I had a hard reality check this morning.
As I was sitting at my kitchen table, taking the first sip of my iced coffee, I felt a sudden burst of chill head down my spin. The nearby window was cracked slightly and the crisp September wind approached my bare arms. I sat back, took one last sip of my coffee and realized something…..
This means that iced coffee will probably come to a close this week, yogurt bowls will start to be replaced with more bowls of warm oats, and my bare feet will need cozy socks to keep comfortable.
So next week, I’m making the transitions. Don’t be surprised to see pumpkin emerge in that mix, but you all know, once the first can gets opened, it’s all orange from there!
The sun was deceiving this morning as I thought it was warmer than it really was. Cold cereal and cold coffee sounded like a good idea until I realized I would need a hoodie to actually enjoy them both.
- Kashi Go Lean Crunch
- Sun Butter
- Sliced Almonds
- Almond Milk
Although I’m becoming much more accepting of the seasonal change, I’m obviously not there quite yet. Dinner last night reflected this as I sought for something light and fresh that still incorporated the last of summer’s produce.
My dinner plans got changed last minute so I found myself in my kitchen without a clue of what to make. Being unprepared is something most people stress over when it comes to cooking, but I kind of like the challenge. My number one priority is making a delicious meal and sure there are times when laziness triumphs any effort so PB&J’s are about the only thing that results. But last night, I somehow came up with this as I went and it turned out beautifully.
Quinoa with Summer Squash, Roasted Chicken, Spinach, Corn and Tomatoes
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 chicken breast, diced into large pieces
- ½ cup sliced zucchini
- ½ cup sliced yellow squash
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup sweet corn
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon agave
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare chicken. Season with 1 tsp of olive oil salt and pepper, place on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cooked.
- Prepare quinoa as directed.
- In a large skillet, saute squash in 1 tsp of oil, salt and pepper for 5-6 minutes until squash begins to soften and brown.
- Add cooked quinoa, corn, and cherry tomatoes.
- Add cooked chopped chicken and spinach.
- In a small bowl, mix balsamic and agave.
- Pour dressing over skillet and mix to combine.
- Stir in feta cheese and let mixture cook for 1-2 minutes so the flavors incorporate.
Mission accomplished on all factors, taste, ease, and nutrition.
I’m not ready for big bowls of comforting chili just yet, but I’d say these dishes are becoming a nice transition. Plus, it’s not a salad!
What comfort meals are you most looking forward to this fall?