Hello from Chicago!
Yes, I made it, I’m alive and well, and in a complete state of bliss and bewilderment. I will have a much more exclusive post up shortly on my adjustment process, but I’m still working on a securing a few things and getting settled before I’m ready to dish more details. Until then, be assured I’m so happy to be here and trying to soak up every single moment. Thank you all so much for your well wishes and words of encouragement over the past few days.
Now, obviously the next several months are going to take a little adjusting in my own life but also with the life of this blog. I don’t intend to make any drastic changes, but I’m guessing I won’t have the time as I once did, to prepare a plethora of intensive meals out of my tiny apartment kitchen. I’ll also be working so much and at very discontinuous hours so more meals may be eaten on the go or at 3am when I’m getting off. That all being said, I do plan to cook as much as I can when I can. I just discovered I live 5 miles from a Trader Joe’s and within walking distance to one of the biggest Whole Foods in the area. My dream come true!
Yesterday, I found myself with some time in the afternoon, which meant a much needed trip to the store to stock an empty fridge. I picked up a few of the essentials – almond butter, eggs, and hummus – and also just enough ingredients for a comforting solo dinner.
I still have many incredible dinners, lunches, brunches and parties in my future so I know I’ll be fully experiencing the exceptional dining district in my time here, but when the opportunity arises, I hope to still outlet my own passion behind the stove.
Last night, I started to feel settled, opened a bottle of wine, and sat down to my very first meal in this new crazy and exciting life! As I took my first bite of goat cheese infused ravioli, I realized even though I’m far away from my loved ones, I’m happy here and for the next several months this is what I will call home. Cheers to new beginnings!
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s Sun Dried Tomato and Goat Cheese Ravioli
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- 2 sun dried tomato chicken sausage links
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a large non-stick cookie sheet coated with cooking spray, lay broccoli and season with salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Slice the chicken sausage into ½ in rounds and place on the baking sheet with the broccoli. Place sheet in the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil.
- In a separate small saucepan, heat marinara sauce over a medium low heat.
- When the water is boiling, add the ravioli and cook for 3-4 minutes or until done. (Ravioli will float to the top when heated through) Drain and set aside.
- Remove broccoli and chicken sausage from the oven.
- Lay a handful of spinach on a plate and top with ravioli, broccoli and chicken sausage.
- Spoon ½ cup of sauce onto plate and serve with crumbled goat cheese.