Change Will Do You Good

by Lauren on December 11, 2011

The holidays have officially begun.  Toly and I attended our first Christmas party of the season last night.

Every year, my work holds quite an extravagant holiday gala for its associates and their dates.  It’s a black tie event with good food, open bar and lots of dancing.  We look forward to it every year.

I was lucky enough to have a pampering treatment done beforehand.  A friend and co-worker of mine is a Mary Kay consultant and asked if I would like a makeover before the party.  Of course I would like someone to do all the work of getting ready for me!

I brought along my friend Audi to take part in the fun as well.

The finished product was beautiful and much more glamourous than I ever would have been able to achieve on my own.  I’m actually pretty mad that I forgot to take an close up of myself.

After we were all dolled up, my friends and co-workers started to arrive.  I put together a little pre-party party at my house beforehand.

Since we were all dressed up and looking fabulous, we decided to do some pictures, prom style.

The girls….

The boys…

The boys posing…

Oh goodness it was a good night.  We partied well into the evening and then all decided to hit up the casino afterwards.  Needless to say it was a late night.  We didn’t get home until 1:30am so I had no intentions of setting my alarm this morning.

Unfortunately, my second alarm clock didn’t get the message and started licking my face at 8am to pee.  (Not Toly, the other boy who shares my bed)

I took care of Sammy and then started cleaning up the mess that was left from last night.  Eventually, Toly woke and I started on Sunday morning breakfast.

No eggs in the house so pancakes it was.

I’m still on my pumpkin pancake kick.  I actually don’t see this kick going away any time soon.

I was thinking about going to yoga but I really didn’t have any motivation to go so I traded that idea for some cleaning around the house.

Later on, I met a good friend for lunch and did the grocery shopping for the week. By the time I got home, it was later into the evening so I started getting things ready for dinner.

Which leads me to some news.  I’m back on meat.

I go back and forth with this decision constantly but I’m still having trouble getting enough protein into my diet now.  Ever since I cut back on cardio and have added more structured strength training, I know my protein consumption has to come up in order to balance this out.  Fish is awesome but not enough and I’ve figured out a way that I can do meat without feeling weird about it.

I’ve started incorporating meat into veggie based main meals.  Soups, stir fries, salads…etc.

Tonight’s dinner for example….

Creamy White Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 pound ground chicken (I used organic grass fed)
  • 1 can cannelloni beans
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
  • 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
  • 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 cup plain Chobani (creaminess)
Directions:
  1.  Saute onion and next 4 ingredients in a large pot. Add turkey and brown. Next, add the beans, broth, and next 6 ingredients (broth through black pepper), and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
  2. Stir in the yogurt and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring frequently.
Dinner was complete with a side salad  (raspberries and goat cheese) and a small piece of cornbread.
I definitely didn’t mind the chicken in this.  Not that I wouldn’t mind trading it for another veggie, but that isn’t going to help me now. Too much of anything is not a good thing and if I’ve learned anything over my years of healthy living, it is that our bodies will not change unless we are willing to make  the changes.
Hope the weekend was wonderful!
Have you ever made a change for your health that brought you out of your comfort zone?

Liz December 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Life is a process, and just when we think we’ve figured it out…BAM! Something else will work! I’ve recently had to go gluten free and what most people turn into negative (“ohmygosh, don’t you miss pizza?!? I could NEVER go gluten free!”) is actually a huge positive in that I feel SO.MUCH.BETTER and I know I’m treating my body right. And that’s all that matters. It’s an always evolving process and good for you for always keeping yourself in check :)

Lauren December 11, 2011 at 8:27 pm

SO well said Liz!

Emily December 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm

You look gorgeous! How fun that you were able to sit back, relax, and let someone else take care of your makeup. That’s the best.
I’ve been a vegetarian for almost 8 years and a vegan for just over 6 months. I completely understand how it can be difficult to get enough protein, particularly when strength training is involved. Major props to you for listening to your body and being willing to change your diet to get the nutrition it needs. :)

Lauren December 11, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Thanks so much Emily!

chelcie @ chelcie's food files December 11, 2011 at 8:21 pm

love the dress! you look so pretty! chobani to make soup creamy?! that’s an awesome idea!

Lauren December 11, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Thanks! :) And it is a fantastic idea! Chobani makes everything better.

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ December 11, 2011 at 8:41 pm

i am so proud of you for making the chili!!! and you look fabulous, as always for your party! are you coming to hershey soon??? meet up??

EricA December 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm

You looked totally fabulous!!!! Love the dress, makeup and hair! Fun times:). Im never over pumpkin. Glad youre on the meat train- you know i made the same decision for the same reason :)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life December 11, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Lauren, you look absolutely STUNNING!! I love that dress! :)

The soup also looks fantastic. Definitely “pinned” it!

Lauren December 12, 2011 at 6:56 am

Thanks Courtney. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 11, 2011 at 9:22 pm

LOVED that dress! Seriously, gorgeous! I think that you need to do what feels right for your body at the moment!!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats December 11, 2011 at 10:18 pm

The chili recipe sounds fabulous! I “starred” it for future reference! :)

Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 11, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’ve cut things out to help my body, does that count? Haha…as much as I love seriously sharp cheddar cheese and greek yogurt the affects were just too much for me to handle, so out the door it went.

Lauren December 12, 2011 at 6:56 am

Girl I hear ya! I feel like my life has always been about cutting things out but there are also times when we need to try and reintroduce thing back in. Our bodies are a lot stronger than we think. I don’t nearly give mine enough credit sometimes.

Clare @ Fitting It All In December 11, 2011 at 11:05 pm

ahhh i am so thinking about adding in meat to get enough protein since I want to strength train more. All these egg whites just aren’t cutting it. You are my inspiration!

Lauren December 12, 2011 at 6:55 am

It’s really not as scary as I thought. Trust me. ;)

Allegra December 12, 2011 at 3:31 am

What gorgeous photos! Your dress is simply lovely. You also have a glow that you didn’t have when you were running 10 miles every morning. Love the chicken soup idea, it’s on my “to try” list for the week! & pumpkin kicks should never go away :)

Lauren December 12, 2011 at 6:55 am

Thanks Allegra! I feel so much better too. :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 12, 2011 at 8:39 am

Sounds like a fun night! I love your dress! :D

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 12, 2011 at 8:58 am

you look awesome all decked out….lookin’ faaaabulous!!!!

and so is your food. YUM! :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb December 12, 2011 at 9:24 am

you and toly are adorable… and i can’t believe you got the boys to sit still for pictures!! matt has about a 3 second attention span for that sort of thing :)

this recipe looks delicious!

Katy Widrick December 12, 2011 at 9:31 am

I love having my makeup done! I always feel so pampered. Plus, I can never get my eyeshadow to look as good as they do. :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com December 12, 2011 at 10:10 am

You look gorgeous!!!!!! WOOO HOOO!!!! I love parties, I love dressing up and I LOVE getting my make up done :) YAY!! What a tasty looking recipe!!

I will be getting out of my comfort zone come Dec 26th when I cut grains out and eat higher protein!! EEKKKK

xxoo

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 12, 2011 at 10:50 am

Love your dress! Sounds like a fun night.

I’m definitely book-marking this soup recipe; it sounds awesome!

lauren December 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I love your dress! I’ve never had my makeup done, but that looks like so much fun!
When it comes to food, we don’t need labels :) We just need to focus on eating good, healthy food. Food is fuel, labels make life harder. That chili looks great, I’m definitely marking this as a recipe to try!

brandi December 13, 2011 at 10:16 am