I Surrendered to Drugs

by Lauren on December 9, 2012

And I’m officially down for the count.

As much as I don’t enjoy subjecting my body to antibiotics, sometimes, Kombucha, eucalyptus tea, and neti pots just won’t suffice.

It all started Friday morning when I woke up in Chicago with a tickle in my through and a few body aches.  It got progressively worse throughout the morning, and by the time I boarded my flight, I was engaged in a full blown fever, chills, aches, pains and then some.

Traveling with the flu is just about the worst thing imaginable.

My grand plans of being incredibly productive this weekend were sadly crushed when I realized my body hated me.  As much as I fought it with kale smoothies and apple cider vinegar shots, my symptoms just got progressively worse.

This morning, I woke up to what I knew was a full blown sinus infection.  I use to get these infections frequently; however, have been lucky over the past several years.  I honestly don’t remember it ever being this bad.

I stumbled out of bed, had a personal encounter with my neti pot and laid on the couch for a few hours before I eventually attempted to eat something.

Pumpkin Oats in a Jar with Banana and Gingerbread Granola

Just when I thought I sensed a sheer ounce of relief, I got dressed, thinking I might be able to make it though a little yoga.  As I was driving to the gym, I realized there was no way in hell I would make it though a single downward dog without falling flat on my face.  I bypassed the entrance and headed straight to urgent care for some antibiotics.

Again, I’m not so quick to jump on antibiotics for a few reasons, but mainly because I have a really bad history with these drugs from my Crohn’s.  Anything potentially harsh on the colon, I’m weary of.

The doctor was able to put me on a less potent prescription after I confessed my  hesitation so hopefully all will be well.

I waited almost two hours at the doctor and still had to run to the store to pick up some essentials.  It was the very last thing I wanted to do but I’m pretty sure we can’t survive off of half a container of hummus and christmas cookies all week.

After a record breaking shopping time, I raced home, downed my meds and made lunch.

This sandwich was stuck in my head all morning.  Pay attention….

Two slices of whole wheat bread, lightly toasted, hummus, spinach, goat cheese, avocado, and one runny egg.

No words.

I’m already starting to feel better, thanks to the highly potent effects of Western medicine.

So unfortunately, that has been the extent of my weekend.  I haven’t moved more than a few feet at a time.  I haven’t worked out in 3 days, and I haven’t accomplished nearly as much as I had hoped.

Life goes on.

Oh and to top it all off, I came come from my trip to this surprise…..

My larger-than-life husband has once again proved that he is not invincible, much to his dislike.  A nasty fall in basketball has resulted in some pretty sever ligament damage in his right ankle.

So we are full of fun here.  Feel free to stop over for the pity party we are planning on throwing ourselves later tonight.  Spinach shots, perkaset, and a few boxes of tissues for everyone!

Question:

When do you give up on natural remedies and give in to medication?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 9, 2012 at 4:29 pm

ha! Okay, I am totally with you on not wanting to succumb to antibiotics. Thursday was the first time in over probably five years that I took them. My stomach was not liking it for two days afterwards! I hope you feel better soon love!

Erica December 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm

ohhhh no! Hope you both are feeling better!!I think you both need a good order in night :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In December 9, 2012 at 5:14 pm

awww you two! feel better and take care of each other!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } December 9, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I try the best I can to heal myself before going to the doctors – but it’s good that you listened to your body and realized when you needed some extra healing! Hope you feel better soon!

Olivia Hill @ life as liv December 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Honestly, I give into drugs pretty soon. I’m a fan of taking advil for my headache as opposed to try and find some other natural remedy. I’m a baby when it comes to pain and sickness. Luckily, I don’t have to revert to medicine a lot because I don’t get sick a lot! I hope you feel better soon and those western drugs do their job!

Andrea December 9, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Ugh, you just gave me the chills imagining you getting on the plane feeling like that. That’s the worst!

Laura @ Start from Scratch December 9, 2012 at 6:51 pm

So sorry you are ill :(
It is never easy to go for antibiotics but I’m sure you’ll keep pumping your body full of probiotics to ward off any stomach issues. I wish I lived closer, I could bring you some homemade soup!
Take care!!

Anne December 9, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Ugh sick on a plane that has to be the worst! Hope you both feel better soon!

Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife December 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm

awww I hope you feel better and that your hubby doesn’t have to be on crutches for long! they can be such a pain in the butt!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 9, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Ohhh boy, being sick is NO fun! Glad you’re feeling a bit better. Hope you feel totally back to yourself asap!

janetha December 10, 2012 at 11:54 am

awww hope you both get feeling better

Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 10, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Oh no! I’m glad to hear you’re already feeling better and the drugs might be helping. I try my hardest to stay away from drugs because I like to think I give my body what it needs to fight the illness, but sometime you just have to take some drugs to help! Haha!

And I feel your husband on the ankle. Finally getting back to some impact exercises after spraining mine three weeks ago!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions December 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Oof. I spent three weeks in Scotland during college for a May Term, and the cold that was floating around the group happened to hit me two days before we came back to the U.S. Cross-Atlantic flight + super stuffed up head = not fun. Then, of course, we also missed our connecting flight…not exactly my favorite way to heal a cold!

I’m all about ibuprofen when I’m crampy, because I honestly would not be able to function if I didn’t take it. Other than that, though, I usually try to stay away from pills and such. I do take antibiotics for my acne, though. I’ve tried every trick in the book to help my skin, and the only thing that consistently keeps it even remotely clear is antibiotics :/ Boo.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 10, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Hope you’re feeling better today!

And I hope Toly’s ok too!!

laura December 10, 2012 at 8:39 pm

ay yay yay–you’d think as healthy as your lifestyle is you’d never be sick! i wonder if traveling/nasty germs on airplanes had anything to do with it! i have traveling at this time of year because I feel like the air on airplanes is always so stale!

no shame in succumbing to the antibiotics. sometimes doctors know best!