2 Quick Things

by Lauren on August 28, 2012

This is going to be one of those short and sweet posts. Just two quick things to share.

First….

Here is the clip from my news segment.  It’s only 2 minutes so if you want a good laugh and have 2 minutes to spare, check it out.  I only mess up once which is pretty good considering I really had zero time to prepare, practice or even know what I was going to talk about.

Second….

I know you will ask so I went ahead and put together the recipe for that quinoa salad.  It’s a good one too!

Quinoa Salad with Spinach, Mandarin Oranges, Dired Cranberries and Almonds
salad

Ingredients
  • ½ cup cooked quinoa
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • ¼ cup mandarin oranges, drained
  • 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
  • 2 tablespoons roasted almonds
Instructions
  1. Cook your quinoa as directed. Once it is done, take the pot off the heat and place the spinach in the pan. Cover and let sit for 1-2 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, mix quinoa and spinach with oranges and dried cranberries. Top with roasted almonds.

I didn’t add a thing to season this.  Really, nothing!

The only thing I did today to make this a more hearty lunch is add half a can of salmon.

I often forget that sometimes simplicity is best in certain dishes.  You don’t always need added salt or dressings and this is one of those times where it really proved true.

I was out for most of the afternoon and when I got home, we had some visitors over.  One was fixing my computer, the other was working on my treadmill.  Both are hopefully in good working condition now.  So my payment for their hard work….

Like I said, cooking is my love language.

Well I have a busy day tomorrow and one that starts pretty early so I better wrap things up.

See I told you it would be short n’ sweet.

Goodnight all!

Have you ever been on TV?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 28, 2012 at 9:17 pm

YUM! I absolutely love quinoa and how easy it is to take from simple to delicious and amazing!

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats August 28, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Lauren!! You did a fantastic job! So calm and collected, and you showed some really fun ideas. GREAT JOB! :)

Lauren August 28, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Aw, thanks girl! ;)

Erica August 29, 2012 at 1:08 am

ohmygosh! You did fantastic! You look greato too. I want to steal that parfait :)

Mandarin oranges are so good in salads. Fun mix.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 29, 2012 at 6:23 am

You did great!!!

I definitely want to make that quinoa salad; it looks like something Chris would like too!

Lauren August 29, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Thanks girl!

Sara August 29, 2012 at 6:55 am

Congrats, Lauren! Great job!

Steph @ The Event Crashers August 29, 2012 at 7:13 am

This recipe is added to my recipe book now too! I’m really happy you have so many recipes for quinoa – I love it and when you buy it’s always a massive amount, but I struggle to find different recipes so it’s not always the same old. Have you tried quinoa burgers? (They are my fave!)

Also came into work (I’m at WGAL too) and found you on a tape before I saw you were on the show! How cool! Glad Danielle could get you on!

Lauren August 29, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I had NO idea you and Danielle worked together! So cool! Please please please come to our next meet up. I would love to meet you!

Steph @ The Event Crashers August 30, 2012 at 3:36 am

I’m planning on it! I had a prior commitment that night (and I’m allergic to shellfish so it worked out better this way anyway because I would have been drooling over all those yummy looking eats and no way to eat them!)

Danielle @ clean food creative fitness August 29, 2012 at 7:24 am

Congrats on the TV appearance! You did great! I love that quinoa salad recipe! I never quite know what to do with my quinoa so this is a great idea for me!

Danielle August 29, 2012 at 10:06 am

You did a great job Lauren! I’m glad you came in. It was a perfect segment for the show! We will keep you in mind for sure on future stories!

Lauren August 29, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Thanks again Danielle! I loved it and would love to do it again sometime. Just let me know! :)

Rachel August 29, 2012 at 10:28 am

I will be making that salad lol I have all the things at home :) I was once filmed for a movie when I was on vacation in Lake Placid once.. never saw it though lol

Lauren August 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm

So cool! Did you know Lynn (from The Actor’s Diet) is in that movie?

Rachel August 29, 2012 at 9:50 pm

No way!! That’s so awesome! :D

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 29, 2012 at 11:51 am

One of my college roommates has worked at a blueberry farm for ages, and we like to joke that blueberries are her love language. You can pretty much count on getting baked goods, often with blueberries, if she comes to visit. I think everyone should have a friend whose love language involves food ;)

Lauren August 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Aw, that is so sweet! I would have loved to get in her circle of friends. :)

Lisa August 29, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Your segment was adorable! Loved it. And congrats!
And I just realized I actually like quinoa last night…I though I didn’t…anyways, this looks delicious! I have got to try it.
I have been on TV…for the random news for school and um a staples commercial that was embarrassing ha ha. Yah, good times.
I had no clue you were a health consultant actually! Did you go to school for that? For some reason I thought you did something else!
I also really wish we got the chance to meet at HLS! Can’t believe we never really got to talk or anything

Lauren August 29, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Thanks Lisa. So glad you liked quinoa. I thought I didn’t like it at first either but it seriously grew on me. Hard! :)
We will definitely need to catch up at the next conference. I kept seeing you at HLS but every time I wanted to go up to you, you were in the middle of a convo with someone. LoL. I swear we are going to make it a point next time! :) xoxo

Kim August 31, 2012 at 3:47 pm

You did great, Lauren! Totally nailed it- congrats!

Lauren August 31, 2012 at 5:28 pm