am

Your pictures look great. Good luck finding a photography course if that’s what you want to do but you could always keep experimenting independently – your ISO experiments seem very logical!

Lauren December 6, 2011 at 8:14 pm

You’re right, figuring it out on my own is fun but I’m also really excited to learn some more special features that I might be missing out on.

Alaina December 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Beautiful pictures! What an awesome husband you have. ;-)

Hmm..Ryan Reynolds, Jeremy Renner, Wes Welker, and Bruno Mars.

Lauren December 6, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Thanks! Yeah, he is pretty incredible. ;)

Jamie Walker December 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Your brussel sprouts look delicious!! Love your blog, just stumbled on it today. ;)

Lauren December 6, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Jamie! And thanks for stopping by. :)