Words From an Idealist

by Lauren on February 16, 2012

I realize the majority of my posts this week have been heavy and forgive me for throwing another one out there but when I have these things to say, I feel as though it’s worth sharing.  After all, this blog is called, “Say What You Need to Say” so I’m going to eat my own words.

In my bi-weekly department meeting, our team all participated in the Keirsey Personality Zone Test which examines 5 different personality types and evaluates your personal traits and work ethic.  I’ve heard of these tests before but this was my first time taking part in one and I was quite surprised at how accurate it really was.

According to the test, I am an idealist.  I really could have told you this. The idealist are most attuned to values and seeking great good in other people and in the world. All Idealists seek to have a life of meaning, to help themselves and others grow to be the best that they can be. They do not want to be a copycat of someone else, but want to be seen as a unique and valuable individual.

It’s ironic that this came up because this topic is one that I have with my husband often.  We constantly discuss our differences in that I am a dreamer and he is a realist.  He needs facts, evidence, real answers and logic.  I live off of the unknown, the “what if” and the faith.

Yes, we are different in many ways but I believe that is why we work together.  If someone were to ask me how I know that I am in love, my answer is always simple…it’s not complicated with him.  Life just makes sense because we are together.

My point is not to relay a love story with this but rather to emphasize that the difference in people is often times what brings them together.  I’ve often been quick to judge others for who they are but fail to step back and take a look at who I really.  The entire test was enlightening and I believe the best way to understand others is to first understand yourself.

Today was a teaching day at the gym so I made my breakfast last night so that I could grab them on my way to work.  Pumpkin Overnight Oats with blackberries, sunflower butter, and crumbled pumpkin protein bar made for a great portable meal.

After our team meeting, we followed it with our monthly department luncheon which happened to be BFL (breakfast for lunch), my idea!  Are you surprised?  I prepped a few casseroles for the event (french toast and vegetable egg) but failed to take any photos.  My bad.

Dinner came together in a snap.  I bought Trader Joe’s Turkey Bolognese Sauce last weekend on a whim. They were sampling it and I thought it was actually pretty decent so I picked one up.  Strategic food marketing at its finest.

I added some mushrooms to the sauce and served it over spaghetti squash, spinach and roasted broccoli.  Delicious!

I would buy this again although I do love my vegetable bolognese sauce.

So glad tomorrow is Friday and a three day weekend at that.  Have a wonderful night!!

Out of the 4 Personality Types, what would you place yourself as? – Guardian, Idealist,  Artisan, Realist ?

Something to do: Check out my latest post on NAG.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 16, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Oh I am definitely an Idealist! I just went through and read all of the descriptions – and the Husband is a Guardian to a T!!!

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm

i’m definitely a realist, and my hubby is an idealist — opposite of you guys! i deal in black and white, plans and logic. you’re right, though, together it just works :)

have a great night!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Defs an idealist :)

Pamela February 16, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I’m definitely a realist, and my boyfriend is the dreamer! I think it’s a good balance! :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 16, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I think I’m a realist!

Your overnight oats look so smooth; do you do something “special” to get that texture, or is it just the way they look in the picture?

Lauren February 16, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I don’t think I do anything “special.” My go to recipe is always 1/4 C oats, 1 tsp chia, 2 T plain yogurt, 1/4 C almond milk and I also added about 2 T of canned pumpkin. Maybe it’s the milk? I always add about a 1/4 C and at night, it’s rather soupy but in the morning the oats and chia expand and it becomes really creamy and voluminous.

lynn @ the actor's diet February 16, 2012 at 9:32 pm

interesting test! i think i’m a realist, which is a problem for an artist….you have to be crazy to do what i do!

EricA February 16, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Realist! Josh and i are totally different too and its what makes us work! Breakfast for lunch is wonderful. Email me if you need to vent or chat or i can give you my number too! Always here for you!!

Alaina February 17, 2012 at 12:17 am

I would have to say that I’m an idealist and David is definitely a realist. He needs cold hard facts before he can believe anything. I just believe what I want to. :-)

Katrina (gluten free gidget) February 17, 2012 at 7:57 am

Interesting! I think, for me, it depends on the day whether I am an idealist or a realist. Lately, though, I have been tending toward the idealist side. It just feels happier over there! :)

Maggie February 17, 2012 at 10:19 am

I tried that bolognese sauce at TJ’s last weekend as well and I almost bought it, but I stopped myself because I was really trying to stick to my budget and avoid impulse purchases! Now I’m craving it again, haha!

Lauren February 17, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Ohh go back and get it. :)

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family February 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I am a realist without a doubt. My husband is not but it does seem to work out better that way I guess!