I’m Addicted

by Lauren on May 8, 2012

I am glad you are all impressed with the amount of things I accomplish throughout the day but truthfully, I think it just seemed like so much when you break it down hour by hour.  I'm sure your list would look comparable if you did the same.

For being a subdued day yesterday, today made up for it.

I had to be at an early morning work event and needed to take my breakfast to go.

Blueberry Banana Spinach Smoothie and a waffle with almond butter.

In the smoothie went:

• frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • Spinach (lots of it)
  • 1 scoop Sun Warrior Protein Powder
  • 1 tsp flax
  • 1 tsp almond butter
  • Almond milk
  • 2 tbl plain Greek yogurt

I've really been into this smoothie combo lately.  It's sweet enough but slightly nutty from the almond milk and it packs in so much protein and fat that it actually keeps me full for hours.

It's hard for me to just drink a meal though which is why I needed a little extra chew with breakfast.  A lightly toasted Kashi waffle with a smear of more almond butter did the trick.

One thing missing from this breakfast was my daily cup of coffee.  I decided not to make a cup to go and figured if I needed one, I would stop after my appointment and grab something.  I really didn't think I would need it but I was so very wrong.  5 minutes into my appointment, I suddenly felt exhausted, cranky, and totally irritable.  So I guess I'm way more dependent on caffeine in the morning than I thought.  As soon as my meeting wrapped up, I hightailed it over to the nearest Sbux and filled the void with a grande soy misto and instantly felt better within the first few sips.  Oy, it might be a problem but I'm not ready to admit it yet. :)

My morning was filled with travel, meetings, more travel and more meetings.

I had a lunch meeting around 1:00pm and by then, I was so ready to eat.

We met at a local restaurant/bar that was your typical restaurant/bar fare.  Luckily I found a salad on the menu that I knew I would love.

Spinach, Salmon, Mandarin Oranges, and Sliced Almonds.  It's hard to go wrong with salmon.

After lunch, I had one more meeting and then finally was able to make the hour trip back home.

Dinner tonight was quite delicious!

I made a simple stir fry utilizing zucchini, peppers, broccoli and chicken sausage with a peanut sauce and served it over brown rice/quinoa blend with spinach.

I loved the chicken sausage in this stir fry.  I wouldn't normally think to use chicken sausage in a stir fry dish but it really came together nicely.

The rest of the week is steady with work for me.  I just keep pushing through and know that the weekend is one day closer with every accomplishment.

Night!

Do you drink coffee/caffeine?  Do you feel like you're dependent on it or could you easily quite cold turkey?

Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 8, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I drink coffee pretty much every morning, but I don't notice it all when I don't have it. I used to drink diet coke all the time and it was the same way. I really don't think the caffeine does anything to me! I can go to sleep right after if I want. That looks like a great breakfast on the go – nice and filling!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 8, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I've only been doing a few cups of coffee a week lately and I miss it so much every day! However, when I do drink it, it is such a treat!

EricA May 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Yummmm! That breakfast looks fabulous. I am a coffee addict. But i quit cold turkey when i got preggers-no problem

Steph @ StephSnacks May 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I'm totally addicted to coffee :( I have to have it within at least an hour of waking up or I'm totally screwed, for lack of a better word!

Clare @ Fitting It All In May 8, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Thankfully I keep it decaf most of the time so I'm okay if I have to go without! But if I don't get enough sleep, oh boy!

Anna @ Blissfully Banana May 8, 2012 at 9:10 pm

That smoothie sounds delicious!  I had one to day with banana, lots of frozen strawberries, a ton of spinach, and some dark chocolate cocoa power.  Your stir fry looks delicious! :)
PS I have been a long time reader but first time commenter!

Lauren May 8, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Welcome!!! And thanks so much for commenting! :)

Emma May 8, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Please eat more Lauren, you are so tiny. Don't you want to have children? I know you were upset at your weight, but do not go back to your old ways. You are still tiny and anorexic. Your face is really gaunty.

Maddy May 9, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I don't want to be mean or assumptive, but Lauren, I do agree with this commenter. Please don't be offended! You are just so tiny and if you are actually running and doing cardio daily (or any exercise for that matter) you are truly doing a disservice to your body. You might not be preparing for a child now, but your body is taking this abuse now (and I am living proof that  an elderly bony frame, lack of period, osteopenia, and poor joint mobility is the future ). Take care hon. Seriously!! And again, I say this only from one side. Of course, I don't have the full picture. But just felt maybe I could pitch in there.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats May 8, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Dinner sounds so good! You and one of my local friends both had peanut sauce tonight and have me craving it like crazy! :) I am right there with you on the coffee addiction. I fear it will only get worse when I start working night shift in June!

Diane @ Life of Di. May 8, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I definitely need my coffee. I'll admit – I'm dependent on it. I honestly think I'm partially addicted to the routine of having it. It signals that it's time to get the day started, you know? As for Soy Mistos…LOVE EM! :)

Lauren May 9, 2012 at 6:57 am

Yeah, I thought it was more for the routine with me but I guess it’s a little more than that. :)

Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony May 8, 2012 at 9:58 pm

When I was misdiagnosed a few months back, I had to quit coffee cold turkey, and it didn't impact me as much as I thought it would.  In fact, I now have coffee once in a while, and the caffeine gives me a bigger jolt since my body isn't as used to it!

Lisa May 9, 2012 at 12:31 am

Oh man, am I ever a coffee addict. I'm literally at starbucks everyday. Love it. I like it more for the routine though!

Alexia May 9, 2012 at 3:43 am

i could definitely do without coffee. actually i am drinking a replacement made from chicory and spelt malt- tastes like mild version of coffee… my stomach definitely does not like too much cofee– I get cramps etc- but afer a nice i.e. ITalian meal and I  love my espresso :)

Lauren May 9, 2012 at 6:58 am

Yes, there is something so wonderful about an espresso and triamisu after a good Italian meal. :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 9, 2012 at 8:00 am

I definitely need to have a cup of coffee or some sort of caffeine every day! If I don't, I get a headache.

Cait's Plate May 9, 2012 at 11:14 am

I definitely am addicted to coffee.  The days I go without it I have a headache…but I just love it too much to give it up!

glidingcalm May 9, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I love chicken sausage! it is so versatile! throw it on the grill, in the over, on stir fries, in a salad, in pasta sauce/pasta dishes, etc. Easy breezy beautiful, chicken sausage. LOL. I think im hilarious!

that salmon lunch looks awesome too! i love ordering salmon salads when I am out at restaurant! it's almost always that or something with grilled chicken or shrimp! :D
im so excited to use spinach in my smoothies too! just bought a big boxful!

HUGS TO YOU,
gc

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 9, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I'm addicted to coffee and there's no way I could quit.  I know it might not sound healthy, but it's something I don't have a problem with.  I figure it's better to be addicted to my morning cup o' joe than having that same need with drugs or alcohol.  Some say it's the same, I say it's different.

Maddy May 9, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Sorry to be a bother, but how much almond milk and how many blueberries in that smoothie? I'm struggling with ingredients and boy my smoothies end up not great.
i'm struggling with constipation and wondering what the heck to do. Do you know of websites or bloggers with meal plans you think would be great for that?
I love your eats. So jealous. I have no restraint :(
Also, can you provide a link to the kinds of wraps you use for lunches? They look like a good size versus the tiny scrap ones I see sometimes.