Something I {NEDA} to Say

by Lauren on February 28, 2012

I'm sure that many of you have heard that this week is NEDA (National Eating Disorder Awareness) week and I'd like to take a few moments to express something to you all on the importance of this campaign.  Something that I don't usually talk about on the blog is my past battle with an eating disorder.  There really isn't a direct reason as to why I don't mention it often, I'm not trying to hide it nor am I ashamed of anything I did or went through.  I honestly just never wanted the focus of this blog to be about disordered eating…I want it to be about healthy living in every aspect.

That being said, part of being able to live free and healthy is to share some of my past experiences with you so that I can in some way serve as a testament to those who might be currently struggling.  If you want to hear the entire story in detail, feel free to check out this post, but in a nutshell, there was a time in my life when I was in a very bad place with food.  I let it control me, I let it bring me down, I almost let it ruin my life.  I've learned a lot about recovery through my journey but the one thing that I will always hold with me is that recovery is something you will live with every single day.  At first, it becomes all about you and focusing on doing the things that will make you better, but over time, you start to think less about yourself and more about helping others who are in the same place that you once were. In a way, you feel obligated because people that suffer from an ED can really only relate to each other.  Sure, friends, family, and doctors will lend their emotional and medical support, but unless you've been through the illness, you never truly understand the root of the disease.

Even if you haven't experienced an eating disorder, it's a safe bet to assume that you know someone that has.  This week is not about trying to "heal" anorexic girls…it's about taking a moment to stop the judgment and support those that are hurting by simply saying you care.  You don't have to understand or try to relate, you just have to realize that those who are suffering deserve the same exact life that anyone else does.  I urge you all to take a moment this week and tell someone who may be suffering from any pain, whether that be an eating disorder, an addiction, an illness or even an emotional hardship, that you love them.  From my experience all anyone who is going through an ED wants to hear is that they are accepted and loved for who they are.  And to be honest, whether you are fat or skinny, tall or short, black or white…I think that is all anyone wants to hear.

Today was definitely productive to say the least.  You know that to-do list I kept putting off….well, I busted through the whole thing and then some today.  I'm not sure where the incredible burst of motivation came from, but I wasn't going to question it.

There was a time when I used to eat waffles for breakfast.  For the past year, I've neglected my beloved frozen waffles and I don't really have a legit reason as to why I would do such things.  After seeing the beautiful waffle creations Cait posts, I was suddenly convinced that my waffle mornings needed to be incorporated back into my life.

2 Kashi 7 Grain Waffles, 1/2 cup plain Chobani mixed with cinnamon and chia, 1/2 banana, blueberries, sunflower seed butter

Waffles…welcome back!

These were delicious but a few hours later, I remembered why I don't usually eat them every day for breakfast.

I was hungry a lot sooner than I normally am from my oatmeal or cereal bowls.  I think next time I may try adding some protein powder to the yogurt for just a bit more stability in fullness.

With the said breakfast, I decided to take an early lunch.

Lunch

Kale, spaghetti squash, roasted broccoli, turkey meatballs, sprouts, nooch, hummus and tahini

I love having these turkey meatballs on hand for such a filling lunch.  I also roasted up a worthy amount of spaghetti squash on Sunday night in order to have these leftovers this week.

An early lunch also meant I was able to get back to the office to finish up loads of work this afternoon.  I was on a roll.

When I got home I started to feel hunger come on again and real honest to goodness hunger.  I could hear my stomach rumbling.  Maybe it wasn't the waffles, maybe I am just overly ravenous today?

Either way, I started working on dinner shortly after I heard my stomach talking.

Romaine lettuce, roasted squash and asparagus, edamame, goat cheese, roasted grapes, pan seared Tilapia, goat cheese, roasted almonds

The roasted grapes were completely impulsive but entirely worth it.  I saw a few recipes using roasted grapes this week, but I think it was Anne that gave the initial idea.  She doesn't lie, roasting them makes a delicious take on this fruit.  All I did was slice them in half and throw them in the same pan with the asparagus.

For dessert?  I'll more than likely be enjoying this little jem

Hope you all had a wonderful Tuesday!

Did you know it was NEDA week?  Have you done anything to show someone that you care?

[New Balance] Nicole February 28, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Great post, Lauren! Eating disorders are no joke and one of the hardest things to go through.  I read an article this week about eating disorders affecting alot more boys then norma tool, how awful! It's becoming an epidemic.
On another note, those waffles sure look good! Any day started with waffles is a good day. :)

Lauren February 28, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I know…it’s crazy to think that this is just a female problem. I know of many males who struggle with some kind of disordered eating too.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 28, 2012 at 8:50 pm

thanks for addressing this lauren!  i have also been personally affected by eating disorders, so what you're saying here means a lot.  i think it's SO important for people to be supportive and encouraging rather than to be discriminating and mean.
as for your eats, they look beautiful and delicious, as always!

Lauren February 28, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Thanks Ashely. xoxo

Steph @ StephSnacks February 28, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I actually am aware that it is NEDA week. My little contribution was actually re-tweeting Tessa, from Amazing Assets, blog post today. Her blog is all about recovery from disordered eating. As someone who suffered for three years with an ED, I'm just so happy that part of my life is over and I have been able to move forward and enjoy the present moment.

Lauren February 28, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I feel you girl. :)

Emily February 28, 2012 at 9:09 pm

as far as store-bought waffles go, kashi 7grain are the best for sure. i didnt know it was NEDA  week. i think its good to realize that those who have had or are recovering from an eating disorder arent too different from all of us. everyone has something they "obsess" about, everyone has a problem in their life. something that worries them or gives them trouble day-to-day. it just happens that sometimes this problem becomes more serious for some people, but they truly are not that different from the person sitting to their right, or to their left. its our job, then, to pick up the person sitting next to us and help them with their problems, no matter how small or severe that problem may be. thank you lauren.

Lauren February 28, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Well stated Emily!

Cait's Plate February 28, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Ah!  I LOVE the waffle stack!  Yours looks so incredibly delicious!!
I did know that it was NEDA week and I've actually been emailing back and forth with someone that's struggling to try to lend support!

Lauren February 28, 2012 at 9:21 pm

You gave me so much inspiration lady! :)

Cait's Plate February 28, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Haha I'm glad to hear it!

Cait's Plate February 28, 2012 at 9:23 pm

PS – Such a bummer the waffles didn't hold you over better! :(  You know what that means right? More reason to load up on the yogurt and nut butter ;)

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 28, 2012 at 9:50 pm

such a beautiful post, lauren!  as someone who has been there, i could not have said it better.  you i can only imagine your honesty and compassion are such a source of inspiration and support for so many people.  keep doin what you're doin, girlfriend!  xoxoxo

Genna Albano February 28, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Lauren, thank you so much for always taking the time to share your personal experience and advice. I find your posts very inciteful, and your meal ideas are wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to address eating disorders, also, and letting people know what this week is about!

Lauren February 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Hey Genna! Thanks for your sweet words. :) Hope everything is well. xoxo

Alexia February 29, 2012 at 4:16 am

i have been so  busy this week that i hardly have any time to eat my meals. I am dreaming about one of your delicious filling fresh salad bowls!! so need one right now!

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com February 29, 2012 at 9:48 am

thank you for raising awareness on a very serious topic that is obviously fatal and not talked about near enough.  You are a fabulous support to those out there who need help and a wonderful wonderful friend, to me. :-)

janetha February 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm

You are great for raising awareness and for always being so proactive about urging people to get help when they need it. I love you!

glidingcalm February 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Beautiful post!  I think you are awesome for bringing up NEDA and ED awarness week, and especially being able to share your own experiences with such honesty.  Bravo to you, and for sending a great message.  You did it far more eloquently than I would be able to!

And, as always, the food looks FABULOUS!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 29, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I love that you're raising awareness to this week!  Honestly, I wish I had as positive of an outlook about my past as you do but I rarely like to talk admit it or talk about it.  It's just a part of my life I don't want to think about anymore..

tara March 1, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Hi Lauren (again). I have a lot I want to say or ask. I know  you are real busy, but if you are willing to email me when you do get a chance (even if it is not right away) that would be cool.
I'm currently experiencing a lot of hurt with cramping and constipation. I'm on a long long wait list for a gastro doc. So, I'm trying to help myself in the meantime. I'm real stuck because I'm real low weight and I''ve had past eating issues and this has dragged them back up (more with orthorexia).
My doctor in the meantime recommended I keep meals simple but she urged me to make weight gain a priority because if I lose more weight (and I have been) I'll be at scary low weight and stuff. I don't want to go into the hospital (do you know the crap food they have there? Yuck.)
I think your issues were probably a lot different than mine, but could you email me with some suggestions for the ultimate simple breakfasts, lunch, dinner ideas (maybe a listing of 3 each?) and snacks. Its hard to be like this and I feel like I don't deserve grains and should stay away from them. But at night my hunger beast comes out after eating all day but being very cautious (so I end up eating a Lot at night and stuff like carbs and fats that I am hungered for). But this makes me feel like the next day I'm utter crap. And breakfast is oh so gross. Someone told me to try breakfast smoothies but I don't know how much fruit would be too much, how much protein powder or how much flax and stuff.
And I just bought Love Grown granola but I feel like I don't and shouldn't have it. You probably understand where I am coming from if you knew that I overeat thesse things at night so I honest to goodness need a good few days of "simple, clear eats". Maybe I should avoid grains those days? I can't overcomplicate meals or snacks with too much fiber or too much competing foods. So I'm thrown for a loop :(
Poor Tina at "carrots n cake" is experiencing colitits real bad. But she's so active, so if I were her I'd eat tons of bagels and stuff too. But I'm not really active (unless walking counts). This is all really discouraging and I don't know if I was depressed to contribute to this or depressed because of it. But it is an obsession. I don't do a thing any days cause I'm so busy worrying and thinking about my previous overeating the night before and trying to be "good" the next day but not knowing how.
Your dishes looks amaze. I liked the parfait idea you gave on NAG, but feel I don't or shouldn't have. I hate this thing I've become.

Lauren March 2, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Hey Tara. I’m so sorry to hear you are going through these issues. I can definitely relate. When I was at my worst with the last relapse, the only thing I could eat was simple meals. Breakfast was usually a bowl of cheerios and a white english muffin with butter, lunch was soup or pasta (white rice or white pasta), and dinner was always up in the air as I always felt the worst at night. I found that whole grains and fiber were my enemy. It was so hard for me to accept because I lived off of veggies and fruit but at that point, the thought of getting so ill was much more powerful than the desire to eat “healthy”.
I think it’s great that you want to get healthy and that you recognize that some of your current habits are not making you feel the best that you know your body is capable of feeling. My best advice is to keep eating the things that you know bring you comfort and cause no pain…until you can get treated. Then, you’ll be able to build your GI tract back to where it once was. PS- YOU DO DESERVE to eat granola and all other carbs. Don’t ever think because you don’t run 50 miles a week that doesn’t make you any less worthy than a slice of bread. Hang in there girl! xoxo

{ 2 trackbacks }