The Lesson of Letting Go

by Lauren on February 13, 2012

On My Mind:

I often write about control.  I guess because it’s something that I continually battle day in and day out.  You see, I’m what they call a type A person.  I need my life to be organized, planned out and I need to be in control.  Now don’t get me wrong, I’ve made tremendous strides towards letting go and even in this past year but I feel like there are significant points where I am tested just how “okay” I really am with taking the back seat.

One thing I vowed to do this year (and which I publicly announced to you here) was to let go of the things in my life that I felt were unhealthy obsessions. Over these past few months, I feel as though I’ve reached a much healthier place with the things I once held on so closely to and I can honestly say I feel at peace with everything.  I’m running less, I’m eating meat and I’m feeling great.  So yes, on a whole, I’ve learned to let go and even though I still struggle with these things from time to time, I know that my life is better off because of the decisions I made.

But sometimes, letting go is much more than we think.  It goes beyond the surface and requires us to really shed our exterior shell and trust that the voice we are listening to is the right one.  Today, I was tested in my strength and as easy as it would be for me to say, “I give up”, I realize that doing so only brings me right back to the same dark place I once was.  So even though letting go may feel like a one time occurrence, we will continue to fall along the journey.  I choose not to hold on to the past but to trust that there will be something or someone at the bottom to catch me.

On My Plate:

Oats, Plain Greek Yogurt, Berries, Crumbled TJ’s Berry Muffin

Lunch

Romaine, Edamame, Avocado, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Egg Whites, Goat Cheese, Edamame Hummus

Butternut Squash, Black Beans, Chicken Sausage, Kale, Corn Salsa

On Tap for Tomorrow:

The WINNER of the V-Day “Chocolate” Granola Gift Box will be announced.  If you haven’t entered, here is your last chance!

Erica February 13, 2012 at 7:58 pm

You ok girl? I hope so! Hugs!!! I love how the greek yogurt in the first picture looks like whipped cream ;)

Lauren February 13, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Yep, I’m okay. <3

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 13, 2012 at 8:00 pm

oh girl, i can relate all too well to what you’re saying about needing to just let it go. i’m also very “type a” and always feel the need to be in control. it’s all about baby steps and learning along the way! my husband reminded me something yesterday that really stuck out to me. he said, “remember where you were at just two years ago and how far you’ve come since then”. he was so right. i was getting so caught up in that specific moment/situation that i didn’t even look at the big picture to see how far i had come. keep hangin’ on! i love your positive attitude! :)

Lauren February 13, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Thanks Ashley. That is so true. It’s so important to look at the entire picture. Thanks for reminding me of that girl. :)

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites February 14, 2012 at 5:49 pm

good word ashley!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 13, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Oh dinner looks awesome!

I totally hear ya about letting go and giving up control. I’ve definitely gotten a lot calmer about it all in the last few weeks. I’m just taking it as it comes!

Emily February 13, 2012 at 8:11 pm

lauren i honestly can relate to every single word you said in this post. im so afraid to break out of my comfort zone. im worried about being perfect, especially when it comes to my eating…like ive recently started eating a lot less meat simply for the reason that {my MIND tells me this…sometimes my mind takes control of everything i do..even what its not right} i think its “better” or more “perfect” to do this when honestly i know its not. but its just kind of happened. and i dont know if this is an ok thing or not. i still eat meat though. its just become less frequent. i also feel like i want to “perfect” in the rest of my life, like my social life, for example. and i think all thats doing is holding me back. most times i see myself worrying and trying to control so much that it all just backfires.

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 13, 2012 at 8:31 pm

another post i can 100% relate to. so proud of all the major steps you’re taking! so brave. and delicious food as always :)

Emilie February 13, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Definately can relate to this. My obsession is cleaning and organising! I drive my fiance crazy sometimes I am sure of it.

Lauren February 14, 2012 at 6:36 am

Haha, me too girl! :)

chelsea February 13, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I wish I could eat every meal of the day with you haha they always look so yummy

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 13, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I am a Type A, control freak as well and so I completely get your challenges and struggles. And THIS is exactly what I am working on: ” I choose not to hold on to the past but to trust that there will be something or someone at the bottom to catch me.” Good luck and you.go.girl! :)

hannah February 14, 2012 at 2:53 am

totally appreciate your honesty, it’s encouraging to see that defeating the strongholds in our life is possible! also, I must re-create each of those meals… deliiicious!

Tine February 14, 2012 at 5:34 am

Waw, that dinner salad looks so good! Started to read your blog a few days ago: love your updates! Now you have a girl from Belgium who reads your blog. :)

Lauren February 14, 2012 at 6:36 am

Hi Tine! Thanks so much for stopping by. :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 14, 2012 at 6:46 am

Hope all is well girly! Breakie looks great :D

Jordan Lynn (Ciao Cow) February 14, 2012 at 7:07 am

This is a great post! I have “issues” with control too. I wouldn’t say that I am type A, but when I started to attend law school, I became noticeably more uptight, and it really affected my quality of life. This year, my only goal is to be less stressed, so if things don’t go my way, I just to accept that I just cannot control everything that happens and move on. So far, I’m doing much better, and I am glad to hear that you are too. :) Happy Valentines Day!

Lauren February 14, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Such a great goal and so glad to hear you’re doing well with it. :)

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites February 14, 2012 at 12:16 pm

you can do it! keep it up Lauren! as someone who struggles with eating my feelings, I am on the exact OPPOSITE spectrum as you but the journey is just as tough if not TOUGHER for you! You’re an inspiration and the babies will come with God’s timing! I promise :D

Lauren February 14, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Thanks girl!

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com February 14, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Oh girl, you know I am a control freak, so I completely understand what you mean. As you always tell me, I will definitely be there to help you if you fall. You have been such an amazing friend to me, and if there is ANYTHING you need, dont hesitate to call. xoxoxox