Friday Confessions

by Lauren on November 9, 2012

Well I’m certainly glad it’s Friday, are you?

I know I mentioned this a few days ago, but it has been a very long week.  Long in the sense of overly productive; the time seemed to go quite fast, actually.

So what am I looking forward to this weekend?

Well, a MUCH needed hair appointment on Saturday and then catching up with one of my best friends over dinner at a restaurant I’ve been dying to try for years.  (More on that later)

Sunday, I’ll be playing catch up with some work projects since next week, I’m getting ready for my Chicago trip.  Excited doesn’t even begin to explain my feelings about this upcoming venture.  Chelsey and I have a countdown going and remind each other every day that the time is getting nearer.

So last week I started my first round of a new series that I called, Friday Confessions.  I simply wanted to do a lighthearted post on some insignificant thoughts that grace my mind during the week and it sort of turned into an open window for hate comments.  Not at all what I intended but I digress.

I’m going to try this again in hopes that my points are not taken as serious as they were in the last version.  Again, I’m simply trying to convey that I am a real person, having real thoughts- some are valid and others are just plain pointless but sometimes, it just feels good to get things off your chest.

So here we go with round two, hopefully a bit more uneventful than round one!

Confession #1 -

As much as I love to take pictures of my food, my photography skills (or lack there of) are entirely self-taught.  I’m such an amateur and although I’ve spent significant time reading tutorials and watching youtube videos, I’ve never fully engaged myself in a professional class.  I did take film photography in high school but obviously, things have changed since then.  Because I have so much free time on my hands (insert sarcasm here), I decided to sign up for a photography class through a local recreation department.  My first class was last Tuesday and I’m still confused.  Here’s hoping the next session will actually start to make sense for me.

Confession #2-

I found this at Whole Foods and wished I hadn’t.  Just what I need, another granola in my life.  But to its defense, it’s really really good.  I swear, gingerbread seems to be making a commendable attempt to overtake the pumpkin craze this year. And I can’t believe I’m about to say this but, I’m starting to think I may be quick to buy in to it.  First the gingerbread K-cups and now granola.  Let’s see what else they come out with to fuel my seasonal food fixation.

Confession #3-

I’ve only had a handful of moments when I’ve looked down at my tattoo and thought, “What the hell did I do?”  It still feels slightly temporary, but I’m starting to grow into it and accept it as a permanent mark on my body. I really do love it.

Confession #4-

Nothing makes me more happy than opening a fresh jar of almond butter.  It’s like opening a little piece of heaven on Christmas morning.

Confession #5-

Meet my new lunch obsession. Chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts, avocado, hummus and feta; all of these things together in one bowl will give you superpowers.  Okay, maybe not superpowers but it will give you incredible happiness.  It’s delicious!

Confession #6-

I’ve been to Starbucks every single day this week.  I blame it on the red cups.

Confession #7-

My dinner last night (at 9PM) consisted of a bowl of protein oatmeal, followed by two bowls of cereal.  For those of you that think I don’t eat carbs, you are incredibly wrong.

Confession #8-

I am LOVING this new bad, Lord Huron.  One of my spin participants knows how into music I am and brought me a copy of their cd.  I haven’t been able to stop listening to it since.  For those of you that like The Lumineers, The Head and The Heart, and/or Of Monsters and Men, you’ll dig them too!

Speaking of good music, Mumford and Sons tickets go on sale today at 10:00am.  If you are able to get tickets to any of their east coast shows and need someone to go with, I’ll owe you my life!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Don’t Forget:

To enter for a chance to win a Daily Dose of Green product box that contains great samples of  the latest all-natural, organic, and environmentally friendly products. You can enter HERE by leaving a comment on the post. Contest open until Monday, November 12th.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life November 9, 2012 at 8:06 am

I would LOVE to take a photography class! Everything I do has been self-taught too, and I would really, really enjoy learning more. I need to look into that a little more!
Happy Friday, pretty lady! :)

Lauren November 9, 2012 at 9:08 am

I’m definitely enjoying the class and it was sooo reasonable that I couldn’t pass it up. There is only one more so I’m hoping I take even more from it next week.

Danielle @ clean food creative fitness November 9, 2012 at 8:21 am

Gingerbread granola sounds amazing! I love all the holiday flavors! I can’t get enough of the red cups too! Or maybe it’s just the coffee I love ;)

Lauren November 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

Haha, truth!

jennyv November 9, 2012 at 8:36 am

What’s your favorite drink at Starbucks? I was NEVER a Sbux girl, until I started working by one… and now it’s a bi-weekly event!

Lauren November 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

I either go between a dark roast coffee with a shot of steamed soy or an americano with a shot of steamed soy. Oh and I like to add one pump of SF peppermint. I’m actually drinking one as we speak. :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } November 9, 2012 at 8:49 am

When I first got my tattoo I went through a few “OMG this will be on me for the rest of my life” moments and after a few weeks that passed. Now, I literally forget I even have one unless I see it or someone asks!

Lauren November 9, 2012 at 9:06 am

Yeah, I’m thinking it will sink in soon. I do love that it’s on a visible place so I can remind myself of it every day.

daybelis November 9, 2012 at 8:55 am

OMG , I can’t read your blog when I am hungry LOL. I love reading your blog everyday because it always inspire me to cook something new for any of my meals. Laat night I made your tomato, feta and quinoa salad, and it was delicious. I would also like to tell you that I love your tattoo, and this its’ meaning defines you perfectly! I’ve also been obsessed with sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts, matter of fact I think I dream about eating them lol. In regards to your photography, I personally think all your pics look very professional… I mean it looks so real, it does make me drool lol. Hope you have a wonderful day dear!

Lauren November 9, 2012 at 9:05 am

You are so sweet! Thank you so much, it really means a lot about the photos. I’m definitely trying but never claim to be any good. :) Have a great weekend!

WellHeeledRunner November 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

I have never tried almond butter but it sounds amazing. In fact, I’d never even heard of it until I started reading healthy living blogs! Have a fab weekend.

Lauren November 9, 2012 at 9:11 am

Oh my, you must give it a try. I can’t tell you the last time I ate actual peanut butter. The world of exotic nut butters is an incredible thing!

WellHeeledRunner November 9, 2012 at 9:21 am

I don’t know if they sell it in the UK as I’ve never seen it, but I’m flying to the States tomorrow so I WILL buy some! :)

Caitlin November 9, 2012 at 9:11 am

I LOVE your tattoo :) And I want that gingerbread granola. And I need to get to starbucks for one of those red cups.

And I hope you have a wonderful weekend….sans free of people being silly :)

Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete November 9, 2012 at 9:31 am

Stumbled across your blog through Courtney’s (Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life). I absolutely LOVE your tattoo. Did it hurt getting it done? I have 5 and I’m still such a baby about it haha I’ve had a few tattoos that took a little getting used to, too, so don’t worry! But looking back, I’m honestly glad for every single one and their personal meaning for me :)

Lauren November 9, 2012 at 9:34 am

Hi Molly! Thanks for stopping by. Thanks so much for your kind words as well. It honestly didn’t hurt that bad. Just when he filled in closer to my hand. Haha, and thanks for the relief. It’s definitely starting to seem more normal. Have a great weekend!

Diane November 9, 2012 at 9:42 am

I loved reading your confessions! I am contemplating getting a tattoo next month but can’t decide if I would be constantly looking at it and regretting it. It’s good to know that those moments happen but don’t seem to be more than temporary :) I have also been to Starbucks every day this week. Stupid red cups. And lastly, I have been eating a ton of cereal lately too. I had two bowls last night after I left my bible study – gotta love the evening carb cravings ;) Have a great weekend Lauren :)

Cara November 9, 2012 at 9:45 am

That gingerbread granola looks amazing! I love the seasonal flavors that are around right now.
Your photos always look great, but I totally know what you mean about photography being confusing. I’ve taken 2 classes and have read many tutorials and I still can’t keep it all straight, maybe one day!

Jennifer (Savor) November 9, 2012 at 10:15 am

I adore each confession and want to eat your lunch now served with a side of # 6!

Sarah K. November 9, 2012 at 10:21 am

I had to go back and read last Friday’s comments to see what the buzz was all about. Seriously, some people just troll around looking for an argument because they have nothing better to do. Don’t let it get to you!

So, I really want to try that gingerbread granola. I just had that Love Crunch brand for the first time last week in carrot cake. It was delicious! It tastes so fresh!

By the way, I’m from the same area as you, and I work for a local TV station in the advertising department and saw you on one of our spots for a bank I will leave unnamed for privacy pursposes! That was you, right? I was like “Oh my gosh, she has a blog, and I read it and love it!”

Jenna November 9, 2012 at 10:28 am

Hi Lauren!
I’ve never read comments on your site and have never commented myself, but WOW, people can be RIDICULOUSLY mean-spirited! I love love LOVE your blog and find you to be very healthy and sane. Your meals look healthy as well but also hefty and normal and in no way disordered. Fantastic meal ideas, realistic exercise and very sensitive social commentary is what I see here. Anyone who sees anything else is either projecting or very unhealthy themselves.
Keep on writing!

Steph @ StephSnacks November 9, 2012 at 10:43 am

I’ve been to Starbucks almost every single day, too! I’ll also blame it on the red cups ;)

Erica November 9, 2012 at 11:14 am

heheh- I’ve been to starbucks every day too :) I’m getting my hair done next Friday- its just the best, isn’t it?

Kirsten November 9, 2012 at 11:32 am

Have you ever tried the Love Crunch dark chocolate berry granola? It is amazing! So good with yogurt and fresh berries.

Lauren November 9, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I have and I agree!

Kristin @ My Mission Impossible November 9, 2012 at 11:41 am

That is so great about the photography class, something I would love to do but can’t find the time, or a good camera to use lol…can’t wait till the 1st!!!

Erika November 9, 2012 at 11:59 am

I hope you keep doing the Friday Confessions – they are fun and I certainly didn’t take anything you said too serious.

I get to go to Trader Joe’s in 4 weeks! I don’t have one very close to me :( My list keeps growing and Almond Butter is definitely on it!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm

How cool on the photography class! I’m not that into the photography side of blogging, but still would love to learn a thing or two.

I can’t beleive your confessions last week got any sort of negativity. That’s just nonsense.

PS – I’m with you on the ginerbread thing.

Clare @ Fitting It All In November 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm

LOVE YOU. that’s all.

Andrea November 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I don’t understand why people are saying you don’t eat carbs — you eat stuff like granola, muffins, waffles, english muffins, etc. every day for goodness sake … people are bent on being mean, I guess.

I’ve been working at Starbucks every morning this week, so I’m right there with you on confession #6! Not so much on the almond butter confession — I never look forward to opening a new jar because of the tiresome stirring & oily mess. :)

Lauren November 9, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Haha, I always lick the spoon as a reward for all of the hard effort that goes into stirring. ;)

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions November 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I think people see the word “confession” and automatically associate that with coming clean for a serious wrong you committed, which is why I think some people got all up in arms over last week’s post. I think they might have taken what you wrote as a serious, legitimate confession when that was not at all your intent. (That, and the fact that someone must have torn down a metaphorical bridge somewhere in Blogland, because the trolls have been out in full force lately!). Whaaaaaaatever. I appreciate a nice, lighthearted Friday post. Haters gonna hate.

That granola sounds INCREDIBLE. Ohh man. Definitely have to keep that in mind the next time in Whole Foods! And goodness gracious would I love to go to a Mumford concert. I just got their newest CD a couple of weeks ago (I know, I know. A little late getting on that train) and ugh. Love. It’s so good!

Lauren November 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm

You definitely said it right! And the new Mumford and Sons album is amazing. I listened to it for 2 weeks straight. Sadly, I didn’t get tickets today. :(

Ashley November 10, 2012 at 10:54 am

What is your favorite/ typical drink you order from there? :-)

Lauren November 10, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I go back and forth between Americanos and Mistos with a shot of steamed soy.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 10, 2012 at 6:44 pm

LOVE that band! Are you planning any kind of blogger meet-up while you’re in Chicago? :)

Angela @ Beauty in Strength November 10, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I just bought TJ Almond Butter for the first time, and now I can’t wait to try it! I always bought Justin’s but I head TJ’s is pretty amazing. :)

miki November 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm

thanks for the lord huron recommendation! I just downloaded and love it. Hope you had a nice weekend.

Lauren November 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm

So glad you like them! I’ve been listening to their cd all weekend! So good!

Allison November 11, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Ok I am loving the tattoo! But I am still a little nervous about doing something so permanent to my body. AHHH What finally made you decide to go ahead and get one?

Lauren November 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Thanks Allison! I have wanted one for years and I honestly got tired of thinking about it. I knew what I wanted and once I decided on the wrist, I knew I just had to go and do it and stop wasting time. :)