This past weekend, we celebrated Daylight Saving by turning the clocks back an hour to gain an extra 60 minutes of sleep.
I use the term “celebrated” loosely. When I woke up yesterday earlier than usual, I first welcomed the thought of having added time in my Sunday to accomplish my to-do list all before 11am. I even made it to yoga which hasn’t occurred in over a month so I would say it was a small victory.
Yes, Daylight Saving was celebrated up until 4:00pm when I realized that the sunlight was fading, the air became bitterly cool and all I wanted to do was go home, crawl under a blanket and hibernate for the next 5 months.
I hate winter. There I said it. Aside from a few glorious holidays, there really ins’t much I look forward to in this season. The only way I’m able to cope with the cold weather and notions of, (gulp) snow, is to comfort the thoughts with heartwarming food.
One kitchen appliance of mine that only ventures outside the box during this time of year would be my crock pot. Slow cooking is a beautiful concept, especially on a lazy Sunday afternoon when all you crave is the warm smells of roasting meats and vegetables that fill your entire house. This chili did just that.
I never one to shy away from a little extra spice in my chili so I thought, why not create a recipe that focuses primarily on the heat. Buffalo chicken anything is sure to please a crowd so you really can’t go wrong when you transform these ingredients into a dish you can eat with a spoon.
This would be ideal for your next football party or even on a busy weeknight. The leftovers are great too so be sure to make enough to last.
|Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili||
- 1.5 pounds ground chicken
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium stalks of celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 28oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can white beans
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a large skillet, sauté onion until soft (about 5 minutes). Add the ground chicken, celery and carrots and cook until meat begins to brown (about 4-5 minutes).
- Remove the meat and vegetables from the pan and transfer into the slow cookers. Add tomatoes, beans, spices, salt and pepper.
- Pour in chicken broth and hot sauce and stir.
- Set slow cooker to low, cover and cook for 5-6 hours.