I Earned a “Me” Day

by Lauren on March 8, 2012

I feel like I've been all over the place this week.  Actually, I have been.  I haven't really done a "regular" blog post in a few days so I thought I would give you all just that tonight.  Nothing serious, nothing thought-provoking….just plain, simple, goodness.

To be honest, there is a lot I could talk about.  There are a lot of emotions going through my mind after the week I had, but I'm at the point where I just want to stop talking.  I want to stop thinking, asking why, and answering questions.  Does that ever happen to you?

Anyways, I'm thinking of planning a day to get away by myself soon.  I'm not sure what I will do or where I will go but I know I need it.  I used to think that escaping was such a cop out to facing your problems but then I realized that not taking time to process your internal emotions is just as bad as running away from them.

Okay, enough of that.  I promised you a simple light-hearted post and that is what you're going to get.

I've been having overnight oats all week.  I've not had breakfast at home one day this week so these come in handy to grab while running out the door.

Pumpkin Overnight Oats:

• 1/4 C Dry Oats
  • 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons cottage cheese
  • 1 tsp chia
  • 2 tablespoons of pumpkin
  • lots of cinnamon

In the morning I added a few blackberries, sunflower butter and a sprinkle of NAG Carrot Cake granola.

Lunch

The salad phenomena continues.  Are you surprised?

kale, spinach, roasted broccoli, edamame, cabbage, Amy's veggie bistro burger, edamame hummus

I have two dinners to share with you since I neglected to post last night's BFD creation.  I wasn't going to worry about it until I remembered it was one of the best frittats I've ever made.

egg whites, spinach, broccoli, sun dried tomatoes, feta cheese

I can't really explain how or why this particular frittata turned out so much better than most.  But like I said earlier, I'm tired of asking why and just would like to relish in the fact that it is what it is.

Tonight's dinner was pretty simple, for me that is.

kale, quinoa, roasted broccoli, honey-soy glazed tempeh

I'm going to catch up on a few emails, finish up some work, and face-plant into my bed.

Goodnight!

When was the last time you did something for yourself and only yourself and what did you do?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 8, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I'm thinking tonight might be the night I do something just for me: turn off my phone and go to sleep early.  I'm mentally and physically exhausted and that just sounds like the perfect thing.

kathleen @ the daily crumb March 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm

1.  love you!
2.  that fritatta looks delicious
3.  i'm thinking your "me time" getaway should be to chicago.  thoughts?!

Lauren March 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm

You read my mind!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 8, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I second this!!!!

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com March 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I got a massage and went to chipotle by myself! i took my kindle and just enjoyed a relaxing three hours ALONE.
the massage was totally relaxing and i never do things like that because i feel so guilty about spending the money.  why do I work if i dont do something nice for myself every now and then?!
get your purse girl, you deserve it!

Lauren March 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm

That sounds wonderful! Haha, oh I wish! I did just buy myself an iphone (finally) so I may need to hold off on the purse. :)

katie March 8, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I've read your blog for a long time and realize you want to start a family. Also, I know you have mentioned a few times your past issues with eating and body image and that you are trying to get healthier now in order to start a family (and though I realize that food and calories are only one part of the pregnancy equation, I just know from much research and personal exp. that it is a huge one that is often ignored because it is uncomfortable to face).
So, I mean this comment in absolutely no way to offend you, and as a mature woman with hopefully an open-mind I hope you will realize that (I do not pretend to know you or your situation at all). BUT, since it can never hurt to at least hear differing thoughts, then you can listen to this one and either discard it or at least sit back and think about it a few days.

You say you need and want to change in order to be a healthier place for your future goals. You know (as previous posts said) you need to cut back (maybe even eliminate) exercise and you need to increase calories. But are you really? Or are you staying within that cozy, safety zone of the pretty, perfect (albeit amazing) meals? (I know this from personal exp….that safety zone is so familiar and comfortable). But again, are you really? I have zero idea of your activity ( I would hope it would be zero, but that is your business again). But at least with the food. Your breakfast. Just 1/4 cup dairy . A quarter cup oats. Minimal this or that. I go to Julie at "pbfingers" who is healthy, whole and balanced and a similar breakfast she might has will be of double the oats, triple the dairy, double the fruit and granola and add-ins. Same with the meals. (just one little comparison, to be taken with a grain of salt…but seriously…think about it).
So again, I have zero idea about ANY of your current or past or future battles. BUT, if any (any ) of this perhaps sparks a teeny bit of "hmm" in you, then great. If not (or either way) just delete the comment or leave it be and no big deal. (no harm, but just one little food for thought in case – just in case – this might in any way apply to your situation.
Best wishes.

Lauren March 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Hey Katie- I tried to email you but it rejected your email. I’d love to address this on a personal level if that’s okay.

katie March 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Strange that it bounced. You can try the one provided here if you wish , it is an older account I can dig up.
But I did not intend to offend or try to pretend that I wisely know your situation or the "fix", so I am hoping you did not take offense to it. I'm not keen on hate mail (I jest).
Either way, yes, you can email me (again, I'm no expert on your situation or any other, just offering an alternative perspective, I just sincerely think that your ambitionis on the food and fitness front are low …really low)>

Clare @ Fitting It All In March 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm

take  a clare day in dallas?

Lauren March 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I need a Clare day!! Miss you! I was actually just thinking about you today.

EricA March 8, 2012 at 9:07 pm

You ok??? Love to you. I took a lot of well deserved me days during my stressful times! They included breakfast at my favorite spot, a workout and a pedicure!! Now, i want that frittata!

Emily March 8, 2012 at 9:07 pm

somehow, lauren, you always are having the same emotions and capture the same feelings on any given day that i am having too. im so thankful for that to have found your blog. so thankful. and also my pancake mix came! i just have have one more week and then im on spring break, so thats when i will finally be able to make them :) i cant wait.

Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 8, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Girl…I know exactly how you are feeling!! I hope you get some time away soon because I agree that it does help!!

Baking Serendipity March 8, 2012 at 10:10 pm

My "me days" involve Starbucks, the hair salon and a shoe store. I don't have them often enough! (Though my wallet might disagree!) Enjoy yours :)

Shanna March 8, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Good for you girl!

I tend to get manis and pedis as my me time. They feel heavenly and allow me to relax.

Lauren March 9, 2012 at 6:38 am

I already have one booked! :) <3 you

Leslie March 8, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Honestly after being a mom & wide for 21 years…I didn’t know the concept of doing something ” just for me”….the 1st thing I did just for me was RPM training in August. I met a bunch of really awesome people there & I feel they will be lifelong friends :) one runs marathons one runs marathons AND has an amazing blog that I enjoy reading .. :) )

Lauren March 9, 2012 at 6:38 am

That was such an epic weekend! :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 9, 2012 at 8:12 am

I'm getting my hair & nails done tomorrow which I think counts as some quality "me" time!

Alaina March 9, 2012 at 10:54 am

Oh gosh, I can't remember the last time I did something just for myself. It's been tough with both David and I being on vacation because we have been together all.the.time. I need some time for myself, to get pampered. Yeah, I think that should be my birthday present to myself. :-)

Karen March 9, 2012 at 12:50 pm

One of my favorite "me" activities is going to Barnes and Noble and just browsing.  I could spend hours looking at books and magazine.  I find it so relaxing there and it helps me to process things going through my head.

Katharina March 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm

That tempeh looks so good! Honestly, at first I thought it was fish lol.. you always make it look so appetizing. Also, thought that was a Sunshine Burger on your salad! I will have to check out those Bistro Burgers.. I'm assuming you recommend them? hehehe.

So, so true! I'm glad that you are taking the time for yourself to do this :)
xo, much love to you beautiful

Lauren March 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I do recommend them! They are much cheaper than sunshine but taste just like them. xoxo my dear!

ErikaMC March 9, 2012 at 3:02 pm

You must share your fritatta recipe! I've tried making one before and it didn't turn out too good.

Lauren March 9, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Oh it's super simple!  I just sauteed broccoli and spinach in a small pan.  I then added 4 egg whites (maybe 5 for a more fluffier fritatta) and added sun dried tomatoes and feta cheese.  I placed the entire pan in the oven under the brioler for 5-7 minutes.  it came out perfect!