Permanently Marked

by Lauren on November 6, 2012

Happy Election Day!  No matter where you stand on this heated election, I sincerely hope you choose to exercise today, exercise your right to vote that is.

This will be my second presidential election that I am old enough to have a say and living in Pennsylvania, we are considered a big swing state so the candidates have been doing some pretty heavy campaigning here in the last few months.  I’m not really sure what to think about this election but I do know I’ll be voting either way and YOU SHOULD TOO!!!!

Changing pace, I also wanted to take an opportunity to bring up the topic of the hurricane relief efforts.  Although the storm has passed, the devastation that it has caused for so many has not.  We got extremely lucky in PA but a lot of our surrounding states did not and it breaks my heart to hear the stories of despair that continue to develop.

The only bright note in the midst of a disaster is the amount of people that come forward to show their support.  I have been overwhelmed by the amount of bloggers that have taken action to help.  Clare just posted a great review of so many relief posts that are currently going on in the blog world.  Definitely check it out!

Changing pace again.

This happened yesterday….

Yes that would be a tattoo on my right wrist and it’s 100& real.

I guess I should explain.  I’ve wanted a tattoo for years but I have not been able to fully decide on what I want or where I wanted it.  My original thought was the lotus symbol.  I’ve always loved the image itself, but the meaning behind it is so beautiful and one that resonates very strongly with me.

The lotus represents purity and beauty in many cultures but the story behind this symbol is that its roots sit strong within murky waters, but it’s petals bloom upright towards the sun, meaning perseverance.  To me, this means overcoming odds, always staying rooted in your beliefs, and rising above.

So like I said, I knew I wanted one for awhile now but I still wasn’t set on the location.  I thought about my hip but I really wanted it visible or else I don’t think I would have even gotten one.  Then when I was in Mexico, I decided to get a henna on my wrist to see if I would like it there and I did.

Yesterday, I met my friend for coffee and told her I was just going to do it.  She agreed to come with me and off we went this afternoon.  That was that.

To be honest, it really didn’t hurt that much.  I wasn’t nervous about the pain (I have a high pain tolerance), more the thought of having something so permanent placed on my body but I kept thinking how it really was me and something I could live with forever.

I’m so pleased with how it turned out.

Speaking of being pleased with outcomes, let’s talk about this end result.

Fig, Goat Cheese, and Arugula Pizza
Pizza, Main Entree

Ingredients
  • 1 whole wheat Naan
  • 2 tbsp fig jam (I used Trader Joe’s)
  • 3 fresh figs, sliced
  • 2 tbsp crumbled goat cheese
  • 1 tsp dried rosemary
  • ½ cup baby arugula
Instructions
  1. Spread the fig jam onto the naan.
  2. Top with sliced figs, dried rosemary, and goat cheese.
  3. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is melted.
  4. Remove from oven and top with arugula.

Did you know that the first week of November is National Fig Week?  Neither did I until my friend Janetha told me.

I’ve been spotting figs at the grocery store for the past few weeks but I wanted to have a recipe in mind before I dished out the money for them.  Fresh figs are so elaborate and deserve a worthy recipe as such.

This pizza is not a completely innovate concept as I’ve had this combination before, but this is probably the first time I’ve attempted it at home.

It was so simple I almost feel silly posting it.

But then again, sometimes the simple recipes are the ones that need sharing the most.

Enjoy!

Question:

Do you have any tattoos?

Something to do:

Check out my latest recipe on the Shiloh Farms Blog for Cinnamon Raisin Quinoa Granola.

And while, we’re on the topic of granola, be sure to check out the latest from the NAG Blog too, Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Granola.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 6, 2012 at 8:38 am

I have 2 tattoos but I have the next 2 planned out already. ;) The first one didn’t hurt too bad but the one I have on my ribs was PAINFUL! For me, the idea of it being on my body forever wasn’t that scary because they both (and the next two) have VERY important meanings in my life.

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Oooohhh I can imagine the ribs would be pretty bad. But it does look so cool there!

Danielle @ clean food creative fitness November 6, 2012 at 8:40 am

Love the tattoo! I’ve always wanted one but had no idea what exactly I wanted! I’m also way too chicken to get one! I hate needles! Happy Tuesday!

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I was the same way for a long time but then I just realized if I don’t decide soon, I’ll just make myself crazy about it.

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } November 6, 2012 at 8:46 am

That design is gorgeous! I love simple and meaningful. I have a small star on my right foot that I got on my first date with some guy when I was 19! My only tattoo but I want more – just can’t decide where!

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 9:05 pm

haha, that’s actually a really great story though. :)

Erica November 6, 2012 at 9:01 am

Its so beautiful! I’m usually not a huge tattoo fan- but I love yours! Congrats :) I have none…I also have no piercings. Crazy! That pizza? Also very pretty. Figs are awesome. I agree- hope everyone votes today. I just stood in line with J for an hour and 15 minutes and cast my vote! What a crazy election season its been. I have a lot of relatives in NJ who have been hit very hard by the storm (one of my aunts lost her house- they showed the remains during the red cross concert on tv). I am donating money and tomorrow- blood!

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Erica!
And SO SO proud of you for all that you are doing to help out with the relief efforts. You have one of the biggest heats I know! :)

Jillian November 6, 2012 at 9:10 am

I have 2: a ladybug on my R foot (symbol of good luck in Germany and I’m German in heritage), and comedy/drama masks on my back (reflects my passion for the arts). Looking forward to getting more but haven’t found/created the right design or had the resources to get them yet!

I want a Phoenix somewhere – would have meaning much like your beautiful lotus! Good for you, Lauren! Tattoos are wonderful so long as they are well thought out and truly mean something to the bearer :-)

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Thanks Jillian! I don’t think I knew you had any. I think if I do get another one, it would be on my foot. I’ve always loved them there.

Caitlin November 6, 2012 at 9:21 am

That pizza looks amazing! And I have two tattoos…a part of the Celtic tree of life on the back of my neck…and a symbol for strength in the same spot as your beautiful lotus! Mine is in white ink, though, so you can’t see it too well…always a nice surprise and talking point when people see it :)

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I’ve always loved seeing tats on the back of necks. Hmmm……maybe number 2 for me? :)

Ashley November 6, 2012 at 9:25 am

I don’t have any tattoos but my ex was covered in them! He had an entire sleeve on his left arm and tattoos all over his back. He’s a musician so he felt like getting such visible tattoos was not a problem in terms of being business appropriate. My father was none too pleased when I brought him home for Thanksgiving though. Now I’m married to a nerdy lawyer (whom I love!) so my dad is happy!

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Haha, I married a nerdy financial analyst but dated so many artists and musicians that were the same. Needless to say, my dad is pretty happy now too. :)

Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife November 6, 2012 at 10:20 am

loveeee the tat! I am soooo scared of needles! and would never get one but I love when others d o haha!

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Thanks Danielle! Needles don’t really bother me so I guess I’m a good candidate for them. :)

Anna November 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Loooove your tattoo!!! I have 4 tattoos – all fairly small: one on my hip, one on my ankle, and one on each wrist. I’m warning you… once you get one… they are addicting!!

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Haha, I can see that.

Courtney November 6, 2012 at 1:04 pm

No tattoos for me – I just don’t like the permanence of them (for me). But I like them on other people.

Another fantastic fig recipe: fig and balsamic jam. It’s fantastic in oats, stuffed inside pork, etc. There are a bunch of recipes, but the one I made this weekend was approx. 3 cups of figs, de-stemmed, approximately 1 cup of sugar (I like things less sweet, so in the future might cut this to 1/2-3/4 cup of sugar), approx. 1 cup of balsamic vinegar, and a tsp of whole black peppercorns wrapped in a sachet. Mix everything together and simmer until the figs break down. To test the consistency, place a tbsp on a plate and put it in the fridge for 10 minutes. If it’s too runny, just keep simmering and re-testing until you get a consistency that you like. Remove the jam from the heat, remove the peppercorns, and stir in lemon juice to taste. That’s it!

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Ummm wow, that sounds incredible!

Clare @ Fitting It All In November 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Love it lady!! Elegant:)

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Thanks girl. That’s what I was going for. :)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables November 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I love the tattoo! you’re way tougher than me ;) I have no pain tolerance, so none for me! haha

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Aww, thanks Liz. And it really wasn’t awful, I swear!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 6, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Woohoo! Love the tattoo! I have three stars on my foot. I’ve always wanted to get another one, but haven’t thought of anything cool enough yet. ;-)

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I know! I love your stars! :) If I get another one, it will definitely be on my foot.

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I love it!!! I’ve always wanted a tattoo on my wrist, but I was always worried about it being too visible.

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I was sort of worries about the visibility too but then I realized I really wanted to be able to see it and to easily show others. What’s nice is that I can cover it up with a long sleeve shirt or even a watch or bracelet.

Carli November 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Love your tatoo. So cute! I don’t have any myself, no objection to them though. My sister has five and my son has one.

The pizza looks delish!

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Thanks Carli!

Emelia November 6, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Lauren- I LOVE your tattoo! I have two…one on the back of my neck and one on my foot and I have a third one planned….for my wrist! I’ve been debating on size though! Did it hurt? My foot hurt more than neck and didn’t think the wrist would hurt as bad. Also, are you left or right handed ? Just curious :)

Lauren November 7, 2012 at 7:45 am

Thanks Emelia! It didn’t hurt that bad, just the bottom part closer to the hand. It’s on my right hand and I am right handed. Honestly, I really didn’t think about what hand to get it on but the guy just did it on the right. I do really like it there.

Hillary November 6, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Pizza – yum! I’ve been obsessed with fresh figs all fall. Didn’t know it was ‘their week’ though :)

Sara @ sarasmiles November 7, 2012 at 8:00 am

I love the tattoo. Seems as if you put a lot of thought into it and the meaning of the lotus symbol is very cool.

Sara November 7, 2012 at 11:37 am

Looks lovely! Good for you for going for it. I’m not into tattoos for me, but I appreciate them on others. I think your design choice is really nice. Another good friend of mine just got one in the same spot, too!

By the way, that pizza reminds me of the one we shared in Boston when we explored the city with Clare!

Lauren November 7, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Yes! That is where my original idea came from. :)

janetha November 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm

how exciting for you! glad you got something that means a lot to you.

Lindsay November 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Love your tattoo! I have two…. and no pain tolerance & I hate needles! I love them though, and I also got things that were important to me. Glad you got one after wanting one for so long!

Brittany November 7, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I like tattoos on others but just do t see myself ever getting one. Your hair looks super cute in this pic!

Lauren November 7, 2012 at 8:26 pm

AW thanks! That was my “I’m not doing anything to my hair today” look so I’m flattered you said that. :)

Vanessa November 9, 2012 at 9:16 am

I love your tattoo! I never wanted one, but a couple of years ago I decided (with the urging of my brother) to tattoo my son’s name on my ankle. I figured that was a tattoo I would never regret : )

I think they are cool when they have a special meaning.