WIAW: Halloween Edition

by Lauren on October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween

Here are some fun Halloween facts for you all:

• Four-in-ten (41%) adults admit that they sneak sweets from their own candy bowl.
  • On Halloween night, the majority (52%) of those providing treats to costumed kiddies will be passing out chocolate, while three‐in‐ten will drop hard candy or lollipops into the sacks.
  • 62% of adults will be handing out candy because “it’s a personal favorite” or it’s a household tradition (55%)
  • 43% of grown-up celebrants cite costumes as one of the most indispensable parts of the holiday.
  • About 26% of households will include full-size candy (chocolate and non-chocolate) in their Halloween activities.
  • 90% of parents admit to sneaking goodies from their kids’ Halloween trick-or-treat bags.

We were supposed to have trick-or-treat night tonight and it would have been the first time (in forever) that trick-or-treat night actually feel on the official holiday, but due to the aftermath of the hurricane, it has been postponed until this Saturday.  Boo!

I did buy a bag of candy last week but it looks like it won’t be going to any little ghosts and goblins this year since we won’t be around this weekend to hand any of it out.  More for us!

I haven’t done a “What I Ate Wednesday” post in a very long time and seeing as it’s the end of the month, I’m a little late on the theme for October, Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats.

Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats

I’m not even really sure what that means but here it goes…..

Always beginning with coffee.  Don’t let the cup fool you, this was one 8oz but I’m pretty sure I could have downed 20 this morning if given the chance.

I had to head into the gym this afternoon to see some schedule clients and on my way there, I stopped at the much to convenient Starbucks that sits directly beside the facility.  Have I told you how much I hate that the Starbucks is in direct route to work.  I think I’ve stopped there 9/10 times and I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon.

• Small bold with a few dashes of cinnamon

Lunch

I brought my lunch into work with me and ate at my desk in between appointments.

• Egg Whites with spinach on a Thomas’s Pumpkin Spice English Muffin with pumpkin butter and laughing cow cheese
  • Grapes

I haven’t done this sweet n’ savory egg sandwich in so long!  I once went through a period where I would eat these almost every single day and think I burned myself out.  Over a year later, they are back and better than ever!

Snack

Later on in the afternoon, I snacked on a honeycrisp and a handful of almonds to keep me going until dinner.

Once I got home, I finished up a few work (blog) related items and then got to work on dinner.

• Almond crusted tilapia
  • Green beans
  • Salad with mandarin oranges, avocado, feta and hemp seeds

Not sure what dessert will be but the Edy’s slow-churned pumpkin ice cream sitting in my freezer looking pretty darn promising.

Hope you all enjoyed a wonderful Halloween full of endless treats!

Question:

What is your favorite Halloween candy? - Mine is milky ways.  I used to talk my sister into trading all of her snickers for her milky ways and ended fully stocked with them for the entire year.

Looking For More:

Check out my new favorite soup recipe on the Shiloh Farms blog: Creamy Pumpkin and White Bean Soup.

Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife October 31, 2012 at 8:43 pm

what great facts! I love them! (: and Your foods look soooo goooood! Gosh I really need to hire you as my personal chef! (:

Lauren October 31, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Awww, you’re so sweet. I would LOVE to cook for you sometime! ;)

Karen October 31, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I’m in the 90% that steals candy from my kids’ bags! They won’t even notice a few pieces missing :) My favorite Halloween candy is probably Twix or Butterfingers – both are awesome.

Lauren October 31, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Haha, I will be the same way when I have kids. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 31, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Okay I totally just had the conversation with the Husband about how I hand out the candy I do because it’s my favorite! TOo funnY!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 31, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Only 62% hand out their favorite candy? That’s actually kind of surprising! I would assume that everyone handed out the candy that they love – I know I do! KitKats, Coffee Crisps, and Aeros all the way :D Most of that is because I’m allergic to peanuts, though, so I always buy candy that’s peanut-free.

Anne November 1, 2012 at 1:38 am

Mmm what is is it abouy egg whites that is so darn delicious???

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 1, 2012 at 6:35 am

I find it verrry hard to believe that only 41% of people sneak candy from their own candy bowl… no way! haha It’s gotta be more like 99% ;-)

Lauren November 1, 2012 at 6:40 am

I know! I didn’t believe it either.

Ellie November 1, 2012 at 8:50 am

I’m guessing that the other 6 out of 10 don’t consider it “sneaking” because it is their own bowl!!! haha!

Otherwise, I would like to meet these people and ask them why and how?

Kristin November 1, 2012 at 8:32 am

That Edy’s pumpkin ice cream is amazing!! Hubby and I already went through a container :-)

Steph @ StephSnacks November 1, 2012 at 9:51 am

My favorite Halloween candy is definitely Milky Way, too!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries November 1, 2012 at 10:23 am

I need to try that egg sandwich combo with the pumpkin english muffins!! My favorite Halloween candy would definitely have to be Reese’s with Butterfinger and Snickers coming in a close second.

janetha {meals & moves} November 1, 2012 at 5:44 pm

i had a big talk about candy yesterday.. TWIX gets my vote!

Carli November 1, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I eat lunch at my desk by choice. My area is mostly quiet so there’s no point in leaving.

My favorite is Kit Kats! Mmmmm

Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset November 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Mmm, your eats always look so colourful and fresh! LOVE IT! :)