Walk On

by Lauren on July 11, 2012

Hello everyone!

It’s the middle of the week already and I’m just now realizing that.  I just had one of those days where I have been moving from one thing to the next without stopping to think.  So it’s now 8:00pm and this is the first I’ve sat down all day.

Business aside, I’m busting through a very productive work week on all accounts.  I keep forgetting that I’m going to New Orleans in a few weeks so I’m trying to get everything in order before my trip.  When I get back, my busy season picks up into full swing. (No this isn’t even my busy season yet)

If I’m not having a yogurt bowl, I’m having a cereal bowl.  Nothing else seems appealing on the hot mornings than cold yogurt or cold cereal.  Not sure when hot oats will strike my fancy again but I don’t see it happening any time soon.

Inside the bowl was Barbara’s Shredded Spoonfuls, Natures Path Flax Flakes, Strawberries, Banana, Sunbutter, and a few tablespoons of Quinoa Granola.

And…..a little grapefruit to finish it off.

I had a lunch appointment this afternoon in the city at one of my favorite Harrisburg restaurants, Bricco.  I’ve been to Bricco dozens of times for dinner but only a handful of occurrences for lunch.  The lunch menu is definitely impressive.  My meal consisted of a baby arugula salad with pickled strawberries, beets, red onions, smoked feta, and grilled chicken.  Sorry no picture but you can take my word for it, it was delightful.

I made my way back to the office later in the afternoon and was greeted with a few major crises that took up the rest of the afternoon.  Fortunately, I didn’t end up staying too late but when I got home, I was feeling stressed and anxious so I decided to take a walk.  I had a zillion things on my mind and just needed to clear the air with myself.

Later on, I put together dinner.

I’ve made this salad quite a few times now so I think it’s time to write out the recipe.

Quinoa, Brussels Sprouts, Salmon, Black Beans and Feta

Ingredients
  • ½ cup sliced brussels sprouts
  • ¼ cup dry quinoa
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  • 1 can pink atlantic wild salmon
  • 2 tablespoons black beans
  • ½ cup purple cabbage
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons feta cheese
  • Optional: Balsamic and Hummus
Instructions
  1. Cook quinoa.
  2. While quinoa is cooking, heat oil in a large non stick skillet. Place sprouts in the skillet and saute for 10-12 minutes until browned.
  3. Add the cabbage, beans, and salmon and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes and add the cooked quinoa and feta cheese.
  4. Cook for an additional 2 minutes (or until cheese is slightly melted). Serve over baby spinach.
  5. Optional: Drizzle balsamic over salad and top with hummus.

This salad is so good and so full of amazing nutrients.  Fiber, protein, omega 3′s, vitamin c.  I love it!

Lastly, I finally found a use for those overripe bananas (which were at this point blacker than night). You’ll have to wait until tomorrow though to see!

Goodnight friends!

PS- One more day to enter my Almondina giveaway!

What is the one thing you do to de-stress after a long and stressful day?

Anne July 11, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Treating myself to fro yo after a long day always seems to do the trick :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 11, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Usually just vegging for a little with my favorite pug helps me to de-stress!

Sarah July 11, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I use walks as a time to zone out and de-stress as well. Could have used one today myself, after my super-busy day at work, but I had a hair appointment right after work. As it turned out, though, chilling in the chair at the salon and then having someone shampoo my hair turned out to be a pretty good way to de-stress. And I not only looked better when I left, but I felt better too! :-)

jessie July 12, 2012 at 12:14 am

Glad you were able to get out and talk a walk to de-stress yourself girl… sometimes they are just completely needed :)

To de-stress my, i’ll either go for a long walk or just lay down in the complete dark and just close my eyes for 15 minutes or so.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 12, 2012 at 12:43 am

Your breakfast bowl looks beautiful! Not just the breakfast, but the bowl itself! ;)

And I like to put my feet up, read some blogs, breathe, do some yoga, and maybe have a drink with my roommate.

Alexia @ NamasteYoga July 12, 2012 at 4:20 am

after a stressful day, there is nothing better than a glass of deep red wine! that always calm me down! I also love to just sit still and meditate to nice music….
your dinner salad is the bomb!!

Erica July 12, 2012 at 7:32 am

I hear you! My days have felt very similar this week. Ahhhh. yayy for it being Thursday :) pickled strawberries? What an awesome salad topper. To destress- I definitely workout, take a walk with Kay or get coffee with a friend

Cait's Plate July 12, 2012 at 8:08 am

That salad looks absolutely amazing! I love that it’s so delicious looking and so packed with health!

glidingcalm July 12, 2012 at 10:39 am

Hi MAMA! Sorry I have been MIA! Busy life, and have kind of unplugged a bit. ANYWHO! I missed seeing all of your delicious eats! I have decided that someday you will make me a breakfast bowl…someday when our paths cross! THEY ALWAYS LOOK PHENOM!

also, do you have Instagram? I just got a smart phone and just downloaded!! :D

xoxo,
gc

Lauren July 12, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Hey there pretty lady! Glad to heat you’ve been living life unplugged lately. Definitely good for the soul. :)

I do Instagram! lpodolsky410 :)

Kelly July 12, 2012 at 11:23 am

As usual, you food looks delicious! I know you dont have grilled veggies in your dinner from this post, but i was wondering what your process is in preparing the veggies before to grill them? Do you use olive oil or cooking spray and spices or something after theyre chopped? Thanks girl!

Lauren July 12, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I usually just spray them with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Nothing fancy. The grilled flavor is so bold on it’s own that the veggies really don’t need much.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life July 12, 2012 at 11:46 am

Girl, your salads always look SO freakin good! :)

Lisa July 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I have super black bananas right now on my counter and that reminds me I should probably be baking with them today, before they turn completely black. Glad you got out and took a walk so you could de-stress, I always find that helpful to clear my mind.

Sara @ sarasmiles July 12, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I totally know that feeling after a stressful day at work. Walking really does help clear your mind from it all. In fact, working in the industry that I do, I have so many days like that, I have to workout in the morning to prepare myself mentally! Some days even take a yoga or barre class in the evenings on top of that…your salad concoction looks delicious by the way!

Lauren July 12, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I know exactly what you mean. If I didn’t workout in the mornings I would be a lost soul all day.