WIAW {4.16} The Daily Eats of a Pregnant Woman

by Lauren on April 16, 2014

I’ve mentioned this a few times, but since entering the second trimester, my hunger is all over the place.  Some days I feel completely normal, other days I feel like I could enter an eating competition and win, and then there are days when I don’t feel very hungry at all. (<– For the record, I’m not a fan of those days) For the most part, I’m eating as normal as I can.  Okay okay so maybe there are some extra pickles thrown in there or ketchup on just about everything, but you get the point.

I do say that I’m definitely eating more often than I used to.  I read that I should be eating every 2-3 hours and I think I’m doing a pretty good job at sticking with that.

Breakfast – 7:00am

untitled (1 of 1)-6

Bowl of Kashi H2H with strawberries, banana, almond milk, hemp seeds, and a bit of granola.

untitled (1 of 1)-7

Always with my glass of OJ and a side of prenatal vitamins.

Snack- 10am

I usually start to get hungry around 10:00am so I nibble on some pretzels stashed in my desk drawer.

untitled (1 of 1)

Lunch – 12:30am

untitled (1 of 1)-3

I told you I was all about the deli salads this week.  This was a honey dijon chicken salad from the cafe in my office building served over a small garden salad.  I paired this with a delicious orange.

Dessert was an Adora calcium disk.

untitled (1 of 1)-4

Snack – 2:30pm

untitled (1 of 1)-5

I love these Luna bars!  The strawberry peanut butter is my absolute favorite but the blueberry vanilla is mighty tasty too.

Dinner – 6:30pm

I was planning on making turkey burgers for dinner tonight, but John picked up Salmon on his way home from work.  I forgot I had asked him to do this earlier in the week and completely overlooked my craving for salmon salads.  Fortunately, he remembered so salmon salads were on!

untitled (1 of 1)-6

Tonight’s salad was baby spinach, strawberries, edamame, roasted asparagus, avocado, almonds and goat cheese.  Perfection!

Dessert – 8:30pm

I haven’t had this yet, but I already know it will be the very last of my baked oatmeal.  I’ve been enjoying this almost every night for dessert, topped with a little vanilla yogurt and chocolate chips.  I’m very sad to see this go but John has promised to make me another batch soon.  Figure he might as well perfect the recipe while I’m pregnant and can eat copious amounts.

And that is what a typical day looks like.  Again, there are some days when I am way more hungry and may have a few more snacks thrown in, but for the most part, I’m still eating as wholesome and as many nutrient dense meals as I can.

Question: What is your favorite granola bar? I’m partial to Lara bars and Luna bars.  I haven’t really jumped on the Quest protein bar train.  I think I’ve had one and didn’t think it was worth the price.

Erica April 16, 2014 at 8:56 pm

YUMMMM! I still can’t wait to make that baked oatmeal! Great day of eats. Deli salads are just awesome- right? Sounds like your man is so good to you (well deserved ;) ). I love CERTAIN quest bars. The cookie dough and new oreo are both amazing. I also like clif mojo bars

Lauren April 17, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I’m so so blessed. :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 16, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Oh man! That bowl of cereal looks amazing…I’ve seriously been craving cereal for WEEKS and it’s been awhile since I’ve had Kashi. YUM!

janetha April 17, 2014 at 12:36 pm

haha you eat much healthier than this pregnant woman. good job!

ErikaMC April 17, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I love Larabars and Luna bars too but I haven’t had the fiber ones yet. I also like Clif bars and just making my own. The options in my small town are very limited.

I’ve been snacking on baked oatmeal this week too!

Emily G April 17, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I get so excited to read your posts! I am due about a week before you ( I hit 17 weeks this past Tuesday). I cannot wait for my appetite back! unfortunately I am still down 2lbs from when I found out I was expecting but thankfully baby is right on track growth-wise so it’s managing to get what it needs :) I look forward to going through this journey “with” you! :)

Lauren April 17, 2014 at 3:13 pm

How exciting Emily! Did you guys find out the sex yet?

Emily G April 17, 2014 at 5:48 pm

We are going to have a surprise :) Didn’t think I’d ever be able to wait to find out because I am such an OCD plan everything type but it just feels right.

Lauren April 17, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Oh that’s so great! I could never do it but I admire people that can so much.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 17, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I love your cereal bowl! Cute design and colors.

I love Larabars, Luna Bars, Clif bars, and some flavors of Quest bar. I wasn’t a fan of certain flavors, and I like them better heated up a bit.

Lauren April 17, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Thanks! I think I got it at World Market.
Maybe heating them up would change my mind. I can’t remember if I’ve had the cookie dough but I hear that is the one to get.

mindy April 18, 2014 at 9:59 am

Hi Lauren! I’m so happy you’re back to regular posting. Just wondering… what sort of work are you doing now? Also, I’ve been struggling with amenhorea for over a year and recently gained weight, but still no period. I was curious what weight you had to reach to get your cycle back… if you don’t feel comfortable writing it on your blog, could you please e-mail me directly? Thank you so much! Seeing your pregnant give me hope!! :)

Lauren April 18, 2014 at 10:09 am

Hi Mindy! Thanks so much for reaching out. I’m currently working for a company in the Boston area doing marketing – social media, design, strategic development, etc. I’m so sorry to hear your struggles. I know how defeating it can all be. I’m not really sure there is a “magic number” in terms of what you have to reach to get your period back and truthfully, I didn’t really weight myself at all that year when I got it back. I would guess I gained about 10-15 pounds in order for it to come back regularly. It’s funny because I always thought my old weight was “healthy” and according to the magazines, it was, but when your body isn’t functioning properly,the number on the scale has nothing to do with it. Now I know that my body needed to be at a higher number than I thought in order to be truly healthy. Try not to look at your weight in terms of numbers, especially now. Look at your gains at how your body is operating as an indicator. That always helped me. Good luck and feel free to email me with any more questions.

Addie April 18, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I love the lavender nail polish and I love Essie!!! It’s so pretty. Also, I am a registered dietitian and I think the diet pop is perfectly safe in moderation. I used to work in maternal health nutrition and I’ve seen many a healthy mom and baby born to a mom that enjoyed diet beverages.