The Pits

by Lauren on March 28, 2012

I know you are all probably sick to death of hearing about my foot but it's really the only thing in my life at the moment that is worth talking about. I won't bore you with the details but let's just say I went from feeling pain, to limping, to barely being able to walk.  I think it's time to get it checked out. sad

About the only cardio I am able to do is spin which is a good thing because I teach tomorrow morning.  I guess that means the race this weekend is off but I still plan on going down to DC.  I organize my company's team for this race every year so I kind of need to be there but I'm not happy about going and not being able to participate.

So I'll be calling the doctor tomorrow and praying it's not as bad as I think it is.  In the meantime, I'm trying to stay off of it but it's not easy considering my job.  Today I was on my feet all day working an event and now I am paying for it.

Okay moving on from feet to food, let's talk about what I ate.  It is What I Ate Wednesday after all….

I told you I would change it up from the cereal rut I've been in.  Although if I were to be 100% honest, I came so so close to pouring a bowl of cereal again this morning but then I remembered I promised something new.  I do love my yogurt bowls!

Lunch

As I mentioned, I was working an event for most of the morning.  After I was done with my shift, it was lunchtime and I happened to be in close proximity to a newly opened Pita Pit in the city. This is the only Pita Pit we have around and I've been dying to try it ever since it opened a few months ago.

I went with everyone's recommendations for the hummus pita and it certainly did not disappoint….

I wish I could remember half of what I put in this thing but trust me, it was outstanding.  Definitely a new favorite.

Oh and I had the pleasure of eating lunch with my new intern Curtis.

It's been so nice having him these past few days to help me out with a crazy work load.

Lunch ended and we were back to the office for the rest of the afternoon.

Once work was over, I ran over to the try and get some RPM practice in but I forgot that they added a new Wednesday night spin class to the schedule so the room was taken.  I decided to hop on the ET and listen to my choreo but started to feel some pain in my foot.  My workout was kind of a dud today.  I attempted to do a Jillian Michael's shred DVD this morning but couldn't do any of the moves that required me to move around and I got in about 30 minutes on the ET before I had to bag it.

Frustrated and hungry, I drove home only to rear end someone in my mile drive from the gym.  So, I probably should have stayed home today and not moved.  I would have been better off.

Thank God it was BFD night, my saving grace!

And with that good note, it's time to call it a night.

Any ideas on workouts I can do that doesn't require me to put stress on the foot?  I need ideas!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 28, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Oh no!! I hope your foot gets better soon! :(

Laura March 28, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Do you have access to a pool? That would probably be the best. Or some pilates and just work on toning…hope everything turns out alright!

Lyn Grey March 28, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I have recurring stress fracture issues in my toes with my left foot that require me to stay off it and I highly recommend Jodi Stolove's Chair Dancing dvds which are seated workouts for when it is really bad. I don't have flares of foot pain from the elliptical but I do get it from the treadmill and spinning and recumbent bike.

Leslie March 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Hope you’re better soon! I second the pool idea

Valerie Kirkland March 28, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Water aerobics:)

Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 28, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Sorry your foot is still bothering you – that sucks. I'm thinking of trying spin for the first time. Is there anything I should know before doing a class or is it pretty easy to just jump on a bike and go?

Lauren March 28, 2012 at 8:37 pm

That’s great! The instructor should help you get set up on the bike. From is the most important thing when it comes to spin and if you’re not using the correct form, you won’t get the most out of your workout. Don’t worry so much about the resistance and/or speed the first few classes. Just get comfortable on the bike and you can begin to increase your resistance and speed as time goes on. Let me know how you like it! It’s such an incredible workout. :)

Erica March 28, 2012 at 8:54 pm

oh noooooooooooooo! Bahhhh. I hope the Doctor has a quick fix for whatever is going on. Let me just say- that looks like one of the best BFDs ever! Definitely needs to go on your menu ;) . And we heart pita pit!

Clare @ Fitting It All In March 28, 2012 at 8:55 pm

So sorry about your foot dear. What's up with all the issues lately? The top of my right foot hurts, Tina's hurt…now you!! Hope it gets better.

Also now I want an omelet.

Courtney March 28, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Swimming may work, too! I hope spinning goes well and that you are back on your feet soon!

Leslie March 28, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Try punching a speed bag :) P.S Love your breakfast bowl, so cute!

emily (a nutritionist eats) March 28, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Ugh, I hope your foot heals quickly!
I've never lived near a Pita Pit – so sad!

AnneW March 29, 2012 at 12:39 am

How many egg whites do you use for your omelets? And how do you get it to turn out so nicely? Mine always get messy!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 29, 2012 at 6:29 am

I love the bowl your breakie is in, hope the foot feels better!

Amy J March 29, 2012 at 7:24 am

Lauren- take a break from exercising!!!  It's not the end of the world, and it's the BEST thing for your foot right now.  Relax, meditate, sit outside when it's nice, and listen to your body- allow it to heal.

Lauren March 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I have no choice now! :(

chelsey March 29, 2012 at 7:26 am

That sounds like a frustrating day – but if it makes you feel any better, that omelet looks DELICIOUS! I seriously want one right now!

michele March 29, 2012 at 8:35 am

All I ever do it walk. Ever.
Your food looks so pretty, but the portions are so small (?).
I've only followed your blog for a little/few monthish while now, so maybe I'm under the wrong impression, but I thought you might be starting for family mode and having difficulty in that respect? (Deep apologies if I am crossing  a line or being completely wrong in my interpretations. You can tell me to shut up and I won't mention or assume anything!). If it is somewhat rightish though, there is a thread here : http://www.gwynetholwyn.com/announcements/post/1716562
I am having "difficulty" in that area too. As a former athlete once upon a time, I have been "underweight" and stuff (no period) for years. Now I'm in my mid 30's and still nothing. I've succumbed to depression and panic attacks because of this also , so I'm kind of in a "mix" of bags. I gave up running and gym and things a long time ago. It was seriously making it worse (and as a high-end athlete, this was a tough thing to do). Unfortunatley I had run my body (physically and mentally) into a ditch ( a deep one). I have more complicating issues too, but I won't go into it. Either way, I'm now striving for a minimum of 2500 calories a day and my exercise is a daily walk (for 2 years and counting and I intend to keep it up)…a walk  can be quite welcome and "enough" if one stops comparing onself to 1000's of HLB's).
Although I don't really "relate" to that thread I linked above (I was never "ED" at all), there are aspects of it that certainly do play into my history. It is interesting though and I thought I'd share it with you.

Lauren March 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Hey Michele- Totally not out of line at all and I did mention this previously. I’d love to chat with you more but how about we do it over email? Thanks so much for reaching out.

michele March 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Sure, I'll email you when I get the chance (sorry if delayed). I'm not an expert and I'm in a real physical mess (I can guarantee you that), but I'm learning that I actually have to make things happen. I need to gain weight, I haven't exercised for a long time and I need to be "okay" with that rather than verbally abuse myself for it everyday.. I should OWN my walk and be PROUD of it. I have alreaddy implemented many changes with increased calories,  I've been sedentary for months now (but the calories still insufficient so I need to raise that, and its so scary, but  has to be done). I know my bones and body is weak and I've had no period for over a decade. I have a lot of repair to do. But I was scared when I visited that thread I linked and saw women in their 40's still battling this (many of them go on to achieve success stories, but they urge others to get a grip on NOW rather than later. It also scared me because I don't want to be playing these games 10 years from now either. I've already wasted enough time). It's going to be a long haul (it will be 9-18 months at least of sedentarism, gaining to my setpoint, likely overshooting my setpoint , and then slowly and naturally losing that "extra" weight because it just happens).
I will email you (from your contact above) when I have the chance. Apologies if it is not very quickly as I've stuff on my plate at the moment.

michele March 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Oh, and another thing I really need to work on is avoiding HL blogs. I'm in the process now of analyzing just how few I will continue to read. I'm kind of addicted to them ( sad hey?), but I know it is not helping me at all, it makes me feel worse about myself to be honest. But there are some that I think might be okay.
I'll be honest and say that your blog is a favorite of mine, but also I have a love/uneasy feeling about it because I do have that comparison trigger or I have a habit of thinking " I should" or crazy things like that. So time will tell. (p.s..that is no fault to you or your blog, that is just me being honest about the things I need to reduce in my life so I can have a tunnel-vision focus on me and my goals and the things that I want).

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com March 29, 2012 at 9:00 am

gooodness I wish I could help you out in the workout department but i am thinking swimming, yoga or pilates might be the only suggestions i have!  I am glad you enjoyed pita pit.  it is one of my favorites but i dont get there often, obviously, since its not super close.
i hope you have a better today hun! sweet frog opens april 14th so i am hoping you have some time in your crazy schedule to pencil me in for a fro-yo date :-)   i think i owe you a birthday treat!!!

Lauren March 29, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I am so happy you told me that! I had no idea of the official date! :) Just made my day. <3

Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers March 29, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Yeah, definitely pool workouts if you can. I'm excited because my in-laws are talking about putting in one of those never-ending pools–you know, the small ones that have a current built in so you can swim as long as you want? Like a "treadmill pool" haha.

Rachael March 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I would take this opportunity to take a break from working out, as hard as that may seem. I know it's a stress reliever for you, but maybe try experimenting with other coping techniques as a prelude for life with a baby (which I truly, truly hope happens for you in the near future). We have similar histories with food and exercise, and one of the hardest things for me to accept when I did have my daughter was that my own perceived needs (many of which were activity related) were simply not going to happen in the fashion that I was used to. Letting go now might help avoid a lot of uncomfortable feelings later on!
I

Lisa March 29, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Too bad the foot is worse :( I feel you, I can basically only manage spin, which I love, because my bruised tail bone is killing me. I probably should have taken a few days off when I fell on it. Maybe some yoga would be okay? You're BFD is making me crave an omelette now!

Asuma March 29, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Oh it must suck to have the injury :( I used to sprain my ankle all the time when I used to do karate before, and I can understand the frustration of not being able to be physically active!!! But as RICE says, rest is important…so hope you'll get enough of that, despite your spin classes, and the doctor will be able to help you with it. Get well soon :)

Meg April 1, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Oh my gosh girl! :D I have the same bowl that you used for breakfast!!!!!!!!!!! :D