My Job As a Wellness Coach: Your Questions Answered

by Lauren on October 23, 2012

Many of you have been asking about my new position as a wellness coach and I thought I would take a few minutes to answer some questions regarding this role.

1. How did you find the job? – I’m constantly looking around my area on the latest jobs in the health and fitness industry.  Ever since leaving my full-time career, I’ve been able to devote more time into developing myself as a self-employed writer and more into the health world.  A few weeks ago, I came across a posting on Craig’s List for a wellness coach position at a local health and recreation club in my area and I decided to reach out to see what the position entailed.  I emailed the manager with a few questions and once she got back to me, I sent along my resume and cover letter.  Within a few days, I got a call back for an interview.

2. What exactly do you do as a wellness coach? – Basically, you are a health cheerleader for people.  I work for a recreation center/gym that accepts members.  My job includes orienting the new members with the fitness center and answering any questions they might have about equipment, fitness plans, classes, etc. I also offer my services as a personalized health coach, much like a personal trainer but on a holistic wellness approach.  I’m not just working out with clients, in fact, I never really work out with them.  I meet with them on a monthly or bi-monthly basis, help them to set their health goals, put together fitness and suggested meal plans based on those goals, provide weekly check-in’s to see how they are meeting those goals, etc.  I have and always believe that health is so individual and so many people fall into a trap of thinking that there is only ONE approach to being healthy.  I help people understand that health is more about knowing your own body and your own goals rather than one universal concept.

3. What experience do you need to have for this career? – I want to be clear that I am in no way a RD or certified personal trainer.  I don’t have a medical background nor did I ever claim this when I interviewed for the job.  I do have credentials in the fitness industry that include AAAI/ISMA certified in group fitness instruction, LES Mils certified in advanced RPM instruction, CPR/first aid trained and certified, and over 3 years of working in a gym.  Truthfully, this job is not medical.  It doesn’t require a professional degree in nutrition or sports medicine because it’s not prescribing or suggesting any medical advice.  Health coaching is encouraging others to be the best they can be and that requires experience.  I have a lot of experience in working with gym-goers and I do have learned knowledge of fitness regiments.  That being said, it certainly doesn’t hurt to have all of the credentials you can because it only gives you more creditability.  I definitely want and intend to go for more certifications and will probably go back for my personal training certification next year.  Right now, time and money are limited so until then, I’m doing my best with that I’ve got.

4. I thought you left your job to go self-employed? Why are you working for a company if you are self-employed? – I still consider myself primarily self-employed and the majority of my time is spent writing, free-lacing, and consulting.  But I also have the ability to devote more time into the fitness career which I have done by taking on more classes at the gym and now with this position.  What sold me on this job was its flexibility.  I can make my own hours and basically construct this in any way I please.  There are no structured procedures in place and they have given me free reign to put everything I want into this.  It’s honestly almost too good to be true! Even though writing is keeping me insanely busy, I still wanted to find some income sources that would be a bit more stable and predictable.  I’m also gaining incredible experience and relationships that I wouldn’t be able to do on my own right now.  As much as I love writing, I miss human interaction.  I need to be with people, helping people and this job allows me to connect with others on a direct level.  Plus, I absolutely love it!

I hope that gives you a better idea of what I’m now doing with my time.  Health coaching, writing, consulting, teaching; I’m dipping my toes into every area that I love and feel truly blessed to be able to have a place in them all.

My schedule is all over the place but I’m getting better at finding a balance and developing a bit more structure.  Right now, I’ve still been able to be home most nights so dinner has been enjoyed with Toly.  It’s good because we’ve both been so busy that dinner is really the only time of day when we are able to connect.

Tonight’s meal was a no-brainer when I saw that Wegman’s had brought back our absolute favorite salmon.  The organic salmon is by far the best we’ve ever had.  I know I’ve gotten a few comments about organic fish and whether or not its safe since it’s technically not wild caught so I decided to ask the seafood expert behind the counter.

He assured me that this salmon comes from a fully sustainable environment off a bay in Ireland.  The fish are raised in fresh water, 100% pure and safe.  They take on a stronger flavor since the taste of salt water in eliminated.  They are also fatter in comparison because they are fed a rich diet.

I’m sold.  I used our organic salmon purchase to make one of my favorite salmon salads.

5.0 from 1 reviews

Citrus Avocado Salmon Salad
Salad, Entree

Ingredients
  • 4 oz salmon
  • ¼ tsp chili powder
  • ¼ tsp brown sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 cups salad greens
  • ¼ of an avocado, sliced
  • ¼ cup mandarin organes
  • 2 tbsp dired cranberries
  • 2 tbsp crumbled goat cheese
  • 2 tbsp roasted sliced almonds
Instructions
  1. Season the salmon with salt, pepper, chili powder and brown sugar. Set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  2. Heat and oil a grill or skillet over medium high heat. Place salmon (skin side down) on the hot grill and cook for 4 minutes.
  3. Flip salmon and remove skin. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes on the other side or until fish is done.
  4. On a large plate, layer greens. Add salmon on top.
  5. Arrange remaining ingredients around salmon and top with your favorite salad dressing.

This salmon was like butter.

I topped my salad with my favorite raspberry balsamic dressing, but a nice poppyseed would also be fantastic.

Well I’ve got a full day ahead of me.  A few free-lance jobs in the morning, I’m working at the health club in the afternoon and then I’ve got RPM practice later on.

Have a terrific Tuesday!

Question: What would be your dream job?

I think mine would be a chef on Foodnetwork.  Of course I’d want to have a few books published, my own cooking line and maybe a reality tv show. :)

Steph @fitmomtraining October 23, 2012 at 8:45 am

I have so many dream jobs! I would love to be a travel photographer for National Geographic, a fitness instructor/trainer so I could hold clinics that get those who can’t afford a gym into shape and eventually open a non-profit gym.

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm

That sounds like such a nice thing. I hope it all works out for you! :)

Danielle @ clean food creative fitness October 23, 2012 at 8:50 am

Your job is exactly the type of thing I am looking for myself! I guess I just have to keep looking because it’s good to see that jobs like this actually exist out there! Sounds awesome!

Taryn October 23, 2012 at 9:02 am

Your salads always look so delicious! I crave a good salad almost daily but when I make one myself I never like it. If only buying a good salad once a day was financially responsible!

Natalie @ Free Range Human October 23, 2012 at 9:05 am

My dream job would be a curator at the American History Smithsonian Museum or a National Park Ranger.

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 23, 2012 at 9:07 am

You are doing *precisely* want I hope to some day. I have a Masters in Psych and my PT through ACSM and my dream is to be a Holistic Health/Wellness counselor. I tried to email some local gyms about working with them a few months ago but most of them couldn’t even comprehend what my role would be. If there is any way you could email me your job description/craigslist ad that listed the job I’d so appreciate it! Erica@EricaDHouse.com

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I would love to do that but I don’t think I still have the original listing nor is it available anymore but if you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me any time love. :)

Mila @ Tales From The Kitch October 23, 2012 at 9:19 am

My dream job is actually to own my own business in marketing. I’m halfway there, but I’ve got a good 5 years before it can really happen!

Your salad looks delicious! I would LOVE to do something like this for lunch! It looks like it would hold up really well.

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm

That’s a great goal and I wish you the very best in getting there! It will be so rewarding once you’ve reached it. :)

Alexis @ Hummusapien October 23, 2012 at 9:20 am

That is one GORGEOUS piece of salmon! I love when it’s super tender and buttery. I bet the combo of salmon, avocado, oranges and goat cheese was divine!

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Oh my it is!!!

Sara @ sarasmiles October 23, 2012 at 9:22 am

Mine would be owning a quaint bakery/specialty foods shop, preferably in a beach town somewhere…

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm

AH, love it!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 23, 2012 at 9:32 am

I honestly think this health coach job just sounds AWESOME! And would be right up my alley too, so if they ever need a second position… ;) (j/k…kinda)

I realized that I have a strong urge to write a book (or two) and in fact kind of started the outline and intro this weekend. It’s very exciting for me and I hope to see it through the fruition.

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Good for you Katie!! That’s an incredible aspiration and I’m sure you’ll do so well with it. :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 23, 2012 at 10:15 am

Your new job sounds right up your alley! I’m happy for you!! And that salmon… Yum! You truly know how to make food look beautiful!

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Thanks love!

Alysha @Shesontherun October 23, 2012 at 11:07 am

My dream joy for the longest time was to be a writer for a soap opera :) My favorite show was “All My Children.” I’m still sad it was taken off the air!

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Haha that would be fun! So much drama involved with that one. ;)

Lindsay October 23, 2012 at 11:52 am

That job sounds awesome – I’m so jealous! I’ve never had salmon on a salad… I need to try it because yours looks delicious!

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite October 23, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Congrats on the new job- it seems like a perfect fit for you! Aaaand your salmon salad just made my mouth water. Looks aweeeesome!

kim@hungryhealthygirl October 23, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Your dream job sounds wonderful! I would love to open up my own gym/spa/healthy bistro. That salad looks amazing….love salmon with avocado! By the way, I’m eating your Apple Autumn Quinoa Salad right now and it is delicious. Can’t wait to try more of your recipes.

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I would love to open up my own business too! Or winery. Oh there are so many wonderful possibilities!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions October 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I think my dream job would be taste tester for the chefs on Food Network haha. Either that or professional coffee dater…or product tester for Trader Joe’s. Yep. Any/all of those would be perfectly all right with me! ;)

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm

A professional coffee dater? That sounds brilliant!

janetha {meals & moves} October 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I am so excited for you!

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Thanks hun!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 23, 2012 at 4:34 pm

This sounds like the perfect job for you! I’d love to be an RD, but God knows I would NEVER be able to make it through such a math/science-heavy program!

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I feel the same way! Math and science were never my thing.

Sara October 23, 2012 at 9:19 pm

That salad looks so yummy, I will be trying out the recipe very soon! My dream job is to be a personal trainer, fingers crossed it happens someday!

Floey October 24, 2012 at 6:44 am

Can you come over and make my salads? Thanks :)
My dream job would be writing or doing social media for a company.

{ 1 trackback }