A Perfect Mix

by Lauren on May 20, 2012

After a long but wonderful day yesterday, we decided to keep things a little more low key today and get things done around the house.

I always say the perfect weekends are a balance between fun, relaxation and productiveness. This weekend intertwined all three of these things.

Sunday's are the only day of the week that I allow myself to wake naturally.  As much as I love waking up early and having the entire morning, I think it's important to let yourself have at least one day when you let your body make the decision as far as how much rest it needs.

Usually on these days, it's 6:30 or 7:00 and today it fell more on the later end which I was just fine with.

I usually get out of bed first and let Toly sleep a little longer before I call him down for breakfast.

Oats for me today.  Whipped Banana Oats with berries, Greek yogurt, almond butter and a little granola on top.

We always eat breakfast together on Sunday mornings and just relax into the morning.  It really is one of my favorite times during my week.

After breakfast, we spent a few hours cleaning the house and then ran some errands.  The rest of the day was had doing yard work (well more for Toly) and I am happy to say I FINALLY have my garden ready.

All it needs are the plants which I hope to get this week.

So housework, yard work, grocery shopping…definitely productive.  We broke around 5:00 to enjoy the weather on a nice walk around the neighborhood.

When we got home, it was dinnertime and salmon was calling our names.

Romaine, Cabbage, Cucumber, Feta, Grilled Asparagus, Peaches and Grilled Salmon

The salad was a beauty.  I absolutely love grilled peaches and salmon together and often make this salad during the summer.

It was such a great weekend and I hope it was for you as well.

This week *should* be short but I leave on Friday for Boston and I still have quite a bit to do.  For now though, I'm just going to enjoy the rest of my down time and be ready to get a jump on things tomorrow.

Goodnight!

Do you have a garden?  What should I plant this year?

Valerie May 20, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I have a little herb garden on my patio with mint, basil and cilantro. You inspired me to finally love my cereal and oats on the morning! Do you ever have pancakes? Any good recipes for that? Love your blog:)

Lauren May 20, 2012 at 7:59 pm

We usually have eggs or pancakes on the weekend but I was totally craving oats again today.
Here is one of my favorite recipes for pancakes! http://www.saywhatyouneedtosayblog.com/2012/02/22/sprouted-spelt-pumpkin-protein-pancakes-a-recipe-and-a-giveaway/

lynn @ the actor's diet May 20, 2012 at 7:54 pm

i have a black thumb so i'd love to see you plant something easy to grow!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn May 20, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Hahahaha I love you and the fact that early morning is considered "on the later side". Girl, if only you knew my life. Hope to see you soon!!

Leslie May 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm

We’ve never NOT had a vegetable garden since we’ve owned our home. We grow tomatoes(3 different types), bell peppers( 3 different types), jalapeƱo peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, & strawberries

pluvk May 20, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Grilled peaches in a salad… I have to try that! It sounds delicious. I love summer and all the available fruits!
I'm planning a garden, too. I have a total black thumb, so we'll see how it goes! I'm planning on lots of herbs (basil, dill, rosemary, mint, etc.) and veggies/fruits (tomatoes, eggplant, kale, zucchini, etc.) Good luck on yours!

Meg May 21, 2012 at 1:21 am

We began planting our garden today :) Every year I look forward to my herbs! If you can find lemon verbena try it! I love roasting it with my potatoes :)

Sam @ Fit for My Fork May 21, 2012 at 5:52 am

I kill everything I plant but I loved having lettuce out in the yard to pick if I hadn't bought any and wanted a salad. I did overpick it once though, and then it didn't grow back. :( See what I mean about killing everything I try to grow? lol

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 21, 2012 at 8:18 am

I really, really want to have a garden when we buy a house (getting there…). The house we are hoping to get (waiting to hear back from the inspection!) has a VERY shaded backyard though, so I'm not sure how it would do!

Christina May 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

Yes! I planted my first garden this year with lettuce, yellow squash, onions and green peppers. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but having fun experimenting. Plus, it's nice to grow my own  organic produce – no pesticides or harmful chemicals. I'm hoping to post about it on my blog: http://www.thecontemplativecarnivore.com!

Cait's Plate May 21, 2012 at 10:50 am

Ah!  So jealous of your garden!  I'm dying for one myself!  We used to grow peppers, lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes in our one when I was growing up!

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com May 21, 2012 at 11:42 am

it sounds like you had an amazing weekend! I am so happy you got to enjoy the weather and spend some quality time with the one you love :-) Perfect weekend if you ask me!

Gillian May 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

That salmon salad looks gorgeous!  And I have garden envy – we're in a rented apartment so I never commit to really getting one going, but I can't wait to!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions May 21, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Oooh good luck with the garden! My dad and brother always plant one every year, and there's nothing better than vegetable picked right before dinner. They can be a hassle sometimes, but it's totally worth it.

Kailey May 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm

couldn't agree more with you – I think it is important to give our bodies at least one day of rest after everything we put them through ;) Plus, having breakfast with the hubby seems like a nice tradition.

Janetha May 21, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Oh my gosh! I can't wait to see the things you grow!