Drink Up! How To Drink a Gallon a Day

by Lauren on January 19, 2012

Over the past week, I’ve made a new challenge for myself.  To drink a gallon of water every single day.

Seems a bit much but it’s really not as hard as I thought it would be.

Allow me to explain.  I drink water often.  I really don’t drink any other beverages during the day expect for coffee, seltzer, or (wine). Oh and maybe an occasional Kombucha from time to time.  In the summer, I drink a lot more than I do in the winter.  Drinking cold liquid when I am cold is something I don’t care to do so I find that my water consumption from November to April is significantly lower.

I’ve been meaning to add “drink more water” to my to-do list for about a month now but it didn’t become a priority until I started to get bad headaches almost every day for nearly two weeks.  (Don’t worry, they are a side effect of a new medication, there’s nothing wrong with me.)  I’m not about to pop advil multiple times a day so I figured now was as good of a time as any to bottoms up in hopes to bring me some natural relief.

Here are a few tips that I’ve found works for me in making sure I get in my daily gallon:

1. Invest in a large water bottle (24 oz) and carry it with you everywhere. – I carry my Camelbak with me everywhere and make it a point to fill it 5 times during the corse of my day.  If it’s always in my site, it’s always in my reach and I think about it a lot more when it’s starring at me.

2. Mix it with lemon   - I like the taste of plain water, but sometimes you need just a little flavor.  I squirt some lemon juice in a cup and fill it up with h2o.  The lemon is refreshing and adds some taste.

3. Drink before your meal - I never used to drink water in the morning but now I make it a point to drink a full glass with breakfast.  Not only does this prolong my favorite meal of the day, but it helps me digest what I eat and fills me up.

Along with my lemon water and apple cider vinegar cocktail, I also enjoyed a bowl of pre-made pumpkin oats.

(Recycled Photo)

I basically downed this bowl in 5 minutes.  Thursday mornings are always a rush because I teach spin at 5:30am and I make it to work by 7:30am.  Pre-made breakfasts are a must on this day of the week.

I think I spoke too soon about being slow at work this week because today I was slammed.  Funny how that happens.

Anyways, after a meeting, I had time to come home and grab lunch.

Lunch

The last of my turkey meatball muffins over kale, nooch, sprouts and tahini.

Along with a cup of sprouts.

Anyone else love the crispy leaves?  I think they are my favorite part.

I realize I’ve eaten the same things this week but I’m on a fix and it works.

By the time I got home and did my Jamie Eason’s Live Fit workout (shoulders and abs), it was time to start dinner.

This salad used up every vegetable I had left in the fridge.  Roasted broccoli, eggplant, sun dried tomatoes, spinach, sun dried tomato chicken sausage, hummus and balsamic.

Now that I’ve consumed all of the food in the house, the question is….what we will eat for dinner tomorrow? Hmmm…time to get creative.

How much water do you drink a day?

Something to do:  Check out my latest post on NAG!  Exciting stuff going on in the world of granola and a new yogurt product to look out for!

Tasha January 19, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Hello! I’ve been following your blog the past few weeks. I am new to the blog world but have gotten so many awesome recipes and yours is one I’ve just found to be very fun to read! At any rate wanted to share you should try lime in your water. I love it even better than lemon!!!

Lauren January 19, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Hey Tasha! Thanks for stopping by and for your comment. I will definitely give lime a try. :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Good goal! I need to drink more water :D

Lily January 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm

The crispy part of the brussel sprout is my favorite! My hubby was always a brussel sprout hater until he tasted them roasted – now he loves them :)

PS – I love your blog!!

Erica January 19, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I totally believe in always carrying a water bottle! I carry mine at all times and usually drink around 96 oz a day! YES- the crispy leaves are totally my favorite part- amazing. And I am making a batch of turkey muffins soon too- deliciousness. Happy (almost) weekend

Melissa @TryingtoHeal January 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I normally drink an insane amount when I’m out in the field, but lately I’ve been slacking! right now my trick it to drink a glass before and after a meal…and drink all my nalgenes i fill every morning!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 19, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I love water – I probably drink well over a gallon every single day. I can’t get enough!

Clare January 19, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I drink a gallon a day. It makes me feel great but I also spend a considerable amount of time visiting the ladies’ room. Just sayin’. :)

Lauren January 19, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Oh girl, I do! I had to get up FAST from a meeting this morning. It goes right through me.

Tina @ Best Body Fitness January 19, 2012 at 9:22 pm

The crispy leaves are definitely my favorite part too. And I have to have my water cold, so investing in an insulated bottle that keeps my water cold is huge for me to stay on track of drinking.

Alaina January 19, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I used to be so bad about drinking water! And I was getting headaches all the time. Now, I keep a full bottle with me and I drink, drink, drink! I agree that citrus is a great way to liven up the flavor. I like cucumber in water too!

Alexia January 20, 2012 at 7:13 am

i work in an office and always have a huuuuge mug/bottle of herbal tea standing next to me. sometimes i force myself to drinking more but in the end you get great benefits from it. there is nothing worse than suffering from dehydration or when your body is justweak from not drinking enough.
I dont drink with my meals since it dilutes your digestive fluids but in between meals i go crazy! i started drinking apple cider vinegar and warm lemon water in the morning now after reading your suggestion on it. i quite like the taste of it!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 20, 2012 at 7:23 am

I would love to drink more water, but my job makes it difficult. As another commenter mentioned, it usually results in many, MANY bathroom trips & I can’t exactly leave my classroom (& 25 15-year-olds) to run to the bathroom whenever I need to! I usually limit how much I drink throughout the day, but pound the water as soon as the final bell rings! :-)

chelsea January 20, 2012 at 10:15 am

I probably drink about only 3 cups of water a day. I mean it’s not an outrageous amount and not the “recommended” but it’s still a lot more than other people I like to tell myself haha. I mean it’s more than those people living off soda!

Jenn January 20, 2012 at 11:50 am

I drink a ton of H20 because I’ve noticed that when my body is dehydrated I tend to get tension headaches. It’s a quick and all natural fix that keeps me from taking advil all the time.

glidingcalm January 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

gorgeous foods!! i drink a ton of water everyday, though sometimes it does make me cold! I also love Green TEA!!!

i loveeeeeeeeeeeee the crispy b.sprout leaves the best too!! I’ve thought of peeling them apart and baking a pan of just b.sprout leave chips (instead of kale chips!). i may have to get around to doing that someday! :D

Jordan@almondjay January 20, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I drink lots of hot water every day. It keeps my body, which runs quite cool, nice and warm :)

After all of your pictures of those turkey balls I am going to have to make some!

Stephanie @ On the Road to RD January 20, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Great challenge! I’m going to join in!

Sarah January 22, 2012 at 8:42 am

Im a water a holic. I aim for 100oz a day. And i love crispy brussels! Broccoli and cauliflower is good crispy too!

{ 1 trackback }