Summer 2012: My Best One Yet

by Lauren on June 11, 2012

Well after such an incredible weekend, I thought I would be feeling a little down today knowing that it was Monday and the festivities had come to an end.

But to my surprise, this Monday turned out to give me even more reasons to celebrate life!

I am seriously having the most amazing summer guys!  I don’t even know what I did to deserve all of these fantastic opportunities but I am soaking up every blessed moment.  There are so many wonderful friends I get to see, places I get to experience, events I get to indulge in and tons of fun things planned right up until fall.

I never want this summer to end!!

Okay, rant over…time for some food.

After a little indulgence this weekend and a few too many drinks, my body was craving clean food today.  I contemplated a yogurt bowl but actually started thinking about cereal and almond milk and then got it stuck in my head.  I think my stomach was still craving the carbs to soak up some of the alcohol from the weekend. :)

• Natures Path Multigrain Flakes
  • Strawberries/Blackberries/Banana
  • Almond Milk
  • Almond Butter drizzle
  • Chia
  • and a little pinch of raw oats (I love this texture in cereal)
The grapefruit wasn’t the best but still refreshing.
Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t hammered all weekend, but I definitely enjoyed myself with one or two more adult beverages than I normally would on a given weekend.  Sorry I’m not sorry.

Lunch

I had a lunch meeting today but my client went to the bathroom when the food came out so I was able to snap a picture without being spotted.

I ordered a Greek salad with grilled chicken and it was very tasty.  Sometimes, you’re not sure what you’ll get with salads but this one was filled with fresh vegetables and vibrant color.  I loved every bite.

Snack

Later in the afternoon, I snacked on what has now become my new favorite bar.

I haven’t been able to find the new Luna Fiber bars yet but I spotted them in NY this weekend and grabbed a box of the Peanut Butter Strawberry.  It’s good…really good!

In my effort to pump myself with nutrients today, I opted for one of the most nutritious and delicious foods (in my mind at least) for dinner.

I always feel incredible when I eat salmon from the inside out.

I’ve been buying organic salmon for the past few months but I’ve also been completely misinterpreting it in my recent posts.  Some of you noticed I’ve been calling this “Wild” Organic Salmon when in fact organic salmon can not be wild.  Since it’s organic, it is raised in a controlled environment but unlike farm raised, the environment is sustained and free of hormones, chemicals, etc.

The organic salmon is by far the best we’ve bought.  It’s a little fattier than most salmon but it only makes it more delicious.

Along with this grilled fish, I made a strawberry peach wheat berry salad with fresh basil and goat cheese.

The salad was really simple….

• 1/2 c wheat berries (cooked)
  • small peach (diced)
  • 4 strawberries (sliced)
  • 2 T orange juice
  • 1 tsp dijon
  • 2 tsp honey
  • fresh basil
  • fresh mint
  • salt and pepper
I just whisked  the orange juice, dijon, honey, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and then added it to the wheat berries and fruit.  Lastly, I topped it with goat cheese and served it all over a bed of spinach.
What a delicious summer meal.
As good as this summer is, I’m starting to feel like I’m running out of hours in my day to get everything accomplished.  I’m thinking I need to do a major re-priortizing pretty soon to make sure I am staying focused on the important things. The last thing I would want to do is let myself get too overwhelmed and have to miss out on something exciting.
Hoping you all had a wonderful day!
What is one thing you have planned this summer that you are looking forward to?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 11, 2012 at 8:08 pm

In 3 weeks I’m going to Boston and NYC for a week, ending with one of my closest friend’s weddings. I’ve been looking forward to this trip for a few weeks and I just can’t wait. It will probably be the highlight of my summer.

Lauren June 11, 2012 at 9:03 pm

That sounds wonderful! Two of my favorite cities. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 11, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I hear you about this summer – I live for the summer. They’re the best!

Jaime June 11, 2012 at 8:39 pm

“Organic” salmon is farmed just like conventional farmed salmon is. There are no true standards for so-called “organic” seafood. They are still being fed grain which, needless to say, is not their natural diet and because they’re in a controlled area where sea lice among other diseases are much more profound toxic pesticides are used to reduce them. All farmed fish is unhealthy for both the environment and for our bodies. I’d suggest you read this: http://www.puresalmon.org/pdfs/organics_backgrounder.pdf

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition June 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I’m hoping I get tickets to eh HLS!!! I’m looking forward to that : )

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 11, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I saw those Luna fiber bars at the store today, but wasn’t sure how they would taste. I’ll have to pick them up next time.

Katy June 11, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I am a teacher so I am looking forward to sitting by the pool and relaxing as much as possible!

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family June 11, 2012 at 9:27 pm

That salmon looks amazing. I could eat salmon multiple times a week! And greek salads are my favorite. Pretty much I wish I ate what you did today :)

Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony June 11, 2012 at 10:13 pm

That wheat berry salad looks so light and fresh! I just purchased a bag, and I was unsure of what I wanted to do with them, but this recipe looks delicious!
I’m a teacher, so I’m looking forward to having the summer off. I’m studying through NASM to get my CPT, so I’m excited for that too!

B @ Crags and Veggies June 12, 2012 at 12:38 am

Beautiful texture and color in your breakfast! I love blackberries, well okay, berries of all kinds. Berries are definitely one of my favorite things about summer! I’m really looking forward to my family vacation and spending time with family! It’s my time when I can really relax during the summer.

Lauren June 12, 2012 at 6:40 am

I know, berries are amazing right now! Blackberries are my favorite!

Corinne June 12, 2012 at 6:42 am

So fantastic you are loving life, sunshine and summer just makes life that much happier! I live in Australia so its currently winter here and its dreary and cold (yes, it gets cold. And Australian winter pretty much means rain for 3 months straight, its misery). BUT I get to go home to Boston in 2 and a half weeks and see my family and boyfriend who I havent seen in 4 months!! I also havent been home to Boston in almost a year so I couldnt be happier for a July at home, its the best month of summer right?! Glad you had a great time at Dave!

Lauren June 12, 2012 at 6:48 am

Aw, that’s so awesome you get to go home to Boston soon. I bet that has to be a great feeling. :)

Meg June 12, 2012 at 8:03 am

Oh goodness girl, this post makes me smile so big for you!!!! I am so happy to know that this summer is the best one yet for you

Erica June 12, 2012 at 8:34 am

Glad your week is off to such a nice start. That dinner looks so fresh and perfect. Awesome :) . I love how you snuck in the lunch picture.

Catalina @ Cake with Love June 12, 2012 at 9:35 am

I am glad that you summer sounds and looks that good, I hope it will stay the same or get even better! :) Your food looks delicious by the way!

Danielle @ clean food creative fitness June 12, 2012 at 11:16 am

Your meals look so healthy and delicious, especially that salad recipe! I’m going to have to try it out! I’m dying to try the new Luna fiber bars too. Haven’t found them yet!

Cait's Plate June 12, 2012 at 11:29 am

Yay! Glad you’re having such a great summer! There’s nothing better than that :)

Lisa June 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Your summer sounds like its going fantastic so far! How exciting. Its such a great feeling when things in life are going so well. I can’t wait until the heat starts getting here, then it will really feel like summer time.

Amber June 12, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Nothing quite like a great summer, can’t wait for the sun to start shining here. So far – not so much :( .

That dinner looks amazing – major salmon craving over here!

Taylor @ liftingrevolution June 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm

The salmon looks delish! It’s one of those foods for us that is a hit or miss. I either love it when it’s served or I hate it. I wish I loved it all the time then I wouldn’t be so nervous to cook it up myself.

Kelly@BalancedDaily June 13, 2012 at 11:42 am

One thing I’ve planed for the summer that I’m looking forward to is a camping trip near a “lazy river” toward central Florida. I’ve had a few friends who have visited the site and say that there’s crystal clear water, with a slow current perfect for relaxing and just floating along. A group of us rented a cabin nearby for a few nights and we are all looking forward to having some fun in the sun and enjoying everything that goes along with sleeping outdoors- late night campfire, playing some music, laughing, and of course s’mores!

Sam @ Fit for My Fork June 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Dinner looks especially awesome! What are wheat berries? I’ve never heard of them before!

Lauren June 13, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Wheat berries are a grain made up of bran, germ, and endosperm. They’re slightly nuttier and crunchier than rice or quinoa and go really nicely in salads.