WIAW {Snack Attack}

by Lauren on June 27, 2012

Good Evening Friends,

The last Wednesday in the month which means I probably owe you guys a WIAW.  (What I Ate Wednesday for those of you that don’t know blog code)

Apparently June is Sensible Snacking Month (I am so behind on these themes) so today, I want to focus the discussion around snacking.

Let’s talk about snacks for a second.

Do you snack?  I have never really considered myself a big snacker.  Growing up, I was always use to eating three solid meals a day and I seem to have stuck to that routine into my adulthood.  I know many people who can graze all day without ever really eating a big meal and not that I see anything wrong with that, but it’s just not for me.

I find that when I bypass a meal and opt for smaller portions, I never seem to be satisfied.  Much like how I could never see myself just drinking a smoothie for breakfast.  I realize in theory it contains the same nutrient density and calorie base as most suitable breakfasts, but a meal without chewing, swallowing and digesting is not really a meal to me.

So the pint being, I don’t usually snack in place of meals. I do, however, listen to my body and fuel it when it’s hungry or when it needs to be fueled so if I am hungry I will always eat something.  I always have something at night after dinner…always!  I know I’ve mentioned this before, but I work out incredibly early and I choose not to eat before I run first thing in the AM.  I would rather fuel the night before and have my body tap into those reserves for the morning rather than fill my belly at 4am.  It works for me and it always has so why change it now?

Okay so back to WIAW…..

Breakfast- 6:30am (after workout)

• Natures Path Flax Flakes
  • Barbaras Shredded Spoonfuls (I like to call them Chex)
  • Small Banana
  • Strawberries
  • Chia
  • Sunbutter
  • Almonds
  • Almond Milk
I usually eat cereal with 1/2 of a grapefruit.  I guess I could save the grapefruit for later but my mornings don’t really allow me time to sit down and snack.  I’m usually driving to and from, in meetings, or teaching.  During the workday, I eat when time allows.

Lunch – 1:00pm

I usually don’t eat lunch this late but today I had a meeting that ran over so by the time I could make it home, it was past my normal lunch hour.  I quickly put together a familiar favorite.

• Whole Wheat Wrap with Turkey, Egg White, Avocado, Spinach and Hummus
  • Watermelon
  • Cucumber Slices
This lunch never fails me.  It tastes amazing and is so satisfying.  It’s also easy to eat in a hurry.
I spent the rest of the day back in the office glued to my computer and when that happens, I usually get hungry. Something about sitting in front of a computer screen for hours works up my appetite.  I was also planning on working out with my trainer after I got off, so I knew I needed something to get me through a leg workout.

Snack – 3:30pm

I love these!  I honestly don’t think I like any bar more than I like these.

Dinner- 6:30pm

We usually eat dinner around this time.  One, we are both pretty hungry by then and two, I like to have my evenings open by 7:30pm to do work so that I can be in bed at a reasonable hour.  If dinner were later, I would probably just eat and then go right to bed.  Wow, how old am I?

Look at that, another salad!  Okay, before you roll your eyes, let me explain.  Salads are my thing.  I’m not the type of girl that puts lettuce and a few cucumber slices in a bowl and calls it a meal.  No, no, my salads are the real deal.  Let’s break this one down…

• Grilled Veggies (Zucchini, Eggplant, Yellow Squash, Bell Peppers)
  • Grilled Pineapple
  • Feta
  • Hummus
  • Balsamic/Dijon/Lemon Juice
  • Fresh Herbs (Rosemary, Basil and Oregano)
  • Feta Cheese
The pineapple is what did it for me in this.  The savory grilled vegetables are good, don’t get me wrong, but pairing them with sweet grilled pineapple is a flavor explosion.  And if you think hummus and feta cheese thrown in that mix is weird, think again.  It works, trust me!
It’s now almost 8:00pm which means I’ll probably eat something again soon.  I usually rotate between 3 nightly snacks, cottage cheese with blueberries and walnuts, applesauce with blackberries and granola, greek yogurt with vita top.  Not sure what it will be tonight but either way, I can’t go wrong.
So there is a typical day of meals plus snacks.  I guess I would consider myself a 3 meal a day + 2 snacks eater.  Again, I only do what works for me, my body, my schedule and my appetite.  I don’t ever feel that there is one right or wrong way to eat, so long as you feel good and it makes you happy.  Simple as that.
Do you eat 3 large meals a day or many smaller meals throughout the day?

Cait's Plate June 27, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Absolutely cannot beat grilled pineapple. It’s SO good.

I’m definitely more of a 3 large meals a day person. Though I guess I’m like 3 meals and 2 snacks (afternoon and dessert) :) I used to be much more of a 5 small meals a day person and then somewhere along the way it just changed. So strange how that happens!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 27, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I’m definitely a snacker – not a graze all day but an eat 3 small meals and 2-3 small snacks a day person. It works for me. If I eat 3 larger meals, I end up feeling too full and then end up feeling sick. It’s interesting how we’re all different in that regard.

Valerie June 27, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I would love to know how you do your wraps. Mine are never pretty. I eat 6 small meals a day:)

Lauren June 28, 2012 at 7:38 am

Haha funny story but I use to work in a coffee shop that specialized in wraps. I had to learn how to be an expert wrapper for that job. :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 28, 2012 at 6:36 am

I always eat my three meals a day, but I throw in a couple of snacks too.

That wrap looks great!

I need to pick up those Luna bars! I’ve seen them at the grocery store & thought about buying them… I think I even have a coupon!

Brittany June 28, 2012 at 6:46 am

I eat a meal (a protein, complex or fibrous carb, and healthy fat) every 2 1/2 hours which equals about 5 a day. I have serious blood sugar issues though so if I skip one I’m in pannick attack mode and if I have one too large I feel exhausted after. Like you said, it’s what works for my body and it took a lot of trial and error to figure out!

Question: how do you keep your avocado fresh?!?

Lizzie June 28, 2012 at 7:24 am

Hey girl, love your blog. I found it through Cj, who I know from a while ago.

Do you have after dinner snacks, if so what are your favorites!?

Lauren June 28, 2012 at 7:36 am

Hey Lizzie! I always have an after dinner snack and I actually referenced this in the post. It’s one of the last paragraphs and I give my top three snacks that I eat after dinner almost every night. I usually rotate between cottage cheese with walnuts, greek yogurt, or fruit or some kind. Hope that helps!

B @ Crags and Veggies June 28, 2012 at 8:48 am

I eat lots of small meals, or at least try to. I don’t eat very much, so I get more calories if I am to eat a lot of small meals throughout the day. However, there are those days when it gets to be 4pm sometimes and I realize I haven’t eaten. I guess the nature of the job. It’s so great you can run home though to eat- wish I could do that so badly. If I make a wrap and take it with me to work, I feel like they get soggy.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 28, 2012 at 9:39 am

Oh my gosh, that salad looks like perfection!

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com June 28, 2012 at 10:10 am

Luna Fiber is a pretty darn awesome bar…and vita tops, I order them online! haha the flavors are so good and I always so the 6 tops for free! banana chocolate chip is seriously yummy! and so is the pumpkin!!!

Lauren June 28, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Keep a look out for Vita Top pizzas! They are brand new and I saw them launched at the Fancy Food Show. :)

Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony June 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I’m a three meals a day girl, with usually a couple of snacks – one mid afternoon and one after dinner. I find that now that I’m off for summer vacation and my day starts later, I’m not snacking as much at all!

Lisa June 28, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Your salads are definitely my type of salads as well, I can’t do the only lettuce, tomato, and cucumbers, I need more substance for sure! I definitely love my snacks so I typically eat 3 meals with 2 snacks thrown in there. I guess like yours, but my snacks are usually a bit bigger. I’ve never tried those luna bars before, might be on the lookout for them now!

emily (a nutritionist eats) June 28, 2012 at 5:35 pm

It depends on the day for me, sometimes I’m a snacker, but if I’m eating larger meals I usually don’t need a snack. All just depends. :) Your salad looks so good, I love grilled veggies on salads!

Sara @ sarasmiles June 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I’m the exact same way. I wake up at 4:45 AM to work out, and even when I ate an apple right before, I noticed that I feel better on an empty stomach this early. I tend to have a before-bed snack too for this reason; plus I hate going to bed hungry. If I eat at 6-6:30, you can bet I am hungry again at 9. Turkey and avocado are one of my favorite combinations…looks delicious!

Alek Prus June 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Im a snacked and totally agree on the salads ! I have everything on mine!