My Big Fat Greek Lunch

by Lauren on June 26, 2012

Well hello everyone!

This week is moving along nicely.  Good weather, good pace of work and good things to look forward to are keeping my spirits high.  I have a few exciting things to announce this week as well so please stayed tuned for a few updates.

I’ve been craving this simple but oh so satisfying breakfast for days now.  Plain Chobani, Berries, Banana, Blend Granola, and Almond Butter.

I am loving this Blend Granola.  It’s a much looser granola and more like crunchy oats but it’s mixed with chia, almonds, dried cherries and hints of cinnamon.  It reminds me more of a muesli so it’s perfect in overnight oats and yogurt bowls.

I worked in the office for most of the day and when that happens I start to get antsy around lunch.  I need to get out and especially on a day like today.  It was beautiful!  The boys and I decided to sneak out and enjoy our lunch break at a new Greek restaurant that recently opened near the office.

Lunch

Hellenic Kouzina is an authentic Greek cafe that opened a few months ago in Mechanicsburg. Toly has been here a few times and told me I would love it.  It’s real, fresh, healthy Greek food prepared to order.  The atmosphere was awesome too!  I loved the outdoor seating as it made it feel like we were in a traditional Greek cafe…statues, fountains and all.

The boys sipped on their root beers as we waited for our meals to come out.

I ordered a round of hummus and pita for the table as we waited.

After a short wait, my Greek Salad came out looking like perfection.

I loved everything about this!  The chicken was perfectly seasoned, the portion was just right, and it had just the right amount of ingredients.

I can’t wait to go back and try so much more off of this fantastic menu.  The Spankopita, Gyros and Tzatziki is calling my name!

After lunch, I had an afternoon meeting over coffee with a new contact.  It was actually a great way to end the day, especially since iced coffee was involved.

A few people have asked about the garden and I realize I haven’t done an update on the progression of my little plant family.  Well, here she is…..

For the most part, it’s doing wonderfully.  A few of the cucumber plants didn’t make it, but everything else looks vibrant and healthy.

The herbs are in full bloom….

And the start of the tomato crop is making its appearance.

I’m so proud!

I tweeted last night that I was thinking grilled pizza would be dominating our dinner menu tonight and I stuck to that proclamation.

This pizza is so so so good!

I use whole wheat Naan and spread a generous amount of tomato sauce on top.  Then I top it with grilled eggplant slices and fresh basil.  That’s it!  It sounds so simple (and really is) but tastes outstanding!

I fully believe it’s the way it is prepared.  Grilling your pizza will change your life.

On the side, I made a refreshing Watermelon Mint Feta salad using fresh mint from the garden.

All together now.

This dinner made me so happy.

Well, I still have some work to get done before bed so I better get on that.

Before I go, a few things to note:

• I’m blogging for Stage of Life and my post on my journey with Crohn’s and how I found balance and recovery is up. If you want to hear more about my experience with this, check it out here.
  • Looking for a healthy, easy dish to bring to your next picnic.  Check out my recipe for Quinoa Caprese Salad here.

• My latest granola recipe…Whole Grain Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Cookies just went up on the NAG blog.  These are so yummy and are secretly “semi-homemade” that will fool any cookie lover.
Enjoy friends!

Cait's Plate June 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm

As a Greek girl, that’s my kinda lunch!! Looks delicious :)

And I’m going to check out that cookie recipe now! Whole grain, peanut butter, chocolate AND granola!? That’s too good to be true.

Lauren June 26, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Haha, don’t be fooled, I took the easy way out but I’m proud of it. :) They were awesome!

Emily M. June 26, 2012 at 8:48 pm

mm…i LOVE making homemade pizza on naan bread! it’s the best.

Anna @ Blissfully Banana June 26, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Holy WOW! That watermelon mint feta salad looks super delicious! Your garden is doing super well too! I’m jealous, mine died a long time ago! :)

Lauren June 26, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I really shouldn’t take credit because it’s Toly that does all of the work. If he didn’t water every day, mine would be dead too!

Erica June 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Seriously- that Greek salad…yum! I’ve been craving it since you put it up on instagram ;) . Your garden looks great! So exciting. And the pizza was a fantastic idea. Glad things are going so well

Angela @ Sleep and Repeat June 26, 2012 at 9:32 pm

That grilled pizza looks amazing! mmmm. Your garden is looking awesome too! I wish i could garden too but I live in a 29th floor apartment sadly!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 26, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I am super jealous of all your eats today! I’m not one to necessarily fawn over a salad, but that Greek salad looks amazing!

Sana June 27, 2012 at 12:01 am

Yum! I love greek food and I love naan!

B @ Crags and Veggies June 27, 2012 at 9:29 am

love love love greek food! Your garden looks great! I’m so jealous of the tomatoes. My large tomato plant got a fungus but I refuse to use seven dust so it died :( I still have a tiny one that gives off little yellow cherry tomatoes, but I really miss the big one. Oh well, the fun of gardening organic!

Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony June 27, 2012 at 11:26 am

Pita and hummus is one of my favorite snacks! Just pinned the Quinoa salad too! What a delicious combo of foods and flavors. I can’t wait to try it. :)

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com June 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm

um, may we please go to that greek restaurant stat? or you can come lay by my pool and we will make some fabulous food at home! either way it sounds like a plan ;-)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I agree – grilled pizza is like a whole different food!

Lisa June 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I absolutely looove greek food, their chicken always tastes so awesome! I’ve never had grilled pizza, but everyone is always saying how great tasting it is. Looks like I’ll have to try that out this summer. Your dinner looks insanely delicious, I will have to recreate.

Katy June 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I have never made naan bread pizzas. Good call!

L July 2, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Reading about your story is inspiring, you are so strong! But I think when you state “I became emancipated, malnourished and completely depressed.” you meant emaciated not emancipated, unless you did indeed order legal independence from your parents?

Lauren July 2, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Oh my, yes I did mean emaciated. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll have to do better on watching my auto correct next time. :)