Everything I Eat in a Day

by Lauren on May 16, 2012

Happy beautiful Wednesday to you!

At least I hope it was as beautiful for you as it was here.

I'd say we earned a gorgeous day after a few days of nasty rain.  Here is a little fun fact about me: my attitude is completely different when it's raining than when it's sunny.  I honestly feel that Ben Harper wrote the song, "She's Only Happy in the Sun" with me in mind.

Another fun fact: I eat the entire apple (core and all) and I eat the entire kiwi (skin and all) but I can only eat a banana if the tips are cut off.

Speaking of what I eat and what I don't, I often get asked to post my exact meals or amounts.  To be honest, I never really do this on a day-to-day basis because I really don't want the focus of my blog to just be a food diary.  Yes, I post a lot of what I eat but mainly because I absolutely LOVE to cook and I love to share my meal ides and inspirations with you.  If I was just pouring a bowl of cereal and was so concerned about the exact measurements and nothing else, than that would make the feel and purpose of this blog entirely different.  No matter what, I won't win.  Meaning, I'll either be eating too much for someone or too little for another.  I live by one rule, I eat what works best for me and I always urge others to live by that same regiment.

With that being said, I do think it's fun to post a typical day's eats (in their entirety) from time to time.  After all, this is a healthy living blog and I know many people are interested in seeing what others eat on a typical day.  It also just happens to be WIAW!

Breakfast – 6:30am

This is a usual fruit and yogurt bowl with the special touch of my leftover baked oatmeal from yesterday's breakfast.

• Leftover Baked Oatmeal
  • Vanilla Chobani
  • Berries
  • 1/2 a Banana
  • Almond Butter
  • Almonds
  • Chia

The baked oatmeal is definitely better the day it's made but it was a nice addition to the bowl this morning.  Still tasted amazing!

My day was filled but I timed everything perfectly.  I had an awards presentation in the morning, interviews in the afternoon, and another awards presentation in the late afternoon.  Lately, I've been loving comfortable business dresses for the fact that they are easy enough to run around in but dressy enough for business functions.

Lunch – 11:30am

In between my presentation and sitting in interviews all afternoon, I had 5 minutes to run over to one of my favorite local coffee shops for lunch.

I know I've posted about Cornerstone Coffeehouse before, but it's truly my home away from home.  The owner is a good friend of mine and loves the blog (Hi Sue!).  They have awesome coffee drinks but also a really nice lunch menu with some of the best salads and wraps.  They also make killer smoothies but when I saw today that their newest addition had KALE and ALMOND MILK, I just about died.

The one thing I hate about getting smoothies out is that they rarely have almond milk and never ever have I seen spinach or kale in a coffeehouse smoothie.  I've always thought about brining my own milk and spinach but then I realized I would be better off just making my own.

This smoothie was incredible!  Kale, almond milk, banana and pear.  I couldn't have made it any better myself.

I also picked up the Spinach Super Salad.

Spinach, quinoa, chic peas, dried cranberries, carrots, edamame, pumpkin seeds and a homemade carrot ginger dressing (which was incredible).

Thank goodness for places like Cornerstone and their delicious healthy lunch options.

After my interviews were complete, I got into my car and headed to my next appointment.  On the way I snack on an apple and stopped for a little pick-me-up to get me through the rest of the day.

Afternoon Snack – 2:30pm

Grande Iced Coffee, one pump SF Mocha, one pump Coconut and a daily calcium supplement.

My day was long but great.  I got home, did some plyo work and then worked on dinner.

Dinner- 6:30pm

I think I'm changing my mind about the No Bull Burgers.  They are really growing on me.  I never ever disliked them but I just think I had a little higher expectations for them than it turned out.  I wish I didn't place such high hopes for them to change my world because they really are good, just not the best veggie burger I ever ate.

Anyways, the salad was romaine, cabbage, tomatoes, cucumber, feta, roasted broccoli and eggplant a No Bull Burger, balsamic and hummus.

For some reason, this salad took me almost an hour to eat.  Not sure if it was because I was replying to emails and comments or it was just super filling.

Dessert- 8:30pm

I eat something at this time every night.  For one, I wake up at 4am every weekday morning to run and I don't eat beforehand, so I make sure I fuel properly the night before.  This has always worked for me.  Seeing as I haven't eaten this yet, I have no picture but it will most likely be a small bowl of cottage cheese with blueberries and walnuts.  Or watermelon and grapes.  I can't decide what I'm more in the mood for tonight.

So there you have it.  A full day of what I put into my mouth.  Some of you may think it's a lot, some may think it's not, but either way, it makes me full, it keeps me healthy, it keeps me satisfied.  I never deprive myself, I never count calories, I don't worry about how much or how little.  I only do what I know works best for my body and this works and truly makes me feel the best.  Please know, that if I am hungry, I eat but my balance of proteins, fats, carbs and whole grains does keep me satisfied throughout the day.  I am very conscious to make sure that I am getting what my body needs when it needs it and that is what matters the most for me.

And now it's time for American Idol and that dessert.  I'm embarrassingly excited to see Phil Phillips perform tonight!

Night friends!

Do you plan out your daily eats and stick to it or do you like to just go by how you feel each day?

38 thoughts on “Everything I Eat in a Day”

1. Liz says:

I seriously LOVE that outfit!!! Chic and classy.
    I plan out my daily eats around workouts and other activities.

1. Lauren says:

Aw, thanks! I’ve had that dress for a few years and I never get tired of it. :)

2. j3nn says:

I do a combination of both; sometimes I plan every meal and bite that goes into my mouth, other days I wing it and change what I already planned. :)

3. that outfit above is sooo cutee! 😀

4. Jamie says:

I definitely plan all my dinners and lunch is usually leftovers.  Breakfast is almost always a bowl of cereal or oatmeal.  I need to plan snacks a little more of I reach for something not so healthy.  How do you get up at 4?!

Years of practice. :)

5. Betsy says:

do you drink anything aside from the one iced coffee?  no coffee in the morning, water or anything?  Your lunch salad looks delicious.  I cannot even imagine waking up at 4am to run.  I am an avid runner and clock ~60 miles/week but never at the expense of sleep :)  That's dedication, girl!

1. Lauren says:

I always drink a cup of coffee in the morning and I try to limit it to once a day but a few times a week, I will have an iced coffee in the afternoon. I always drink a glass of water with lemon and AVC every morning with my coffee and then tons of water throughout the day.

6. Your iced coffee concoction sounds delicious! :) I plan my meals if I have to work the next day but if it is my day off I just usually go with whatever I am feeling at the time! I always seem to be more hungry on the days that I work. Must be from the extra running around with patient care–maybe it is just the long hours though! Who knows!

1. Lauren says:

They just got coconut back at The Bux!

1. Alaina says:

For a treat, I love having the nonfat mocha coconut frappacinos. :-)

1. Kelly says:

Me too Alaina!  It's my fave!  I treat myself on the weekends!

7. Rachael says:

Your lunch inspired my dinner. Spinach salad with quinoa, cranberries, peas, sunflower seeds, chopped apple, red onion, and goat cheese. Yum!

1. Lauren says:

Oh goat cheese! Good addition!

8. Kristin says:

Yummm!! All of your meals always look like they are restaurant quality!  :) Your outfit today is one of my favorites that you have ever posted…very cute, stylish, and professional!  Would you be willing to do a post describing how you decided to go back to daily running?

1. Lauren says:

Thanks girl. Yes, I did post something referring to my decisions about that a few weeks ago but I will be happy to disclose a little more. :)

9. I MEEEEES you! Can I come visit this summer? But really.
    I am a huge fan of your coffee house friends. They have the right idea going for their cafe meals! And seriously girl, I feel you. My food amount-age always changes throughout the week, some days I eat like a trucker and others I don't understand what's up with my tummy.
    Love you!

1. Lauren says:

Will you PLEASE come visit me this summer? I’m not joking!!!

1. Of course!! I'll email ya and road trip 😉

10. Allegra says:

I usually plan lunch + afternoon snack, then have 2 ideas in mind for dinner so I can decide last minute what I feel like. I've been at the library until 10pm every night this week (Easter term hours – lengthened b/c English undergrads are in exams!) sooooo lately dinner has been a bowl of muesli, Greek yogurt, berries, and almond butter. Plus a drizzle of maple syrup :)
    The No Bull burgers look fantastic! Sadly England has really poor veggie burger options :( but I've been making my own using lean ground turkey.

Btw, I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but I seem to remember from talking to my dietician back home that caffeine inhibits the absorption of calcium? Just something to consider if you're taking the supplement with your Sbux stop! I am definitely planning on a caffeine boost later today – goal is to finish my master's dissertation by 8pm.
    Have a lovely day!

1. Lauren says:

I think I’ve heard the same thing about calcium and caffeine but I usually never take it with coffee. I always take it after lunch but I forgot yesterday and wanted it more as a treat to pair with the coffee. I sometimes just take them for the chocolate and not for the calcium. The added calcium is just a sweet bonus. :)

1. Allegra says:

omg I didn't even notice it had CHOCOLATE in it!! Score times a thousand!
        Off for my bux stop 😀

1. Lauren says:

Wait until you try it! All it takes is one little pump and you’ll be in coffee heaven!

11. Love your dress & bracelet! So cute!!

12. I like the way you roll – we eat pretty similarly! Although, my nightly snack is more of the cereal/granola variety. Can't get enough!!

1. Lauren says:

Oh don’t worry, I rocked the granola the night before! :)

13. How you make your meals look so pretty I will never know :-) I am really working on NOT planning as much, since I tend to obsess, but since I work too far to go home for lunch and pack everyday, sometimes it is hard not to.  However, breakfasts have been a bit more spontaneous and I even went out to dinner with my dad last minute yesterday, even though we went to a new place and I was a bit anxious about the choices.
    You are super inspiring girl and I cant wait to see you!!!

1. Lauren says:

You too my dear! Miss you so much!

14. Cait's Plate says:

I definitely prefer to take it as I go.  I like to eat whatever I'm craving at the time so it's so much better when I can just get what I REALLY want.  That said, when I was working full time I used to bring my lunch every single day (lunch in midtown manhattan is pricey!) so I guess in that sense I always planned that out!
    Looks like a delicious day of eats and I LOVE that dress!

15. I tend to eat very similar breakfasts' and lunches each day just because it's so easy.. but since I live in NYC my nights vary– somtimes I eat out or sometimes I eat at home after the gym. It all depends :) Your eats always look delicious!

16. Kale, almond milk, banana, and pear definitely sounds like an awesome smoothie combination – I might just make that myself tomorrow! I try to plan my meals but I'm pretty flexible too :)

17. Janetha says:

I love Adora discs! And you, of course!

Back at you lady!

18. Lisa says:

I tend to plan my meals the day before, because otherwise I don't eat enough, I have a hard time with knowing if I'm hungry or not, I think this is in part to ED past and IBS. Your eats all look delicious, all things I love! If it works for you then perfect! I have a coffee obsession, I think starbucks might go bankrupt if I gave up my daily visits 😉

19. Kailey says:

My roommate has a running joke with me NOT to plan out my meals for the next day because I never stick with it. like ever. haha
    LOOOOOVE your outfit pretty girl – where did you get that skirt!?
    ps. – love those adora disks!

20. I generally plan out my meals but I'm willing to adjust as needed.  I don't usually plan out my snacks but since i've been doing the FitMixer bootcamp, I've been planning everything out but leaving myself a few options where necessary.

21. I tend to have the basics at my apt but eat my big meals what I feel like each day

22. I love summer workplace dresses and yours is adorable!

Comments are closed.