Rise and Ride

by Lauren on July 26, 2012

Do you know what is so fantastic about being honest to you all?  You give me so much support and love, always!  All day, your comments made my smile.  Needless to say, my bad mood was lifted today thanks so much to all of your lovely wishes.

I went to bed last night and vowed that I would wake up with a better attitude going into the day today.  Thankfully, I had my early morning RPM class to look forward to get things started off on the right foot.  That class ALWAYS puts me in a good mood and today, I let it all out on the bike.  Felt amazing!

Guess what I did last night?

It has been AGES since I’ve made protein overnight oats.  It was about time.

Protein Overnight Oats

• 1/4 cup dry oats
  • 1/4 cup plain Chobani
  • 1/2 overripe mashed banana
  • 1/2 scoop protein powder (I used Sun Warrior Vanilla)
  • 1 tsp chia
  • 2 tablespoons almond milk

I mixed this all up last night and this morning added the berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries) and a piece of TJ’s berry oat muffin.  Also nestled in there was a sun butter mound.

I had to run to a doctor’s appointment this morning so I didn’t get into the office until later.  Since I’m leaving for New Orleans for a work conference next week, I blocked out today and tomorrow to devote to catching up on reports and office things before I leave.  The last thing I want is to feel stressed and behind at the beginning of a work trip.

I did sneak home for a quick lunch around 12:30.

Not really sure where I was going with this salad but I basically emptied out my vegetable drawer and put it on top of lettuce.
  • Romaine and Spinach
  • Cabbage
  • Cucumber
  • Roasted Broccoli
  • Roasted Squash
  • Dried Cherries
  • Sunflower Seeds
  • Balsamic and Hummus

Yum!  These “garbage” salads always turn out in my favor.

For the first time in weeks, we didn’t fire up the grill this evening.  There have been severe thunderstorm threats all around us for most of the day and by the time dinner time rolled around, so did the dark clouds.

Plan B turned out to be a good one though!

Black Bean, Spinach, Goat Cheese and Sweet Potato Quesadillas

• 2 whole wheat tortillas (taco or fajita sized)
  • 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (cooked)
  • 1/4 cup black beans
  • 1 cup slightly steamed spinach
  • 1 ounce goat cheese

Spread the sweet potato on one tortilla and top with black beans.  Add the spinach and top with goat cheese.  Place other tortilla on top of the sweet potato mixture.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

I always forget how easy and delicious these are!

Well, tomorrow is Friday and I have a very exciting weekend ahead.  Just gotta push through an 8 hour workday and then it’s off to play work in NOLA for a week!

Have you ever been to New Orleans? What is one thing I can’t leave without trying or seeing?

Fun Reads:

Check out my top 5 Summer Smoothie Recipes

The Olympics are tomorrow! Will you be watching? Here are some fun facts about the Opening Ceremony.

14 thoughts on “Rise and Ride”

1. Cait's Plate says:

So glad you’re feeling better! :) I’ve never been to New Orleans but it’s on my Life List of things to do! I want to go to Cafe Du Monde and eat beignets!

1. Lauren says:

Oh that is TOP on my list!

2. Traci says:

I second Cafe Du Monde! The French press coffee is amazing and so are the beignets, of course! Definitely check out Jackson Square, cute area with St Peter’s Cathedral and Pirate’s Alley, some local jazz bands sometimes play there, too. Definitely a lively area. I would recommend Mulates for food/live music one night, too. Have fun!

3. I’ve never been to New Orleans but I’d definitely love to go one day!
    Glad you’re feeling better. :)

4. Molly says:

I love NOLA! I recommend trying BBQ Oysters, Mint Juleps, & going on a plantation tour of the Laura Plantation! Also, the piano bar (i think howl at the moon) on Bourbon Street is a lot of fun! Enjoy your work trip…make sure to schedule some non-work fun time!

5. Erica says:

Oh my goodness! That dilla looks out of this world! Maybe even better than your grilled creations…ok maybe equally as delicious looking :) Glad you had a better day! Hope the trip goes well. I’ve never been

6. Jessie says:

Ah, I saw your post on pennlive before seeing your post on here :) Yes, the Olympics wil be watched in this house.. well if we get it here in Kuwait. Fingers crossed!!

7. happy to hear you had a better day!!! I love garbage salads too :-) they usually occur tuesdays; the day before we pick up our new CSA box, and they almost always turn out to be some of my favorites :-)
    have a great weekend hunni!

8. So happy you had a better day!!! I can’t wait for the weekend either but it sounds like yours will be much more exciting than mine 😉 Have a fabulous trip!

9. Rachel says:

Mmm your dinner sounds good! I haven’t had quesadillas in forever because I don’t really like cheese.. but this sounds like an awesome replacement!

10. Your salads always look so good. I really need to step up my salad-making game! :-)

I’ve never been to New Orleans, but it seems like such a fun city! Can’t wait to hear what you think!

11. Lisa says:

I need that quesadilla in my life. Sounds delicious!
    I’m glad to hear your day was much better today!
    Have an amazing trip!xo

12. Susan says:

Emeril’s restaurant NOLA and Pere Antoine Restaurant are both pretty fantastic. Jackson Square is a must. Restaurant Stanley has pretty decadent, “treat yourself’ breakfasts. In terms of touristy stuff there’s always Cafe Du Monde and Pat O’ Briens (think ambience for both) and if you have time, I recommend this: http://www.tourneworleans.com/cemetery_set.html. You’re thinking cemetery? Really? Haha yes! It’s so different from anything you’ve probably seen/know andddd the VooDoo Queen’s grave is there. Pretty cool if you ask me haha.

1. Lauren says:

Thanks so much for the great suggestions Susan!

Comments are closed.