Weekend Full of Surprises!

by Lauren on April 30, 2012

Well it's nice to be back after quite a jam packed weekend.  When I left off, I told you that Saturday was going to be a rather busy day as it was the day of my company's first annual 5k Race that I had helped organize.

The race was great!  We had over 200 people show up which was an accomplishment considering it was our first year and competing against quite a few other races and big events that day.

This was my first race that I attended as a facilitator and not a runner.  It was hard not to jump in with the pack but my role for the morning was the official MC, meaning I got to say "ready, set, go" which was so very awesome.

Overall, everything was well organized, well received, and we raised a lot of money for two very worthy charities.  I'm definitely looking forward to planning it again next year and hope to make it bigger and better.

Sunday was another busy but fantastic day.  I have been keeping it a secret but my sister and I had been planning a big surprise 50th birthday party for my dad all month.  His birthday was last week but we put together this party knowing that his friends and family would want to be able to celebrate this man.  My dad is one popular guy that's for sure.  We had close to 70 people show up.

We held the party in a local Italian restaurant that had a big beautiful banquet room upstairs.  Brooke and I got there early to decorate for the Hawaiian theme.

Fun fact about my dad…he is almost always wearing a Hawaiian shirt.  It's kind of an inside joke but we all have fun with it.  So he arrived (in his Hawaiian shirt, unplanned) and was totally floored.

The restaurant did a great job of keeping everyone fed.  It was an all you can eat pizza, salad and sub buffet and the food was quite good.  After we ate, I organized a "Roast or Toast" segment where people came up to share some nice words or a funny story about my dad.

There were a few more roasts than toasts but he was of course a good sport about it.

My dad has left some pretty fantastic memories on quite a few people and it was so great to be able to honor him last night.

So it was a long but very fulfilling weekend.  I have a feeling I will be saying that over the next few weekends as May is quite a busy month.

Today

I crashed hard last night and woke up this morning ready to start a new week.

Breakfast was simple but included everything I was craving.

Peach Chobani, Berries, Raw Oats, Chia, Almond Butter, TJ's Orange Cranberry Muffin Piece Crumbled (about 1/3 of a muffin)

Along with a few more berries because they are just so good right now.

I was stationed in the office all day with meetings and interviews so I was able to run home over lunch and put together this impressive wrap.

Lunch

My wrap had hummus, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, feta, avocado, turkey, and an white.  The egg white was a total impulse decision but definitely worthy.  I only had two slices of turkey (I usually use 3 or 4) and didn't think I would have enough protein so I grabbed an egg to make up for it.  The egg and turkey was delicious together!

On the side I had hummus.  Oh and a few veggies because it would be weird to just eat hummus right? :)

I've been trying to really bulk up my fats and proteins over lunch because for the past few weeks, I have been starving in the middle of the afternoon.  I'm not really sure why because I usually am stuffed after my meals but I can't seem to get satisfied these days.  I've also noticed I become extremely tired in the afternoon as well.  Again, not really sure where it's coming from because I think my meals are providing enough sustained nutrients to give me the energy but it never fails.  It happens every day.

Needless to say, dinner was welcomed tonight.

Organic wild salmon over grilled vegetables with corn salsa.  My goodness this was amazing!  The salmon was on special at the store and I was all over it.  Honestly, some of the best salmon we've had.

I'm digesting this big beautiful meal but I'll probably need something again before the night ends.  Like I said, my hunger is all over the place these days.  Perhaps it's all the strength training I've been doing or maybe it's that food just tastes so good to me in the summer.  Either way, I won't fight it.

Hope you all enjoyed the start to this week!

Betsy April 30, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Looks like a great party!  What exactly does your father do?  Career wise that is.

Lauren April 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm

He’s a pastor.

kathleen @ the daily crumb April 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm

berries are so, so yummy right now!  i stocked up this weekend.
how sweet of you girls to throw the party :)  looks like a blast!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 30, 2012 at 8:19 pm

What a nice daughter you are! That party looked like a lot of fun !

Mollie April 30, 2012 at 8:20 pm

your dinner looks so delicious!!!  And what a fun birthday party for your dad!!  Glad it was a success!

Jaime April 30, 2012 at 8:20 pm

FYI- Salmon can't be organic and wild at the same time. Organic salmon is farmed, wild salmon isn't. :)

Lauren April 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm

You are right! My bad!

Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 30, 2012 at 8:25 pm

That's so awesome that the race was a success! I'm doing my first 5k this weekend and can't wait!

Lauren April 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Good luck!!

Erica April 30, 2012 at 8:36 pm

awwwwwwwwww! Thats so sweet of y'all to throw the party! Glad it was such a hit! And very cool that you were the race MC. Def a big weekend for you. Now I want a wrap with hummus ;)

Karen April 30, 2012 at 9:05 pm

You did a great job organizing the 5k on Saturday!! The event was great!!

Lauren April 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm

So good to see you there! :)

Katie April 30, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Strength training kicks up my appetite like nothing else!  It's been proven to speed up your metabolism up to 48hrs after a workout (not to mention it builds muscle, which also speeds up your metabolism), so it's no wonder you're feeling extra hungry if you've upped your training! Keep listening to your boday and fueling those muscles :)

Lauren April 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Thanks for the tip Katie!

Cait's Plate April 30, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Aw!  What a fun and exciting weekend!!
And I agree – strawberries are just awesome right now!!  Also that dinner?  YUM.  You can come make that for me anytime you want ;)

Becca April 30, 2012 at 9:32 pm

What a great turn out for the race!  That's great.  I think having a surprise party for your dad was an amazing idea and really sweet :)  Looks like it was alot of fun!

Maddy April 30, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I would venture to guess you are tired and "starving " in the midafternoon because you are not eating enough calories. You mistakenly assume that just because you do (indeed) have an array of nutrients and nutritious foods, you are not consuming enough. I'd be starving also if I only ate that breakfast bowl in the morning. Obvious: the full muffin, more nut butter, entire yogurt container, etc. Lunch: add yogurt and fruit on the side. Afternoon trail mix and an ounce of dark chocolate. Add complex carbs to your dinner. Include an evening snack of hearty bowl of yogurt with granola, nuts, dried fruits, and chocolate chips.
You are shortchanging yourself and you do not even realize it. Your body could likely handle 2-3 times the energy just to cover your basic needs with very little weight gain or weight gain that would settle very quickly.
All the nutrients and color and nutrition in the world mean very little (realistically) unless the actual calories are heightened to meet the demands of your body (to pump your blood to your heart, to feed your brain with vigor, to supply your bones with lasting strength, to enable your body to  have a period…when you doo not supply your body with enough calories to do these things…then those things with "shut down'…i.e. less than stellar bones, less energy, missing period, etc etc (your body conserves because it uses all your energy instead just to sleep, eat, lie in bed, get to work…)
if you exercise, you are only draining the demands more and more. The body and its needs are remarkable. Don't cheat yourself.

Angela April 30, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Awww, that surprise party looks awesome! And your berryful breakfasts always make me crave berries :)

Cara April 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Looks like you had a wonderful weekend! Your wrap looks amazing!!! I ALWAYS get hungry and tired mid afternoon, and thus I always need a snack and that does it for me!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Looks like a great time with family. :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 1, 2012 at 7:05 am

Aw; so sweet that you & your sis planned that party for you dad! My dad turns 60 (!!!) in July, so we need to get working on something.

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com May 1, 2012 at 8:55 am

what an awesome weekend! we had a surprise 50th for my dad too and it was an absolutely fantastic way to celebrate a man I love :-)   I hope you have a great work week and get some time to relax!!! Cant wait to see you soon!

clare @ fittingitallin May 1, 2012 at 10:45 am

sounds like SUCH a great party for your dad!! how sweet of you!!

Renee May 2, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Oh my goodness, your grilled salmon and veggies always looks fantastic! Would you consider giving a picture tutorial?  I am so intimidated by the grill but would love to grill salmon!